Multiple rumors point to the RTX 3090's very high price

midian182

Staff member
Rumor mill: While an increasing number of leaks hint at the upcoming RTX 3090's specs, we're still in the dark about its price. But a slew of recent rumors could give an idea of how much it'll cost. Spoiler: a lot, from $1,499 right up to an eye-watering $2,000.

It was last week when Micron's tech briefing revealed some details of what will presumably be Nvidia's 3000-series flagship. It’s listed as having 12 GDDR6X modules, 19-21 Gb/s/pin, 76-84 GB/s/placement, 912-1008 GB/s/system and a total frame buffer of 12 GB. "At 21 GB/s, a graphics card with 12 pcs of GDDR6X will be able to break the 1 TB/s of system bandwidth barrier!" states Micron's brief.

It's obvious that such power isn't going to come cheap, but the RTX 3090 could be even more than expected. Chiphell forum user Wjm47196, who has a history of revealing accurate details ahead of time, believes its starting price will be $1,399, with the Founders Edition $100 extra at $1,499. That would make it costlier than the RTX 2080 Ti, which started at around $999 and had a Founders Edition priced at $1,199.

Another leak comes from what is alleged to be an internal memo. It claims that the RTX 3090 will be ¥1,3999 in Chinese yuan—about $2,000!

While the Micron leak has the RTX 3090 down as having 12GB of GDDR6X, other rumors claim the card will have a massive 24GB of blazing-fast memory. Should the latter prove true, that could mean Nvidia is positioning the RTX 3090 as a direct successor to the Titan RTX, which has 24GB of GDDR6 and costs $2,499. If that is the case, $2,000 would be the more likely selling price of the RTX 3090.

Whether $1,499 or $2,000, it seems the RTX 3090 is going to be a wallet crusher. What that means for the RTX 3080 isn't clear, but here's hoping it's cheaper than expected—a recent database entry listed the card's 10GB of GDDR6X and 2.1GHz maximum clock speed. All should become clearer when Nvidia's Ampere event arrives on September 1.

Permalink to story.

The problem is, that we don't know the entire lineup, nor the pricing for the entire lineup.

Is the 3090 supposed to be the new TITAN?

I can't judge for sure till all the cards are on the table.

Well, if one assumes the RTX 3090 spec rumours are true, then it's not only cheaper ($2000 vs $2499), but better than an RTX Titan - and it might be considerably better too, if the GA100's tensor cores are being used.

I think we‘ll find out soon enough, but what matter will be the actual retail price as afair the 2080Ti had a $999 msrp but cards were usually in the $1200 range.

If the 3090 has the rumored specs and performance, I very much doubt the $1,399 price, since I also doubt there will be a competing product in its class.

How would anyone be surprised? Wasting $2000 on a GPU ain't my cup of tea, I can build a whole PC for that amount that will play games maxed out at 1440p above 60 FPS. I guess I'm not an "enthusiast" enough.

Not a problem. I’ve been saving my government stimulus checks since March. I should be able to purchase one as soon as they are released. I’ll let you know how they perform as soon as possible.

The problem is, that we don't know the entire lineup, nor the pricing for the entire lineup.

Is the 3090 supposed to be the new TITAN?

I can't judge for sure till all the cards are on the table.
Exactly, buying at launch when the full lineup (performance and prices) is not revealed is a bad idea. Also a bad idea until we can see what AMD has to offer with Big Navi.

Exactly, buying at launch when the full lineup (performance and prices) is not revealed is a bad idea. Also a bad idea until we can see what AMD has to offer with Big Navi.

Before we even see all the options, I already know I'm sticking with Nvidia's finest. Budget gamers can buy into AMD. The only thing they have I buy is their stock. Eventually it will make me as much profit as Nvidia.

You ameature scanvergers suck. It is made in China and 2080Ti was usually above 10K CNY in China. So not that more expensive.

Just wondering. If you were told to design a console with MSRP of $2k, what would a console in that price range be like?

All other things being equal: you could easily boost the price of console to $2000 simply by upgrading the hard drive it comes with to an 8 TB SSD.

Or you could give it the power of a 2080 Ti instead of the 2080.

Just the 2080 Ti and an 8TB SSD will run you $2000 in today’s money - never mind all the rest of the parts you need to have a console.

I’m noticing more and more people realizing that 4K textures require 4K storage space and also require 4k processing resources. A lot of these people playing Microsoft flight simulator right now aren’t happy with the frame rates.

You all gave them a green light when you bough 2080Ti. Enjoy.

Actually the problem started with the very first Titan for $999, that was the time when gamers should have showed nVidia the middle finger but that sold like hot cakes so here we are 7 or so years later with cards (apparently) reaching $2000.........

Before we even see all the options, I already know I'm sticking with Nvidia's finest. Budget gamers can buy into AMD. The only thing they have I buy is their stock. Eventually it will make me as much profit as Nvidia.

Can you be any more offensive to those who buy AMD? If you hate them so much then don't buy their stock, it makes you a massive hypocrite

Can you be any more offensive to those who buy AMD? If you hate them so much then don't buy their stock, it makes you a massive hypocrite
Not a hypocrite, just smart.... when it comes to GPUs anyways... anyone who is buying AMD and expecting high-end performance is a fool. Nvidia has dominated the high end for years and until big Navi actually gets benchmarked, there is 0 reason to expect otherwise.

The reason their stock is skyrocketing is based on their CPUs.... THOSE I’d put in just about any new build as they’re superior to Intel’s offerings in almost any use case.

You all gave them a green light when you bough 2080Ti. Enjoy.
Or well before that, when a small ultra-enthusiast niche would buy multiple cards for SLI.

Personally I see nothing wrong with them continuing to probe and service the highest-end demand. It doesn't take anything away from me or anyone else, unless maybe someone is counting the hit to their ego of no longer owning the highest end card -- although the new card they do end up owning will almost certainly be more powerful than the "highest end" card they previously owned.

No games will be designed to this card while it is still the current generation and no gamers will be harmed by it being in the line up.

The question remains as always, what will the real mainstream cards cost and how good will they be or not be.

Not a hypocrite, just smart.... when it comes to GPUs anyways... anyone who is buying AMD and expecting high-end performance is a fool. Nvidia has dominated the high end for years and until big Navi actually gets benchmarked, there is 0 reason to expect otherwise.

The reason their stock is skyrocketing is based on their CPUs.... THOSE I’d put in just about any new build as they’re superior to Intel’s offerings in almost any use case.

Hmm apart from lacking any RT or DLSS features cards based on RDNA1 perform better than their nVidia counterparts at the same price In UK at least, RX5600XT is faster than GTX1660, RX5700 is faster than RTX2060, RX5700XT is faster than RTX2060S and on pair with RTX2070. Obviously nVidia wins with 2070S+ but the price premium for anything above that card doesn't translate to a huge performance gains so in my opinion buying 2080Ti over even 2070S is very questionable because for over 100% higher price I don't get anywhere near extra 100% performance. Obviously if you after the best then 2080Ti is your only choice but I wouldn't call 5700XT a slow card its not that much slower than RTX2080 for example and when Radeon VII launched it was like 7% behind the 2080 so they aren't exactly on the low end of performance

Back