Mozilla and partners launch first Firefox OS smartphone

Jos

Staff

firefox spain

Up until now Firefox OS devices have only been available to developers and in limited quantities. But starting tomorrow people in Spain will be able to get the ZTE Open through Telefónica, for just for 69 euros (about $90) or 2.38 euros ($3.10) per month on a two-year contract. This is the first consumer Firefox OS handset to hit the market and will be followed later on by the Alcatel One Touch Fire.

Further details remain scarce until other manufacturers and wireless carriers make their own announcements, but Mozilla says they are working with more than 20 hardware and operator partners around the world. Only 21% of global mobile subscribers have smartphones, according to estimates, and though competition is fierce, the company hopes to capitalize on this with budget devices built entirely on open web technologies.

Telefonica will be taking Firefox OS to Latin America later this year, while a Norwegian carrier called Telenor plans to sell handsets based on Mozilla’s mobile platform in Central and Eastern Europe.

firefox spain

Announced at Mobile World Congress in Barcelona earlier this year, the ZTE One has a 3.5-inch screen paired with a 1GHz processor from Qualcomm and 256MB of RAM. Other specs include a mere 512MB of onboard storage and basic features such as a 3.2-megapixel camera and support for Wi-Fi and A-GPS.

On the software side of things, Mozilla says Firefox OS includes all the things people need from a smartphone out of the box – calls, messaging, email, camera and more. It also includes built-in social features with Facebook and Twitter, Here Maps with offline capabilities and smart walking, driving and public transit directions, Firefox browser (duh!) and “a new ability to discover one-time use and downloadable apps.”

Additional HTML5 based apps can be downloaded through the Firefox Marketplace.

Check out the video below for a quick look at some Firefox OS features.

Permalink to story.

Dual core 1ghz smartphones are very cheap now. I know they are going for the cheapest phones on the market, but we already have a lot of china quality android ones.
they need to work a lot more if they want a piece of the pie.

Wow. Sometimes the race has started so long ago, it doesn't even make sense to compete. Firefox apps? lol. If the OS is as bloatey as the browser, no thanks. Android PAWNS this market.

To me it looks unappealing. Plus, I don't have any problems with Android since it is easy to use, very customizable, has tons of unique launchers and skins, apps and so on...

The OS is reminiscent of the past touch screen phones we've already had from LG act.

The only thing impressive about this is how powerful HTML5 is by building an OS with it I'm quite impressed but I'm not surprised considering how versatile it is with very little effort.

Oh I don't know... I wouldn't mind taking it for a spin. Maybe this will make smartphones even cheaper... Always a good thing.

I don't use 3/4th of the apps I have on my phone, so if they would keep the bloatware at a minimum, I might consider picking this phone up.

The photo displays the ZTE logo. I have been using ZTE networking components ( Modems, routers) for well over 5 years. My ISP (BSNL) which is the largest telephony service provider in the country uses ZTE products at exchange level. While D-Link and Belkin products simply and literally fell apart ( mainly antennas and power supplies) aprt from going dead, ZTE products are going strong without even slightest glitch. These are working in 24/7 environment. So I would not compare them with other Chinese range of Android phones, at least not from the build point of view. So yes there is very definitely a need for low cost good quality products.

Back