Need advice for upgrade

Hello. Im looking to upgrade my current system that is really out of date for gaming.
Mobo Asus p5g41t-m lx
CPU Intel dual core e5700 @ 3ghz
4gb ram (2x2 gb) ddr3 1333Mhz
Ati HD 5450 1GB
some generic 450W PSU ( I am upgrading this first asap)

I want something that can play in high/ultra settings games like Bf3, Crysis, AC sagas, Metro 2033/Last Light, Total war sagas, Tomb Raider, among others
I will be using a max resolution of 1360x768 for those games, and I have a $220 budget for video card + PSU.

I am highly considering a Radeon 7850 1GB version + a proper power supply but I need more suggestions. Also how much bottleneck will I get if I put that card with my current dual core?

Thanks!

The dual core will bottleneck the GPU. The 7850 1GB is a good choice, but in order to play the games at ultra settings, you will need a better CPU (quad core). I think the 1GB of VRAM may struggle at ultra settings. Also, If you ever upgrade to a 1080P monitor, the 1GB of VRAM will struggle.

Unless my current monitor breaks and its not worth repairing I am not planning to upgrade into a 1080p one.
I guess I will go for the 7850 then and probably upgrade to a core 2 quad by the end of the year. I supposed aiming for ultra settings in games like crysis or Bf3 with my current CPU was abit crazy. I will just see how the perfomance is and maybe lower to medium/high settings and turn the AA off is needed.

Thank you very much!

No problem. I personally see no noticeable difference between Ultra and High settings except my FPS decreasing lol. High settings has the eye candy. Just turn down AA if your GPU cant handle it. I play on medium personally and I really dont see an advantage of playing on high/ultra (I got used to medium so I do not care about the eye candy). I can build you a PC on Newegg for 500 bucks if you want. I think that is a better choice than just upgrade the GPU and PSU.

GPU-bound games are typical for FPS. RTS, RPG, anything else.. will start to see a shift to CPU-bound benches

Back