NAT Type won't open on my PC

333robbie333

Hi all,

I want to kindly ask for your help. I have been struggling for over a year trying to open my NAT type on my Windows 10 PC, specifically the Gaming Section in the Windows 10 settings app. It says Teredo is unable to qualify and when I press check again, or fix it or restart, nothing works.

The gear I use:
In house router: TP-Link Archer C6

Things I have done:
Gave my PC a static IP address of 192.168.0.124
Disabled my Antivirus and firewall
Allowed the ports on my PC firewall
Reconfigured the router
Forwarded port 52586 UDP (Internal and External) to my IP address 192.168.0.124

Please note that ports are opening on my NAS device and PLEX remote access is working so I doubt the issue is on the ISP's side.

Please let me know what further information I can give you.

Kind regards

Most home routers do a NAT masquerade. This means they send an entire address space through a single IP address. In your case it sounds like 192.168.0.0/24 -> Public IP address.

Depending on your connection type you could possibly plug your PC directly into the modem/receiver/radio and see if you still get strict NAT.

What type of internet connection do you have? This is almost always an ISP issue when this happens.

Most home routers do a NAT masquerade. This means they send an entire address space through a single IP address. In your case it sounds like 192.168.0.0/24 -> Public IP address.

Depending on your connection type you could possibly plug your PC directly into the modem/receiver/radio and see if you still get strict NAT.

What type of internet connection do you have? This is almost always an ISP issue when this happens.
Thank you for the reply @Gabriel Pike, I have re-downloaded Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 and saw that my NAT is actually open there. I think this is a Windows 10 issue. My ISP already provided me with a static IP address.
Any idea on how to open the NAT on the Gaming section of the Windows 10 settings?

Kind regards

Thank you for the reply @Gabriel Pike, I have re-downloaded Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 and saw that my NAT is actually open there. I think this is a Windows 10 issue. My ISP already provided me with a static IP address.
Any idea on how to open the NAT on the Gaming section of the Windows 10 settings?

Kind regards

I am assuming you have gone through all of the steps Microsoft listed? If not here is the link:

TBH I am not sure. When I set this up on my son's PC it just worked the first time. First time for your particular issue.

For an XBOX, the following port forwards are necessary
  1. Port 88 (UDP)
  2. Port 3074 (UDP and TCP)
  3. Port 53 (UDP and TCP)
  4. Port 80 (TCP)
  5. Port 500 (UDP)
  6. Port 3544 (UDP)
  7. Port 4500 (UDP)

for a PS4,
  • TCP: 80, 443, 1935, 3478-3480.
  • UDP: 3478-3479

AND IMO, it is unwise to enable UPnP for the gateway -- you loose control of who's connecting to what. The above Port Forwards is all that is necessary (once the static address is effective).

For an XBOX, the following port forwards are necessary
  1. Port 88 (UDP)
  2. Port 3074 (UDP and TCP)
  3. Port 53 (UDP and TCP)
  4. Port 80 (TCP)
  5. Port 500 (UDP)
  6. Port 3544 (UDP)
  7. Port 4500 (UDP)

for a PS4,
  • TCP: 80, 443, 1935, 3478-3480.
  • UDP: 3478-3479

I believe he has a PC getting this error on the Xbox app in Windows 10.

For BOTH the PS4 & XBOX, it is DEADLY to port forward port 80 -- that will kill all browsers from accessing the Internet. It REALLY should not be necessary at all.

The port forward suggestions could easily effect that symptom
I have searched the internet a lot and found out that the reason why I get the strict NAT and "Teredo is unable to qualify" error is because I do not have the Microsoft teredo tunneling adapter installed.
Running the command in the attached image shows that Teredo is disabled. Any help?

Kind regards

Attachments

• Teredo Disabled.PNG
    Teredo Disabled.PNG
    14.8 KB · Views: 4
Teredo is the 6-4 tunneling adaptor which translates IPv6 inputs back into IPv4 so the applications don't have to.

S O; disable IPv6 and you don't need the adaptor. L O N G ago I disable IPv6 as no one on a lan needs it.

Teredo is the 6-4 tunneling adaptor which translates IPv6 inputs back into IPv4 so the applications don't have to.

S O; disable IPv6 and you don't need the adaptor. L O N G ago I disable IPv6 as no one on a lan needs it.
So why would I get the "Teredo is unable to qualify" error then?

Because IPv6 is still active and thus it attempts to use Teredo and just fails.

Hmm; you have inconsistency in your settings. You can see both IPv6 and Teredo protocols in the same place and if you make a change, you need to reboot.

Oops; I was wrong -- Teredo is under the Device Mgr->Network devices

The IPv6 is under CP->Network Sharing->Adaptor Settings

I have been struggling with this as well since my ISP modem will not pass teredo. Though not ideal, I have gotten it to work by configuring a IKEv2 VPN connection through windows (not thru a client). This obviously requiring a subscription to a service.

I have been struggling with this as well since my ISP modem will not pass teredo. Though not ideal, I have gotten it to work by configuring a IKEv2 VPN connection through windows (not thru a client). This obviously requiring a subscription to a service.
see post #13 again

Hmm; the symptom is inconsistent with your reported settings which makes be think that IPv6 has been reenabled, perhaps by our host Microsoft Updates which is known to do as it pleases.

Here’re 6 fixes that have helped other users solve the Teredo is unable to qualify problem. You may not have to try them all; just work your way down the list until the problem is resolved.

1. Check your Internet connection
  2. Uninstall and reinstall the Teredo adapter
  3. Check if the startup type of IP Helper is set to automatic
  4. Set the Teredo server name to its default
  5. Delete unnecessary entries
  6. Check if your router has been configured to enable Teredo connectivity

see details at

Here’re 6 fixes that have helped other users solve the Teredo is unable to qualify problem. You may not have to try them all; just work your way down the list until the problem is resolved.

1. Check your Internet connection
  2. Uninstall and reinstall the Teredo adapter
  3. Check if the startup type of IP Helper is set to automatic
  4. Set the Teredo server name to its default
  5. Delete unnecessary entries
  6. Check if your router has been configured to enable Teredo connectivity

see details at
Thanks, I will try this out and let you know! :D

Back