Multiple BSOD and STOP Errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

KungFuMan

I am a novice at computer problems at best. I have searched the internet for days, including these forums, but I might just be too ignorant to know what to look for.
My system crashes randomly, even when no one is on it, and its not doing anything. I have received multiple STOP Errors from the BSOD, including, but not limited to:

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

CRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

DRIVER_IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

The STOP ERROR message numbers seem to be different every time, and I will try to record them all. Some are:

0x8E (most often)
0xc5
0x05

and have had many "files" quoted to me as the sources of the errors, including:

win32k.sys
nv4_disp.dll
kmixer.sys
portcls.sys
usbuhci.sys

and a few more, I think..

The main one I get most often is the nv4_disp.dll, and second after that would be win32k.sys lately. I tried to update the drivers from the nVidia website, but I am not sure I did that correctly, as I have read about uninstalling the old drivers first, which I did not do because of ANOTHER (probably separate) issue I am having. I was uninstalling some programs, through the control panel>add or remove programs, and I don't remember what the last thing I uninstalled was (I think it was yahoo something or another), but all my programs disappeared from my "Add or Remove Programs" list, and a bunch of new ones appeared, that apparently are related to some Kodak programs my wife installed. Also, the buttons to remove/change programs in the list are gone.

It seems to crash pretty randomly, although it did crash consistently every time I tried to run World of Warcraft, which I can no longer run because the game tells me it "Cannot Validate Game Version". (If anyone has a clue how to fix that, that would be awesome as well. I looked in their forums and did all they told me to, and none helped)

Well, anything else I can provide to help, please let me know, and hopefully I can figure out how to get you what you need. All help is GREATLY appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Best regards,
James

I believe we got it around Feb/March of 2003, maybe 2004.
It came with one stick of 512MB RAM, and I added another last summer (2007)

Im not guarenteeing that the ram is your problem, but its a strong possibility with thos specific error descriptions. and the fact that it restarted alot when u played wow, which is a hugely ram intensive game, only solidifies this.

the larger of the 2 sticks should be in bank 1, the smaller in bank 2. iff its not this way, switch them to the right positions. if u still get the messages, unplug the one you bought and use the pc as normal. if it still happens, unplug the other and plug in the one you bought. if the ram is at fault, this will solve the problem, although u might have to reinstall some of your programs due to them getting screwed up from all the restarts.

I accidentally started 2 threads, and Route44 requested my minidump files. I have a LOT though. How many do you need? Just the last one?

Also, I have been using every security program out there I think. I have been researching this for about 5 days, and have downloaded every program suggested that I found.

Ad-aware
Spybot Search and Destroy
SUPERAntiSpyware
Fixwareout
ATF-Cleaner

I am not behind a router that I know of, just a cable modem from the wall to the modem to the computer. I do not know about Firewalls, except if Windows has one built in, and I don't know how to determine if it is on or not.

In response to allmightypuff, I have read a lot of posts out there saying it could be the RAM, so I downloaded memtest, and ran it and nothing came up. I ran it with 1024MB first, and it stayed at 0.0% until it crashed. So, I reset it to 32MB and it ran for about 40min before it crashed. I have 2 sticks of 512MB. I took the newer stick out and moved it over one slot. I have 3 slots on the mobo. I can try taking the oldest one out, but does it matter which slot they are in? For example, if I take the stick out of slot 1, do I have to take the one in slot 3, and move it to slot 1?

When I did the minidump the DeBugger could not find nt anywhere, could not find modules, etc. to even load. You may have serious corruption, but don't panic yet.

This is what I would suggest.

First keep Superantispyware(excellent anti-adware/malware software) and Spybot S&D and scan now. I would uninstall the rest; two I have never heard of before and believe it or not they may be part of your problem. Adware no longer updates their free version. Too many security softwares will cause conflicts with each other.

