mssyn20.sys page fault in non paged area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JKaye

Hi, I am new to all of this, and I am in need of some help with a blue screen issue that started after my daughter clicked on a link in facebook it was some sort of group message. The blue screen message is as follows: mssyn20.sys page fault in non paged area along with other items. Help

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

I can find no info for the mssyn20.sys file. therefore it`s suspicious and may be malware related.

Download the AVG Antirootkit programme. Disconnect from the net and install the programme, then restart your computer.

Run the programme and click the click "Perform in-depth search." Allow AVG to complete the scan. The AVG scanner will give the "Rootkit path"
* Select the Rootkit Driver by placing a checkmark against it and click "Remove selected items." Next, agree for the terms and conditions that is displayed by AVG and click "OK" to reboot the PC. Reconnect to the net.

Download and run the Blacklight programme. Follow all the instructions carefully.

Go and read this thread HERE and post a HJT log as per the instructions.

Let me know the results of the rootkit scanners.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Okay, so I ran the AVG Scan, and I am unable to attach the result file I saved, so I will list them for you. I didn't delete them yet, because the response at the end told me that my system might not be rebootable if I deleted any of these. Will you take a look, and let me know before I go back and delete them:

C:\\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\MSSYNC20.SYS - HIDDEN DRIVER FILE
C:\PROGRAMFILES\INTERNETEXPLORER\EXPLORE.EXE - HIDDEN APPLICATION FILE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\MSSYNC20.EXE -HIDDEN APPLICATION FILE

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\MSSYNC20.tlb HIDDEN FILE

Your system has a rootkit infection. Have AVG Antirootkit fix those entries as per the instructions I gave you.

Then, do the following.

Very Important: Before deciding whether you should clean or reformat your system, go and read this thread HERE and decide what it is you want to do.

If after reading the above, you wish to clean your system, do the following.

Go and read the Viruses/Spyware/Malware, preliminary removal instructions. Follow all the instructions exactly.

Post fresh HJT and AVG Antispyware logs as attachments into this thread, only after doing the above.

Regards Howard :)

This thread is for the use of JKaye only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

I removed the rootkit paths that AVG found. My computer reboots, but under that user. However, I don't get a task bar at the bottom...nor can I run any programs, I don't have any audio, nor can I connect to the internet. I can't get my start bar either. When I switched users, I could get programs opened that way, but still not operating at 100 percent--still no audio or internet.

Unless you can find a way to follow the instructions in the link I gave you, you might have to consider reformatting the system.

Can you boot into safe mode and if so, does everything run correctly?

This thread is for the use of JKaye only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Does it matter which user I complete the proceses from as long as I am still on the same computer? I will try safe mode if not.

It is asking me which windows installation would I like to long onto under safe mode. Which one?

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Start Windows Normally
Reboot Return to OS Choices Menu

Here is the problem...I don't remember the Admin Password, what now?

If I click on Safe Mode, it gives me two options:

Windows XP Media Center Edition
Microsoft Windows Recovery Console--highlight choice...

XP Media Center Edition. I take it that`s the OS you normally use?

Yes it is. However, I still can't get on the internet. AOL Explore won't open at all, and IE Explorer asks me to choose a program to open the file with, and I have no idea what to do now.

Ok, try doing a system restore to before your problems began and see if that helps.

If it does, go and read this thread HERE and post a HJT log as an attachment.

Just to make sure, how should I do that? I won't lose my pictures I have on file will I? Is this under the safe mode option restore from last known good operation???

Click start/All programmes/Accessories/System Tools/System restore/Click Next. Choose a restore point before your problems occurred and click next. You won`t lose any pics etc.

Again, this should be completed under safe mode then? Sorry, I am really bad at this part of computers....

Normally, when entering safe mode, it asks you if you`d like to do a system restore. Just click yes when asked and that will take you straight to the system restore options.

Otherwise, just follow the procedure I outlined above, from either normal mode if you can, or safe mode if it doesn`t offer you the choice.

Under normal mode, I get a response that tells me that ...can't protect my computer and asks me to shut down and restart. So, I rebooted under safe mode to last good known configuration...Still no audo when starting up...I was able to get the start/task bar to reappear though!!! At start up, I get the response...Google Desktop has unexpectely quit. Te restart, launch Google Desktop from the Start menu. Still no internet browsers will come up when I click on the desktop icons, and I still get the response from IE asking me to choose a program to open it with...

All this from a facebook group message!!!!!!!!! ugh

I`m really sorry to hear you`re having so many problems. Given everything that`s happened, I think it`s time to bite the bullet and reformat the system and reinstall from scratch.

Be sure to backup your pictures etc first.

I went to systems restore, and I still can't get on the internet, nor can I open any of my applications/programs from the desktop.

Can`t you use the computer you`re on now to download the necessary programmes and burn them to cd? Then transfer them to the sick computer, run them and then let me know the results. Even if that means burning the log files to cd, then uploading them via the computer you`re using to post with.

I suppose that I can. However, on my sick computer, I now have a white screen where my desktop icons and wallpaper picture used to be. I still have my start bar at the bottom. I am thinking that I need to go get me a very large usb drive to save my pics on before I lose them. Other than the internet, homework and facebook/aim, this is basically all that is done on the sick computer. If I save all of my pics, do I just reinstall windows xp operating system and start all over from the beginning? I don't know if I know how to do that. Wouldn't I also need to reset up my IP info again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back