Mysterious Samsung smartphone packs ultra-high resolution 2K HD display

Shawn Knight

Staff member

The successor to Samsung’s popular Galaxy S4 smartphone may have been ousted in recent benchmark results at GFXBench. Said benchmarks (if legit) reveal a handset powered by a quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 processor clocked at 2.5Ghz but the real eye-catcher here is the purported display resolution of 2,560 x 1,400, otherwise known as 2K HD, that could put pixel density as high as 560 PPI.

Other rumors suggest the S5 could ship with a unibody metal chassis created by the same company that produced the casing for the HTC One and the iPad mini. We are also hearing rumblings of a 16-megapixel rear camera with optical image stabilization, 3GB or 4GB of system memory and a massive 4,000mAh battery. Naturally, Android 4.4 Kit Kat would also be along for the ride.

galaxy s5 samsung

We’ve also been hearing in recent weeks that Samsung may accelerate the release schedule of the next Galaxy phone to better compete with other new phones on the market. If true, this means we could potentially see the S5 show up within the next two or three months, if not sooner.

It would seem that most are split on the idea of a unibody metal design as there are pros and cons for each option. Would you prefer a Galaxy smartphone with a durable metal chassis and a non-removable battery or are you fine with the current plastic body that’s cheaper to produce and offers access to the battery?

Permalink to story.

I prefer access to my battery because I like to "tinker" with my Android software. Sometimes things go wrong and a hard reset means removing the battery. If I can remove the battery, then I have to wait for the battery to die to shut it off.

If I want durable I can buy an after market case.

That's a lot of pixels per inch! Very nice Samsung. But wasn't Apple's "Retina Display" at 326 PPI supposed to be the very highest pixel density that the eye can distinguish at a short-ish distance?

Pixel density this high might call for a display just inches from the eyes, which screams Oculus Rift to me :)

Samsung: King of the useless features. When they run out of gimmicks they just make the numbers bigger. Bigger screen, bigger pixel count, bigger camera MP, bigger battery.

I know in America 'Bigger is better', but there's a limit. I can't see the improvement from a 400 PPI screen to a 560 PPI screen anymore than I'm going to get more satisfaction out of a 64oz steak over a 24oz steak.

I've worked in phone sales for the past 5 years. Every year since before the S2 was released, there have been rumours circulating about changes to the body of the next Galaxy S phone. The S3 was going to have an all metal body. Then it was the Note 2, the S4 and most recently the Note 3. It never amounts to anything, and people should not get their hopes up with regard to any of these apparent specs.

Samsung: King of the useless features. When they run out of gimmicks they just make the numbers bigger. Bigger screen, bigger pixel count, bigger camera MP, bigger battery.

I know in America 'Bigger is better', but there's a limit. I can't see the improvement from a 400 PPI screen to a 560 PPI screen anymore than I'm going to get more satisfaction out of a 64oz steak over a 24oz steak.

With the more recent releases of iPhones, which is basically an American company, bigger screen (next iPhone), bigger pixel count (every iteration of iPhone), higher camera MP (every iteration of iPhone), bigger battery (iPhone 5. 6, maybe?). The point is, what is wrong with that? If we all thought like you, we would have 8088 pc still with 64 MB of RAM. In the case of technology, I think bigger is better, at the right price.

With the more recent releases of iPhones, which is basically an American company, bigger screen (next iPhone), bigger pixel count (every iteration of iPhone), higher camera MP (every iteration of iPhone), bigger battery (iPhone 5. 6, maybe?). The point is, what is wrong with that? If we all thought like you, we would have 8088 pc still with 64 MB of RAM. In the case of technology, I think bigger is better, at the right price.

What's wrong with incremental improvements? Nothing at all. My point was, there's a limit. Which is why I said, 'there's a limit.' and then gave the example of a steak that's too big to eat.

Would you buy a phone with 560 PPI? Because I wouldn't. We only need pixels up to the point where we can't tell the difference if there's more (which is around 350 for most people). More pixels = more processing = worse performance and less battery life. To get around the downsides, they increase the processor and battery, but for what? More pixels that we can't see? What's the point in that?

