Motherboard or PSU?

detroit1992

ok i have been searching for 3 days now.and still got no answer. but im trying to build my own computer.. i plugged everything in. but when i plugged in the PSU. the motherboard has a green light on it. but when i push the power button on tower nothing happens. also the fans do not spin inside the case and the PSU fan does not spin ether.could it be the motherboard Cpu or Psu thats bad? and i do not have an extra computer to test and see whats wrong.

Could the motherboard be shorting to the case? Did you use motherboard standoffs or perhaps the standoffs were built into the motherboard tray of the case?

the standoffs were already on the case and i did not place my motherboard on top of them because it did not align right for my motherboard to fit properly instead it placed perfectly over holes where i then screwd the motherboard on the case.

The front panel connector could be wired incorrectly. It's worth another check to see if everything is placed where they need to be.

If you didn't move the standoffs to the locations where they would line up with the motherboard holes, your motherboard is likely shorting to the case through the misplaced standoffs.

the standoffs were already on the case and i did not place my motherboard on top of them because it did not align right for my motherboard to fit properly instead it placed perfectly over holes where i then screwd the motherboard on the case.

Yep, mailpup is right - what you did is wrong. You must use the standoffs or some other sort of thing to get the board off the tray.

Just to be clear, did you move the standoffs from their original locations to their proper locations? Also, you don't have any unused standoffs in the wrong places, correct?

update ok i dont know how but i got the computers heat sink fan to spin and the case fan to spin and its on and everything is running But only when i used a screw driver.. on the 2 pins.. i still cant turn on the computer from tower button only screw driver. i get a blinking light drama led checks the dram in sequence if an error is found.. but im sure i have everything pluged in correctly. but why do i have to use a screw driver in order to turn it on

If the computer does not boot up it could mean only 3 things. It means either the computer is asking too much of the PSU, the Motherboard is broken, or you are using incompatible memory. ( But you didn't mention doing anything to the memory so that should rule number 3 out)

Here is how you can find out: unplug your CD drives, your GPUs and any other non-essential components you have attached. Try and power on the computer with nothing but the motherboard, main HDD, and standard memory attached, if it still wont boot,then its likely your motherboard has bought the farm. If it does boot, then we know you just need more power.

If you can short the pwr pins on the mobo and it starts, but can't start it with the power button plugged into those... then the power button is broke. That seems like a simple diagnosis, what am I missing here?

Yeah double check the manual to make sure your hooking the switch up to the correct pins.

Take a screw driver and touch it across the pins to see if you have it right. Odds are you've hooked up the switch to the wrong pins. So poke around with a screw driver and see which two turn on the machine.

Back