Samsung's next budget phone to pack massive 6,000mAh battery

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In a nutshell: Samsung is reportedly working on a rebranded version of its recently launched Galaxy A15 smartphone with a couple of noteworthy upgrades. The newly minted Galaxy A15 is already available in select markets and includes a sizable 5,000mAh battery pack. Sources familiar with the matter claim the reworked M15 will ship with an even larger 6,000mAh battery for additional runtime.

Supporting specs weren't shared, but most believe the M15 will otherwise be an almost exact clone of the Galaxy A15.

For those not up to speed, the A15 features a 6.5-inch Super AMOLED display (2,340 x 1,080 pixels, 396 PPI) operating at 90 Hz that is powered by an octa-core MediaTek Helio G99 SoC. RAM and storage configurations vary by model, ranging from 4 GB and 128 GB on the low end to 8 GB and 256 GB for those willing to pay more.

The budget A15 packs three rear-facing cameras: a 50 megapixel primary shooter, a 5 megapixel ultrawide lens, and a 2 megapixel macro camera. Up front, you get a 13 megapixel selfie camera with f/2.0 aperture.

Another key selling point for the rumored Galaxy M15 could be its software support. The A15 ships with Android 14 and One UI 6 out of the box, and is eligible for a minimum of four major operating system upgrades. Should this support also extend to the M15, it would be a top marketing feature.

If the Galaxy M15 does materialize and is as similar to the A15 as some expect, one can not help but wonder about Samsung's rationale. Why make two different phones that are so much alike when you could just as easily make a variant of the A15 with slightly different features, like a bigger battery?

No word yet on when Samsung plans to launch the M15 but with CES just around the corner and Mobile World Congress slated for the end of February, prospective buyers might not have to wait long.

Image credit: Alexander Andrews, Debraj Roy

Permalink to story.

6000mAh and that will be 2024? My budget phone also had 6000mAh battery and I bought it 2020...

Breaking news, hey "(y) (Y)"
NY s21+ has a 4800mah battery and that thing lasts almost 3 days. Even after nearly 3 years the battery still says it has 96% life left(so the BMS system says). Gone are the days of sub 1000Mah NiCad batteries. NiCad was still an issue going into the early 2010s to the point where people would say "Lithium Ion" in the specs. Now they just list the battery size and everyone just expects Lithium.

6000mAh and that will be 2024? My budget phone also had 6000mAh battery and I bought it 2020...

Breaking news, hey "(y) (Y)"

Geezus what a comparison.

Your budget phone likely lacks the higher end stuff that most phones have. People want small, thin phones and the best you can do is cram a 2600mah battery in most of them.

I'm sure if Apple releases a device with 7500mah battery it will be a huge succes.

So we still get shafted in the states. Great.

The Apple/Samsung "duopoly" kind of keeps out a LOT of the devices. Shoot, people in the USA are still conditioned on buying a phone from a carrier store. Walk into one, and it's like you walked into an Apple or Samsung store. They push you into those two devices for the most part, probably because of the kickbacks
from them. Plus, the less supported phones that the "big three" allow on their networks, less headaches when something doesn't work.

Geezus what a comparison.

Your budget phone likely lacks the higher end stuff that most phones have. People want small, thin phones and the best you can do is cram a 2600mah battery in most of them.

I'm sure if Apple releases a device with 7500mah battery it will be a huge succes.
6000mAh battery was nothing too special years ago and now it seems to be enough for headline. M15 also is not very "thin" or "small" phone tbh.

Technology goes forward all the time but there is nothing exceptional on that battery size alone.

Whenever Apple releases anything that's huge success for some reason.

A bigger battery and potentially a bigger bomb in your pocket if it explodes. it is pretty pointless to have increasingly bigger battery on a cellphone. I rather they focus on making the phones more efficient with power draw than to have a bigger and heavier battery because they choose not to spend time optimizing it.

A bigger battery and potentially a bigger bomb in your pocket if it explodes. it is pretty pointless to have increasingly bigger battery on a cellphone. I rather they focus on making the phones more efficient with power draw than to have a bigger and heavier battery because they choose not to spend time optimizing it.
Hahahahahah! Imagine avoiding a phone because a battery might explode. I've literally never seen that happen to anyone. That's like saying what if I go outside a get struck by lightning, better stay inside!

