Mozilla's vice president of Firefox to leave the company next month

Himanshu Arora

Staff

Johnathan Nightingale, Mozilla's vice president of Firefox, has announced that he will be leaving the company on March 31. He said that the move will not only help him spend more time with his family, but will also allow him to plant deeper roots in the Toronto tech scene.

In a note sent to employees, Nightingale emphasized that the company today is stronger than ever and the web browser is in a good place. However, he also said that the decision will definitely raise questions and bring out the trolls.

"When this news gets out, I imagine someone will say something stupid. That it’s a Sign Of Doom. Predictable, and dead wrong; it misunderstands us completely," he said, adding that he was with the company during tough times, for example, at the beginning of 2014.

Although Nightingale tried his best to downplay his departure, there is no denying that the move will raise eyebrows given that the company has already seen a lot of management changes in the recent past.

Back in March last year, Mozilla’s year-long search for a new CEO ended with the appointment of JavaScript creator Brendan Eich, who was promoted to the position from CTO. However, he stepped down just days later after people (including Mozilla employees) voiced their disapproval over the fact that he donated $1,000 to support California’s Proposition 8 campaign against same-sex marriage back in 2012.

A few months later, the company announced interim CEO Chris Beard as its permanent chief.

Permalink to story.

Firefox gave me too many fits over self-signed certificates on devices I manage daily. I had to switch away from that browser to access these devices. The company's standard cry to contact the manufacture for updates is not helpful. Not when they completely deny me access to these devices. My co-workers and I joke, when you can't access a website, "you got Firefoxed!"

Does anything get done at Mozilla anymore? Or, do they just pass around petitions to get rid of, "the boss of the week", based in frivolous, pseudo-ethical, political correctness hysteria ?.

Does anything get done at Mozilla anymore?
They do manage to pump out a new revision every few weeks. So they must find an "I" to dot or a "t" to cross somewhere. As far as actual changes, you got me there. I couldn't say I've noticed any changes other than broken add-ons, within the last 30 revisions.

Ohh they did manage to include useless (for my part) messaging code recently. I can't imagine why they decided to add conversation code in a browser.

Edit: I hate automated text editors. There is no way I can make the I in quotes above lowercase.

Back