Need recomendation on a product to clone a Win10 boot drive

al davis

I've used Acronis in the past but it caused trouble on Win10. I tried the 'Backup and Restore' utility in Win10 but it sees a problem and won't complete. Recommendations appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always use the Acronis Boot Disk. Manual backups are all I need and they have worked without issues.

I've always imagined automated backups to be as problematic as the OS needing to be repaired. But that is just me and I could be completely mistaken.

I used Acronis many many times without issues on many many XP machines over many years. My first use on a Win10 machine, just the imaging NOT the restore, caused a 'won't boot' situation. I did a Windows rollback to recover.
FWIW my Win 10 machine is a Lenovo with partitions on the drive that I don't understand.

OK tried it. The free version doesn't seem to do what I need to do (clone the system so I can swap in a new boot disk). Maybe the $45 version will ?? Are there other options out there ? Am I mistaken about the free version ?

Al, go here https://www.diskpart.com/help/clone-hard-disk.html - skip down to 'step by step guide' to clone hard drive to another disk' and follow that.

If you don't see the correct option check back here, I've downloaded it and will upload a video if it works on my computer. I don't know why they would but they may have removed that option. I'm checking..

Al, go here https://www.diskpart.com/help/clone-hard-disk.html - skip down to 'step by step guide' to clone hard drive to another disk' and follow that.

If you don't see the correct option check back here, I've downloaded it and will upload a video if it works on my computer. I don't know why they would but they may have removed that option. I'm checking..
Wait .... after looking at that and restarting the program I'm seeing different things. WTF ? Please standby while I try to get it together here.

OK--first off I downloaded and ran AOMEI BackUpper so I'll start again with AOMEI partition assistant the free editions in both cases. I may well buy the upgrade if I can get it to work in basic mode.

Following the tutorial, Partition Assistant allows me to start the clone process but after entering the 'partition sizing page' for the target disk, in any mode -- hitting the Next button brings up an add that shows the feature differences between basic and upgraded programs and allows no further progress.

Is this expected ?

Well I suppose it is, doesn't it allow you to reach the button to start the operation? You're supposed to get back to the main interface - the first screen - click "apply" in the top-left, then it should proceed.

Screenshot_2020-01-30 AOMEI Partition Assistant Professional Edition .png

Miray.de has an excellent HDClone, Free (basic) all the way up to Pro, Technician, and Enterprise versions. I’ve been using the Technician version for over 7 years, and must admit it is the most stable and almost perfect cloning software I’ve used, including all of the aforementioned versions that I have tried and tested extensively in my 27 years as a consultant. All versions allow you to create a bootable .ISO, Flash Drive, and will run real-time from within Wndows, but you do get better quality using a bootable device. It comes in 32 and 64-bit versions included in the software.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Back