Need help with memory upgrade

jerry1969

Hello Everyone,
This is what I got:

DDR3-1867 / PC3-14900 DDR3 SDRAM UDIMM
Total of 8Gb ( 2 sticks of 4Gb)

Will the following work in my pc:

If more info info is needed bout pc I will gladly provide.
Thanks have a nice day.

What CPU and motherboard do you have? I only ask to determine whether or not that particular memory brand and model has been tested/certified by the manufacturers.

Even if it hasn't, it doesn't mean it won't work, but by checking the appropriate lists, you can easily see if it definitely does not.

CPU-
AMD FX-4300
MotherBoard Model-
GIGABYTE GA-78LMT-S2

I ran a Crucial scan and this is $80 and with the wat the world is now I was hoping I could find something cheaper:

Whats even worse I cant find no info on this puter online or the manufactures site....the puters name is called:

System Name DESKTOP-DUL75VV
System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model GA-78LMT-S2

Thanks for helping.

Okay, so the A-Tech memory isn't on Gigabyte's memory list:

But as mentioned, that doesn't mean it won't be okay - you could try it and, if possible, return the item if it doesn't function. Prices for DDR3 aren't cheap, unfortunately, as the industry has moved on to DDR4:

Looks like $60-odd is about as low as it's going to get.

How does one go about finding info on older systems ?
I was trying to find out what this systems max mwmory can be upgraded to but I cant dig nothing up for that kinda info.

Are you saying that the above will work?
No, only that there’s no clear indication from Gigabyte that it absolutely won’t work.

I was trying to find out what this systems max mwmory can be upgraded to but I cant dig nothing up for that kinda info.
That’s determined by the motherboard:

It supports a maximum of 16 GB of RAM, either in the form of 1 x 16 or 2 x 8 memory. The specifications page states that the maximum speed is 1333 MHz but that was with older AMD processors, it will run at 1866 MHz. It will even cope with faster RAM than that (e.g. 2400 MHz) but only be running them at 1866.

So basically my best bet is to get the $80 memory from crucial cuz they said it is compatiable which is this

im not to tech savy so I wanna make sure I get what works is all

I do appreciate the memory max upgrade info ...I didnt know that...
I wish there was a way to find the stats of this puter on line like when you buying a new computer...everything is listed right there.

Crucial is the consumer brand name for Micron, who are one of the few manufacturers of RAM. It might not be the fanciest or fastest memory you can buy, but it's always good quality and if they say it's compatible, it definitely will be.

Do note that the set you gave a link for, is a little slower than the one you already have (1600 MHz vs 1866 MHz), but for general use, capacity (I.e. the amount of GB) is generally more useful than outright speed - especially when your system's performance is going to be more limited by the CPU.

There are free programs you can use to analyse your computer and tell you all of the parts in it - one of the best ones in HWInfo64:

The information given won't necessarily tell you want you can upgrade to, but that's mostly controlled by the motherboard anyway.

I got a question can you do I stick of 8GB at on 1 payday and then 8 the next payday....if im right I got 2 sticks of 4GB in the there...it would be easier on the wallet to do 1 stick at a time but I dont know if thats bad?

Yes, you can 1 stick at a time. Overall performance is better with 2 sticks, as it allows the CPU to effectively access two lots of data at the same time, but you won't do any damage by just running the system on the one 8 GB stick.

No what I mean is leave 1 4GB in therer and then put 1 8GB in there and that would be 12GB and then I upgrade netxt pay and it would go from 12GB to 16GB

Ah right, yes you can do this too, although it works best if the RAM sticks are identical in terms of speed and timings. The Crucial memory you gave the link for is quite different to that which you already have - if the system is unstable or doesn't boot up properly, then remove the 4GB stick.

Identify and Upgrade the Memory Capacity of your Compute
Check your computer's current memory configuration and the maximum memory capacity
Select the best memory upgrade
Purchase new memory modules
Install the modules in your computer.

Back