The point is, it looks better on commercials, and that's about it.
1920x1080 resolution is more than enough for a phone, and because it's a nice standard, I'd say it's all we'll ever need. Improve the parts of the phone around it, and you'll get an extra 4 hours of battery, like the LG G2 pulls off.

Come on, guys! this is just a rumor. I don't think they are going to 560ppi. so what's the point to arguing it?

I would much rather have:
iproved battery life
better Operating system
avility to conect to a monitor or TV
avility to conect keyboard via blutooth
avility to take great pictures in low light
avility to conect a gaming controll via blue tooth
avility to conect speakers via bluetooth
speakers like the htc one
5.7 screen size.

@MilwaukeeMike
My point was, there's a limit. Which is why I said, 'there's a limit.' and then gave the example of a steak that's too big to eat.

Yeah & Bill Gates said we'd never need more than 640K ram.

1920x1080 resolution is more than enough for a phone, and because it's a nice standard, I'd say it's all we'll ever need.

That's your opinion. I'd rather we have a 1000 ppi screen technology in existence, rather than not. You don't know the limit until you experience it, and 5inch 1080p is not it.

You probably mean 8086 with 1MB RAM. No matter, we get the drift. I'm with Mike on this one, 560 ppi sounds ridiculous, you'l be paying for something you can't appreciate. All smartphones are the same, they're really going nowhere. Apart from increasing the numbers, nothings happening.

Littleczr - you can already do most of that? I don't see a point. Also Samsung already offers ~6" display phones.

You probably mean 8086 with 1MB RAM. No matter, we get the drift. I'm with Mike on this one, 560 ppi sounds ridiculous, you'l be paying for something you can't appreciate. All smartphones are the same, they're really going nowhere. Apart from increasing the numbers, nothings happening.

I would like more battery life than a ridiculously high res display.

The higher DPI does make difference for rendering hieroglyphs, not so much for latin letters that have much simpler look.

we would have 8088 pc still with 64 MB of RAM.
64MB!!! WOW!!!
I bet that would have cost between $5000 - $10,000 back in the day. Not to mention that an 8088 can't address that much memory...
I'm thinkin you meant 64KB. I had a 386 with 1 MB RAM, and that was a lot. lol

BTW, I've got a Galaxy Note 3 with all it's useless gadgets, and I love it!
Just as much RAM and almost as much processing power as my wifes desktop.

I buy Samsung phones BECAUSE of the fact that I can remove the battery -- which is exceptionally important when you travel internationally or in places that have power issues. As for the screen, anything over 300 ppi is overkill and won't be noticed and will just kill the battery, not to mention the processing requirements of rendering 1080p video on such large screens. In addition due to scaling, you can't even use all of those pixels since the text and icons scale to the same size as a 720p display.

I have a Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro with the 3200 x 1800 screen and while the display is beautiful, I have reduced it down to 1080p since the items tend to be too small at native resolution.

I also have a Note 3 and LOVE it. The power of the device is amazing and the pen integration is now seamless.

With most phones with sealed batteries, you can hold down the power button for about 15 seconds to force a hard reboot when software locks up. You don't have to wait until the battery dies.

There is no option that I want my battery sealed forever in my phone like in iphone!

In 2008 Nokia made the best phone (of the year) - E71 which has got metal cover and removable battery IN THE SAME TIME. And this **** never broke! So don't be like "we can't make metal cover with removable battery" and make it, to be better than Apple in every aspect. That counts in users minds and they will never forget a company who make great products really FOR THEM.

With most phones with sealed batteries, you can hold down the power button for about 15 seconds to force a hard reboot when software locks up. You don't have to wait until the battery dies.

Nope. There are actually cases where even the low-level functions of the phone refuse to work. The only solution is total power cutoff.

Access to the battery, I've had battery s fail in the past and to go though the inconvenience of getting a sealed phone battery replacement ludicrous.

If Samsung wants to keep me coming back, then they better give me access to my battery, access to my sd slot, better battery life, and NO fingerprint scanner. If samsung follows crApple with a gimmick like fingerprint scanner, then they can forget about getting a single dime from me ever again.

Back