Nero not able to run

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hodsocks

I have someone who is running Nero 5 in windows 98SE and it has stopped running, The message it shows when you click on the shortcut is:

"The Nero executable file was modified. Maybe your pc is infected by a computer virus. We would recommend to use the latest antivirus software to check your pc. If no viruses are found, please do a full uninstall of Nero and reinstall from the original cd"

I have run Norton anti-virus which was up to date and found nothing, I have reloaded Nero and also loaded version 6 but in all cases the same message appears. I have also ran Ad-aware which did not cure the problem.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to what is causing the problem?

This may be linked or not......but when you boot up the pc it throws up a windows registry checker message:
" Windows encountered an error accessing the system registry. Windows will restart and repair the system registry for you"

When you click on OK...the machine reboots but the message appears again no matter how many times you restart.

Other than these problems the machine runs well, I may have considered windows to becoming corrupt had it been installed for a while but it was re-installed only a few months ago.

Having now had a little more time to look at this, it seems that the Microsoft site suggests the registry checker problem could be due to faulty memory as I guess could be the Nero one.
I will check his memory out and report back here ( if I remember :D )

Ok I checked the memory etc with my Micro 2000 disc and did not find any problems.

His hard drive is less than 20% full so thats not the problem.

I noticed that he cannot run defrag or scandisc on this machine but assume its because he has a large drive (40GB) with Win 98 as mentioned in the article http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;229154&Product=w98

He is now using broadband for his internet but he made the comment that sometimes when he was on the internet using his old DUN he could often use NERO which doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

i know exactly your problem!

i had the same problem and figured it out,your problem is not a software problem it is a hardware problem.if your main (master) cdrw drive does not support your nero software,it wont work.so make sure its supported by nero.i built a new computer and put a cdrw drive that supports nti burning software as the master and the drive that came with nero i put as the slave drive.i got the same message you got when trying to launch nero,i tried to reload it and to no avail,so i decided to switch the drives.
1.un-install all other burning software besides windows media player.turn pc off.
2.unplug and remove your cdrw drives.
3.turn computer back on with drives still removed.
4.turn pc off again.
5.re-install drives and put the one that supports nero as the master and the other as slave.(if you only have 1 drive make sure it supports nero).
6.turn pc back on and let it install the drivers.
7.install nero software and it will work fine.
i dont know if it had to do with it but i also had anouther burning software on my pc called nti and i removed it too before any of the above.some software burning programs interfear with one anouther so it might have had something to do with that too,but i think it was what i mentioned above that was the primary problem,its a good idea to only have one burning software installed along with wmp as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back