Need help

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello everyone,

im just new here...i have a problem...im installing LG internal super multi DVD rewriter...

i've followed the instructions on the manual...but when i've turned on my pc...i got this message:

Press DEL to Run Set-up
Press F8 for BBS Pop-up

Auto-Detecting Pri Master...IDE Hard Disk
Pri-Master: WDC WD800BB-22JHC0 05.01C0S
Ultra DMA Mode-5 S.M.A.R.T Capable and Status BAD

Pri-Master Hard Disk: S.M.A.R.T Status BAD, Backup and Replace
Press F1 to Resume

i need help on this...so please everyone...if you know how i could solve this problem...i would really appreciate it... thanks

scarletashley

Double-check the data cable you used to connect the new drive, I remember getting a similar message when I used the wrong IDE cable for one of my hard drives. There are two types of IDE cabling, one for hard drives and one for optical drives; you cannot connect a DVD drive to the same cable in which a hard disk drive is connected.

thanks for the reply....

i've got an old ASUS cd writer that was on my computer...i've replaced it with the one that i got problems now...i've connectd the same cable that was on my ASUS to the new dvd writer...

ive tried installing it again...and i got this message:

Press DEL to Run Set-up
Press F8 for BBS Pop-up
512 MB OK (DDR:533 MHz)

Auto-Detecting Pri Master...IDE Hard Disk
Pri-Master: WDC WD800BB-22JHC0 05.01C0S
Ultra DMA Mode-5 S.M.A.R.T Capable and Status BAD

Pri Master Hard Disk: S.M.A.R.T status BAD, back-up and replace
Primary Slave Drive_ATAPI Incompatible

Press F1 to resume

*need help on this....and does this mean that the DVD writer that im installing is not compatible with my PC?

Check the jumper on the back of the new DVD drive, try setting it to "Cable Select" and see if that works. Or, have a look at your old drive and see what the jumper was set to on that. With CS selected, you can configure the drives in BIOS.

hey

First off make sure if your jumper settings are correct. You can do this by

checking the back of your primary HD(hard drive with the OS installed on it). If you have an older computer everything runs off IDE and not sata. You didnt post whether your computer is running off Hard drives that are sata so i will assume it is IDE. Sata Drives usually do not require master and slave so that is why i am asking.

Normally on a mother board there are two ide slots for cable connectors. The Main slot which requires a cable with a blue IDE tip which goes into the board. The cable branches to two connectors one grey and one black or both grey normally for master and slave.

The second ide slot on the motherboard is usually for extra devices. However, we know that the main slot is the one with your hard drive connected to it. So i am assuming your single hard drive is set to master without slave and is connected to your main ide connector on the mother board.

If your Hard drive is set to master and it doesnt have a slave which is another hard drive or any device connected to the grey part of the cable you need to do this to get it to work.

Connect another ide cable to the 2nd ide slot on the mother board. Set your Writer to master with changing the jumper in the back. Plug the ide cable into the back of this device using the black tip not the grey.

turn on your computer and go into your bios. Change the boot order in peripherals to your hard drive first. Then cd rom. Then disk drive if you have one.

push f 10 to save and restart. Once you are in your OS use the cd/ dvd they give you to install the drivers and it should work. Hope this helps.

also im pretty sure all devices work regardless of old or new when it comes to cd/ dvd writers. So it isnt computer compatibility but more of how you are connecting the devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back