The takes here... Woosh!
It's noteworthy because it's the dominant Samsung doing it and one could hope this comes to other phones, especially most of the A or S series!

Ever considered the quality of engineering, hardware and software eco-system?
OK; I consider these:

Quality of engineering: Phones that work very badly on low temperatures and also have serious problems with humidity. Not to mention "you're holding it wrong". Quality is phone that works, not something that looks nice.

Hardware: For $799 phone, 60Hz display, 2023. To be honest, anyone that buys that device is total *****. There is just no way around it.

Software eco-system: Apple says 8GB they have is more than 16GB on somewhere else because they have something like memory compression or something, right.

Shortly: Apple has reached position where it can screw up customers because they think Apple is good even when Apple just rips them off. So yes, too many times Apple sells well just because it's Apple, not because they have good product.

I'm with Apple since the Iphone 6. That was back in 2014 released. Before that it was either Sony ericson, blackberry or Android based phones. My pick for Apple is due to the much better understanding of how a phone should be in the first place.

The only faulty phone I had, was a IphoneX with the famous reboot after 3 minutes, which was a hardware fault (a little ribbon cable) but other then that, all the iphones I had till this day, work out of the box and as intended.

Hardware: For $799 phone, 60Hz display, 2023. To be honest, anyone that buys that device is total *****. There is just no way around it.

Well I needed one instant, I went to a random phone store and I bought a device worth 1200€ and paid instant for it.

Software eco-system: Apple says 8GB they have is more than 16GB on somewhere else because they have something like memory compression or something, right.

You have no idea what your talking about. The software eco system is the Apple store. The chances of you getting or hitting malware through the apple store is zero.

Quality of engineering: Phones that work very badly on low temperatures and also have serious problems with humidity. Not to mention "you're holding it wrong". Quality is phone that works, not something that looks nice.

You do understand that once temperatures go below, certain ages battery's start to throw problems right? It's the impedance that lowers once it gets cooler. So if your having an iphone with "low temperatures" and it's throwing issues, it's simply the battery. Replace it and hey, it works.

But hey try one instead of being so salty about Iphones. Buy a good headset with it, and perhaps you start liking it. they are much more calm, relaxed for you.

I'm with Apple since the Iphone 6. That was back in 2014 released. Before that it was either Sony ericson, blackberry or Android based phones. My pick for Apple is due to the much better understanding of how a phone should be in the first place.

The only faulty phone I had, was a IphoneX with the famous reboot after 3 minutes, which was a hardware fault (a little ribbon cable) but other then that, all the iphones I had till this day, work out of the box and as intended.

Well I needed one instant, I went to a random phone store and I bought a device worth 1200€ and paid instant for it.

You have no idea what your talking about. The software eco system is the Apple store. The chances of you getting or hitting malware through the apple store is zero.

You do understand that once temperatures go below, certain ages battery's start to throw problems right? It's the impedance that lowers once it gets cooler. So if your having an iphone with "low temperatures" and it's throwing issues, it's simply the battery. Replace it and hey, it works.

But hey try one instead of being so salty about Iphones. Buy a good headset with it, and perhaps you start liking it. they are much more calm, relaxed for you.
First, who needs apps? I have no single app downloaded on my phone I could not come along without. Perhaps because for me phone is more like tool, I have never uploaded any pictures with it on any service. No malware on Apple store? Quick look on search engine tells other. Try it yourself.

You're claiming even new devices have batter problems? No, it's just how phones are made. Even new Apple phones have problems on low temperatures. Someone tried same type of phone I have. Turn it on, put it into freezer (-18c I think) for one day. It worked just fine. That's what I call reliability. Not to mention this is much cheaper than any fruit phone.

I'm not using headsets. Not much to say there.

Whatever rocks your boat buddy. In my opinion the engineering, hardware quality, software eco-system is excellent. Otherwise I would not be using an Iphone in the first place. I have nothing with macs - terrible to work with since I'm a PC user. But throwing your phone in a freezer and expect humidity not to do it's work? Okay.

Back