Need help please with video card installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so to start off I have pretty much no experience with computers so bare with me. I'm using a computer I got for Christmas and it was used it looks quite old, it is a Dell and my OS is Windows XP. The motherboard only had PCI slots so I got a EVGA GeForce 8400 GS with 512 MB DDR2 video memory from Tiger Direct. Before I bought it I had an onboard graphics accelerator or something like that. I did research on how to install it, tried it, and when I booted it up it worked fine until I got to the welcome screen, then it was just a blank screen, but I could hear it starting up. I booted it up in safe mode and it was working, I installed the drivers and figured I could start it up normally and it would work, but I still got the blank screen when I tried. It will still boot in safe mode no problem though. I have no idea where to start, like I said I have no experience with this, if you need any more info just ask, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sometimes very difficult change-over, depending on the Dell model.
Please tell us more about the Dell Service Tag, or the hard ware configuration... particularly the weak spots such as the power supply, memory installed, hard drive, and age.
Some Dell Dimensions and Optiplex desktops are very limited in what you can to to update your video graphics... but there are some configurations that will work...
Whether they will boost your video graphics to what you hoped, depends on too many things.
Please tell us more.

I actually did some more searching on google and found that deleting my drivers for my onboard graphics might work, tried it and it did. Although I'm still a bit confused. The video card I posted in my first post was one of the the best PCI video cards I could find on Tiger Direct. I had expected it to be a lot better. The only difference I notice is that when I'm playing a game it looks a bit better. It doesn't really play any smoother. Also I thought normal videos would play better on my computer, but I can't notice any difference in video playback. There is 1 thing though, on the website description for the card it says compatible with XP, 2000, and Vista. But when I got the box and all, it says built for Windows Vista, also I didn't realize XP users couldn't get DirectX10. I thought maybe this could be the reason it wasn't working as I had hoped, but it may be the other parts in my system aren't good enough. I'll post them and you guys tell me what you think is the problem. The computer itself is a Dell Dimension 3000, although I got it from a guy who builds computers so I'm pretty sure he switched some parts out. And the OS is Windows XP Pro.
1. Motherboard - Dell 0N6381
2. Graphic interface - NVIDIA Geforce 8400 GS
3. Memory - 1 Gig DDR
4. CPU - Intel Celeron 335
5. CPU Speed - 2.8 GHz
6. Power Supply Make/Model - ATX450W

Anybody have any idea what could be going on? I mean I upgraded to this Geforce 8400 from the onboard graphics and I barely notice a difference. Photos, videos, just about everything looks the same as before and I can't understand why. I also bought this so I could try out Runes of Magic, and the requirements for it are:
CPU: Intel Pentium 4 2.0 GHz or equivalent
RAM: 512MB
Required Harddisk space: 3.8GB
Graphics card: DirectX 9.0c compatible with 128MB RAM
Broadband Internet connection
Keyboard and Mouse
And I can BARELY run it. I don't understand why because my specs up in the post before look like more than enough to run it. Please if anybody has any ideas help me out.

EVGA GeForce 8400 GS with 512 MB DDR2

Are you sure this is a pci card? I can only find pci express versions of this card online?

I only ask since you said you where "limited" to this card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back