My RAM won't install in my 433 MHz. Computer..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trapnhunt4ever

I'm trying to install 64 MB of RAM on my old HP 433 MHz. 8 GB Computer. I am adding another 64 MB to make the total 128MB. I have switched the slots, and it just isn't recognized in one of the slots- both RAM's work. The Model Number is: 6535
Do I have to install the RAM ? I thought that it was automatically detected.... Tell me what I should do,

Pa6trick~~

Do both of the sticks memory you have there identical or does one have chips on boths sides and the other have chips on just one side?

Yes!

Yeah, I tried switching the two around, to see if the new RAM was defective, but the new RAM works in the original spot, and now the old RAM will not work in the additional slot. I have a feeling that either that 2nd. slot is not working, or you need to install the RAM somehow (With software..??)- so the computer recognizes it. I have taken it out and reinstalled it 6 times now, each time thinking that it wasn't pushed in tight enough or something like that. However, I hear two distinct clicks every time I put it in, and I double check to make sure that it is in the slot firmly. I don't know what to do...

Patrick~

Clean up the contacts of the RAM-sticks with an ordinary eraser. Blow off all the remnants before you put it back in.
If you have more than 2 memory slots, try 1-3, 2-3. It may also be necessary to install your memory in equal PAIRS. Check that the CAS-latency is the same by finding your memory on the internet.
www.crucial.com will tell you which memory-type you need.

THere's only two slots total for RAM. One was filled already with the original 64MB. I have an additional 64 MB to put in the last slot. Both RAM is working, just the slot isn't working... I tried cleaning it, and nothing happened...

Patrick~

Like RealBlackStuff said they may look like they are the same but you have have two different latencies so they won't work together.

Try putting the RAM and shake it right and left once connected. There might be oxydation and/or dust that migth block some contacts. Doing this will make safer connections.

might be just better to sell both sticks and get a large stick for the total size in the slot you know that works.

But, for a really old computer like that, it might hardly be worth it. You're talking dinosaur stuff.

Sounds like a 440lx mobo. It can use up to a 256mb double sided momory. As DragonMaster said, I think the ram slot is dirty and need dust and grime cleaned out of it. You don't need to intall any software for ram, the BIOS checks it at the POST(power on self test.)

one easy way to know if the slot is ok.... swap the ram in ojne slot... power up.... check... turn off the comp... swap to the other slot.... turn on... see what happens.... if you have ram in both slots my bet is MOBO wont recognise anything over 64

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back