MS Paint could finally be moving to the Microsoft Store

midian182

Staff member
Why it matters: MS Paint's move to the Microsoft Store appears to be progressing four years after the company announced the change. The app isn't in the store just yet, but there are reports of a placeholder appearing in preparation for its arrival.

Way back in 2017, Microsoft announced it would be killing off the graphics app after 32 years. While it's not exactly people's first choice when working with images, birthing the phrase, "What did you make that atrocity on? Paint?", the program is still used by millions for quick and easy editing.

News of Paint's demise brought a chorus of disapproval from fans, leading to Microsoft clarifying that while it would be removed from a core group of bundled Windows applications, MS Paint was moving to the company's store as a free download.

In 2019, Brandon LeBlanc, a senior program manager on the Windows Insider Team, tweeted that Paint would be included with Windows 10 "for now."

Italian tech site Aggiornamenti Lumia (via Thurrott.com) reports that MS Paint is finally listed in the Microsoft Store, though it can't be downloaded, suggesting a placeholder. It's not showing up for us yet.

Making Paint part of the Microsoft Store will be appreciated by many users. Not everyone wants the app bundled in with Windows 10, and as Microsoft said at the time, it allows Paint to be updated more regularly—the updates currently arrive via Windows 10 feature upgrades.

Microsoft expected Paint 3D to replace the venerable MS Paint, but it failed to find the popularity enjoyed by its predecessor. As such, it's also being dropped as one of Windows 10's core apps and will become a free download in the Microsoft Store.

Permalink to story.

I assume this means they're turning Paint into an UWP app? Isn't that just great. I thought Microsoft had already realized that UWP was something that nobody asked for and no one wants.

Paint is still quite handy for screen grabs, quick copy/pastes, etc... it doesn't need updates.... if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Fixing what isn't broken has been Microsoft's OS division entire raison d'etre since Windows 10 was born.

*Windows 8

Microsoft's attempts to make the Windows Store a thing are only sadder than the shills that insist it's a good thing.

Windows 8 and especially 8.1 had quite a few real improvements over Windows 7, though. Mostly under-the-hood improvements and polishing, as it should always be. It is faster, snappier (especially on low-end PCs) and more stable, has a much improved file copy dialog, more efficient power management for laptops, and for power users and sysadmins Windows 8 has quite a few improvements over 7, such as tweaks and additional tools like enhanced administrative tools and a much improved dism. Network performance is also faster and more stable than 7 in my experience.

Of course, to be usable Windows 8 needs some third-party software to bring back the start menu like ClassicShell / OpenShell / StartIsBack (which thankfully are perfectly stable, bug-free and fully integrate into the OS). UWP / Windows Store were totally uncalled for, but at least they aren't so deeply integrated into the OS like Windows 10 and it's possible to fully ignore them.

Idea: Have MS remove all bloatware from fresh W10 install and have all those apps moved to their Store for people who want it.

Result: W10 clean install is actually clean and you get to pick what software you'll install for music, pictures, videos etc...

Idea: Have MS remove all bloatware from fresh W10 install and have all those apps moved to their Store for people who want it.

Result: W10 clean install is actually clean and you get to pick what software you'll install for music, pictures, videos etc...
The problem is, at a certain point all the hassle you have to put up with just to get the Windows you want is going to be more work than, say, just using Linux.

We're not there yet but MS seems dead set on getting there ASAP.

Paint is still quite handy for screen grabs, quick copy/pastes, etc... it doesn't need updates.... if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

While I kind of agree with the old adage, "If it ain't broke don't fix it!" I do like to see new features added in really old applications that have been severely needed for years upon years. Like notepad.exe. They finally put it up on the store and now it get's feature updates that make it better. It's not like it's the most sophisticated editor on the planet but it's still cool none the less. I still use it for easy edit jobs.

And I welcome MSPaint to the app store because feature updates will come more frequently just like notepad.exe. They may even open-source some of these really old apps someday.

I don't see why anyone would really care.

If you want a good free replacement for Windows 10, Paint.NET is your best choice. And if you want something more advanced and cross-platform, then there is GIMP.

Those are kick-arse graphics editors that are completely free.

Krita feels more active than GIMP these days.

Last edited:
I always like knowing all my options so thanks for the mention. This appears to be open source but sells for $9+ on the Microsoft app store. WTF? How does that work?
By purchasing from the MS store, you support the development of Krita and also get easier software update. You can always download the installer free from their official website.

MS Paint has such a small foot print. I don't care if it is packaged. Move Cortana to the damn store. That is something I will never consider using.

And I welcome MSPaint to the app store because feature updates will come more frequently just like notepad.exe. They may even open-source some of these really old apps someday.
Right, and maybe someday M$ will permanently activate XP installations/. After all, what good is the ancient OS? I"m not asking for much, certainly not for it to be open sourced.

And that's a big, fat, "NOT LIKELY".

The problem is, at a certain point all the hassle you have to put up with just to get the Windows you want is going to be more work than, say, just using Linux.

We're not there yet but MS seems dead set on getting there ASAP.
It's actually less hassle because you don't have to go through extra steps to uninstall all the bloatware. You would be installing programs of your liking regardless.

Clean Windohs 10 install is also M$' go-to for any problems you have with updates that are too difficult for them to figure out. ;) :laughing:

Back