Netflix provides a first look at Lost in Space reboot

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Netflix in mid-2016 announced it was working on a reboot of the 1960s sci-fi classic Lost in Space. The project’s first season will debut on April 13 in its entirety, Netflix revealed today.

Accompanying the launch date announcement is a teaser trailer providing our first look at the show’s core cast as they board a ship destined for Alpha Centauri. Those familiar with the original series may remember that things don’t exactly go according to plan.

The show will focus on the Robinson family, “forced to come together in a time of crisis” as they are stranded light years from their intended destination. Netflix described the reboot as equal parts family drama and sci-fi adventure as the crew battles a strange new alien environment and their own personal demons.

Maybe it’s just me but something seems a bit “off” about the trailer. I can’t pinpoint exactly what it is but it just feels cheesy or dare I say, low-budget? I really hope I'm wrong as the franchise has loads of potential.

What do you think about the trailer and the reboot in general? Feel free to share your thoughts in the comments section below.

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

I don't know why the 1988 version was so poorly rated, I kind of liked it when I was that age.

I rewatched it (the 60's one) a couple years ago and thought it was surprisingly good. Considering of course the year it was made and the kind of film it is.
I hope the reboot is worth the watch, I'll check it out

I rewatched it (the 60's one) a couple years ago and thought it was surprisingly good. Considering of course the year it was made and the kind of film it is.
I hope the reboot is worth the watch, I'll check it out
I have not rewatched Lost in Space, but I have rewatched most of "The Time Tunnel" and that seems to have retained relevance over the years.

The cast of Lost In Space thought they were signed up for a serious Sci-Fi show then a year or two in, it turned into a puerile kids' show. Some of the cast at least were really pissed, but they were locked in via contracts.

June Lockhart (the mother) was reportedly suspended from one or more episodes for complaining about the rubbish scripts. Guy Williams (the father) was none too pleased either about the show's campy progression.

Of course if the show was happening in real life, Doctor Smith would have been shot in the back after a couple of sabotage attempts and shoved out the airlock. "Oops, it went off while I was cleaning it . . ."

Will Robinson looks like a baby with an extra large body. Bad choice right off the bat. No Dr Smith? Instead there is a token racial/extra gender (yes I said it) inclusion...just because and it serves no purpose. Before I get flamed, I don't care of the entire cast is non-white. I would still watch it and give it a shot. It's the idea of the inclusion outside the original series, in a day this is the thing to do, even if it isn't.

Will Robinson looks like a baby with an extra large body. Bad choice right off the bat. No Dr Smith? Instead there is a token racial/extra gender (yes I said it) inclusion...just because and it serves no purpose. Before I get flamed, I don't care of the entire cast is non-white. I would still watch it and give it a shot. It's the idea of the inclusion outside the original series, in a day this is the thing to do, even if it isn't.
Two of you mention no Dr Smith. Is that just based off him not being in the trailer? If so, that could just be a surprise for any who never saw the original.

Grew up with Lost In Space and Star Trek.Very disappointed with how silly the show became with creature of the week like Voyage To The Bottom of the Sea before it. Johnathan Harris was a fine actor that should have been left stranded early in the series.Some of the special effects were pretty good for that era.Really really hate the PC inclusion. Make a new series with the Jupiter 3 and all new cast personalities. Hollyweird is totally bankrupt of fresh ideas.

I have not rewatched Lost in Space, but I have rewatched most of "The Time Tunnel" and that seems to have retained relevance over the years.

"The Time Tunnel" was great. Probably one of the best and most interesting series of the 60s.

I realized reading the other posts I think I may have confused the TV series "Lost in Space" with the 1956 film "Forbidden Planet". I guess I won't know till I watch a little of each. Thanks for those who mentioned "The Time Tunnel". Will definitely check that out.

Um you people commenting eith negatively about a show that hasent even been released is what's wrong with Hollywood! The writer is very wring when they said it seemed low budget and in a sense not very good.
I grew up loving Lost In Space. First of all the research I have dine on the old show and the stars, all were pleased with the directiin the show took when the robot, Dr Smith and Will became the most popular. None ever requested to get off the show at all!
Then the new movie which was a total disappointment. This new show looks OUTSTANDING. I don't mind that Dr. Smith is a woman and I don't mind the changes. Growing up with the original I always wished they would have made the show less campy and more sci-fi-ISH. So I am very happy with this new reboot. Can't wait to beng watch it in one day and research it over and over.... please get a life haters...lol

Back