My comp makes a clicking sound when I turn it on

Status
Not open for further replies.
For some reason when i turn on my computer, it makes this clicking sound and a few seconds later the comp will show the boot up screen and it just stays there. I turned it off and turned it back on and it was fine. But everytime i use my computer, i always have to open it, close it and reopen it again. Help is appreciated:D

EDIT: My computer is 3 years old and runs on windows xp.

Does the clicking sound like it is coming from the harddrive? if it does then back up everything A.S.A.P.

I advise that you go to your harddrive manufacturer's website, download their free harddrive diagnostics utility and diagnose your harddrive.

i started it this morning and it said "please insert boot drive" or something along those lines after the boot up screen

well thx for the help guys, yea my hard drive is going to crash sooner or later and i dont got anything to back it up. but my friend is nice enough to give me a 5gb replacement drive so i guess thats enough for windows xp and work lol

Anything important you can burn to a CD or transfer to a flash drive. Did you get a chance to do an HD diagnosis?

DUDE!!!! I know that sound well, my friend. Some even make a big "TA-DING!" like a ye olde tyme typewriter!

Get a flash drive. And if you put that small drive your friend's giving you in NOW, you could ghost your OS onto it. Then ghost it back onto the replacement, when ya get the bucks.

I always back-up at least my pics to flash drives. As I have an eMachines. :stickout:

Everybody with an eMachines knows what I'm talkin' bout. :dead: Older models anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back