Two, if you can get online download and install Kaspersky's free online scanner. Kaspersky anti-virus has the best detection rate in the business. After you scan and run then download and install Trend Micros free online scan. Run.

If you have infections then we need to deal with that.

Run chkdsk. Find your Run program in your Start Menu (its just above your Log Off option). Click it on and type in chkdsk and then click Okay.

Do you know what your harddrive make you have, Seagate, Western Digital, Maxtor, etc.? Every manufacturer provides a free harddrive diagnostics utility. If you don't know I have a possible solution on how you can find out.

If we can get this up and running I strongly suggest you run to your nearest Staples, Circuit City, whatever, and buy and good router. They are you best line of defense against web nasties. We can talk about security later. by the way, Windows XP's firewall is poor. We can guide you how to know if it is on or not.

* Send more minidumps if you can.

* MemTest needs to run at least 7 passes and this takes a long time but well worth it.

* allmightypuff's suspicions of bad RAM may be very well right but we have no way of saying certain at this point. It sound like what I went through last week. One bad stick of RAM out of 4 and it crashed me before I could even boot.

I removed the older of the 2 sticks of Ram, but I have no idea how to determine if it fixes it or not, other than wait and see if it crashes again. I cannot run WoW, due to the error message it gives me, and that is the only consistent crash I know of.

Also, I am getting a lot of programs that give me the "...has encountered a problem and needs to close" message. Internet Explorer mainly, but task manager, explorer, and almost any other prgram I try to use. Seems random though. Most of the time they work, sometimes they don't. Hope this helps.

Thank you again for all the help!

If the system is stable and remains stable with one stick that may be your issue. Sometimes it can be so simple.

Still, I would run the scans. If you would like to discuss security software options just PM me. I'll be glad to help.

No. keep that stick out; it doesn't matter; except when you go to test with memTest. Try testing each stick individually..

okay, will get started on all that.

We are apparently having a little taste of armageddon here tonight with Storms, Tornadoes, and now a Natural Gas station is on fire and I can see the glow on the horizon from 60 miles away. And that was just the first (and weakest) of the 3 lines of storms that are coming through my neck of the woods tonight. So, if I don't reply soon, I may lose power or need to move to a safer location. Thanks though for all the help!

Also, how do I determine the manufacturer of the hard drive?

before I tell you how to find the manufacturer of your harddrive, Isure hope you have a good surge protector. I would shut down my PC and unplug it if the electrical storms are as bad as your say.

There is a great little utility absolutely free and free of any adware called SIW. Google it, download and install. Click it on. A list will appear to your left in your screen.

Scroll down until you come to the hardware section. Click that little tab on and look for Storage Devices. Click that on. The larger screen to your right at the top will have Type and under that heading the first thing listed should be Fixed Hard Disk Media and then to the right the name of your harddrive.

I think it is Western Digital Corp.

In EVEREST Home Edition, under the tabs Storage/Windows Storage - The 4th Item down is WDC WD400BB-00DKA0
In the bottom window, it lists Device Manufacturer as Western Digital Corp.

This is what you needed?

when the pc constantly restart due to an instability problem, it can screw up installed programs, giving you the "encountered a problem" dialog. like i said before, when u solve the restarting problem, u need to reinstall whatever programs are getting the needs to close window.

you need to forget about wow right now, that is a ram intensive game, and will not run well at all with only 512, since windows by itself usually takes roughly 60% of the ram u have installed. solve the instability issue first, then think about wow.

KungFuMan said:
I think it is Western Digital Corp.

In EVEREST Home Edition, under the tabs Storage/Windows Storage - The 4th Item down is WDC WD400BB-00DKA0
In the bottom window, it lists Device Manufacturer as Western Digital Corp.

This is what you needed?

Yes, download their Diagnostics Tool. Great little utility. And has been noted, 512 RAM is minimum for XP to run. As for today's games 2 Gigs is the suggested amount.

Have you and your wife discussed getting a new system? Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back