OpenAI could be developing a search product to rival Google

DragonSlayer101

Staff
The big picture: Over the past couple of years, OpenAI has gone from strength to strength, thanks to AI-based tools like ChatGPT and Dall-E. Now, the company is said to be developing a search product in a move that could offer Google its first real competition since its inception more than two decades ago.

The news comes from The Information, which claims the new tool will be partially based on Microsoft's Bing search engine but will otherwise be similar to Google. While OpenAI hasn't yet confirmed the report, the company has been expanding ChatGPT's web browsing abilities to offer users a more contextual and conversational approach to search.

It is worth noting here that the report doesn't confirm whether the new product will be offered as a standalone web search tool like existing search engines, or if it will be integrated within ChatGPT. However, it does speculate that it could be part of ChatGPT's premium tier for paying subscribers.

While there's not a whole lot more information on this subject, it shouldn't surprise anyone that OpenAI is looking to eat Google's lunch with its own search product for consumers. The company already has a web crawler called GPTBot that's used by ChatGPT to search the web for new information, but it remains to be seen how it leverages its existing web crawler and Bing to power its rumored search product.

For the uninitiated, Microsoft is one of the largest investors in OpenAI, and has already incorporated the latter's AI-powered tools into its current products, such as Bing and Copilot. However, despite its earnest efforts, the new AI-based offerings have failed to enthuse users, with the company barely seeing any realistic increase in its market share.

While Microsoft has so far failed to rope in new users by infusing Bing with AI smarts, OpenAI's search product could offer the first worthwhile rival to Google in decades. That said, Google is also not resting on its laurels, and is investing heavily in AI for its own search engine. The company recently rebranded its Bard AI chatbot to Gemini and announced a new Android app that could be used to replace Google Assistant on Android devices.

Permalink to story.

:rolleyes: Premium tier, huh. Sound like that is going to require a payment/monthly fee. I have no use for AI - which, to me, stands for "Absent Intelligence" and any company expecting me to pay for using it is going to have an impossible task of convincing me to use it.

:rolleyes: Premium tier, huh. Sound like that is going to require a payment/monthly fee. I have no use for AI - which, to me, stands for "Absent Intelligence" and any company expecting me to pay for using it is going to have an impossible task of convincing me to use it.

we are moving to a world where the people who use ai will leave the people who don't use it, behind

we are moving to a world where the people who use ai will leave the people who don't use it, behind
🤣 IMO, more like a world where those who use AI cannot think for themselves or go to the bathroom without consulting AI first. AI - Absent Intelligence.
If you want to let OpenAI raid your wallet every month, that's your prerogative.

Paying to google stuff?
No thanks.

I wonder though, can it provide very specific highly technical answers for those working in science and other high demand jobs that pay well. If it can, it could be a good variation of what google does but on much more professional level.

Paying to google stuff?
No thanks.

I wonder though, can it provide very specific highly technical answers for those working in science and other high demand jobs that pay well. If it can, it could be a good variation of what google does but on much more professional level.

It can be very good at summarising topics, and providing references to relevant papers, so yes, to your question. It's not perfect though so cannot be relied upon wholly, some due diligence is still required.

Back