1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Netflix's The Witcher is beautiful and grotesque in its first trailer

By mongeese · 19 replies
Jul 20, 2019
Post New Reply
  1. Netflix has not been forthcoming with information, yet we already know so much about the world of The Witcher from Andrzej Sapkowski’s book series (which the show is based on) and CD Projekt Red’s trilogy of games. The show will be heavily influenced by existing material, but it will deviate in a few key ways. For example, during an interview with IGN, Ciri is described as having a “sheltered upbringing” and that’s not exactly how I’d describe her in The Witcher 3.

“It’s about just going all in and making what you think it is, and it’s not necessarily conforming to what every single person says on the internet,” Henry Cavill said in San Diego. “It’s different for everyone. You just provide your insight into the character and who you think they are, and you go from there.”

Cavill, most famous for his role as Superman, is taking up the mantel of Geralt of Rivia. To the relief of many existing fans, Cavill is a dedicated The Witcher gamer himself.

“It would be like playing another run of The Witcher 3 but with a completely different skin on and that I think would be interesting, because I’ve played it through a number of times now and it’s ‘okay cool, I’ve done it, I’ve seen it’ and I still get that same enjoyment out of playing it through. But what if I could play it slightly differently? Then yeah, this is kind of what it is for me when you’re doing the show. Yes, it’s Geralt of Rivia the witcher, but he looks like me now.”

Despite earlier concerns about Cavill’s appearance in his flowing silver wig, he looks damn good. But as some fans have highlighted with some pointy questions, almost every frame in the trailer looks like it could have been an outtake from a certain, popular high-fantasy TV series that recently ended. Dedicated fans of the games will no doubt watch the show, but Netflix had better be wary of fantasy fatigue.

Permalink to story.

2. Puiu

Puiu TS Evangelist Posts: 3,511   +1,974

It looks ok, I'll check it out.

3. newcombcmb

newcombcmb TS Rookie Posts: 17   +13

Doesn't look too bad. I might have to check it out.

4. Nobina

Nobina TS Evangelist Posts: 2,000   +1,535

Maybe if they gave him a beard he would look like Geralt more. His hair looks like he's an elf. Minor complaint though.

5. noel24

noel24 TS Evangelist Posts: 523   +468

I dunno.
    It looks too clean, makeup & decorations lacks the grittiness of HBO series or even BBC, even when dirty, they look like cardboard dirty. Lighting, camera work is akward, stationary, bad choice of lense like it recorded a theatre, stage play. CGI look cheap. I hope I'm mistaken and final product will be palatable, at least on a story front.

rrwards and soulsassassin like this.
  6. BigBoomBoom

BigBoomBoom TS Booster Posts: 61   +61

And worst of all, no Gwent.

7. toooooot

toooooot TS Evangelist Posts: 879   +425

Not bad. But not Gerald and Gwen in a bed.

8. Ean Mogg

Ean Mogg TS Booster Posts: 123   +54

GWENT is in Wales if you want to know lol

9. LeroN

LeroN TS Enthusiast Posts: 86   +28

Another Orlando Bloom.

10. ET3D

ET3D TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,659   +320

Yes, he's totally Legolas in some instances, but in some other scenes he's not.

But yeah, still the prettiest.

Capaill likes this.
  11. urbanman2004

urbanman2004 TS Booster Posts: 117   +35

Presentation looks pretty solid.

darkzelda likes this.
  12. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 15,072   +4,080

The hair is probably a product placement from "Pantene"... :rolleyes: Or now that I think of it,, possibly Revlon.

13. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 11,504   +5,067

I wonder if his toenails are painted to go along with all the other Hollywood misconceptions from this era.

14. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 15,072   +4,080

Nonsense. His toenails were probably painted in the games too, you just couldn't see it unless you had a video card which would run it in "ultra" settings. :laughing:

cliffordcooley likes this.
  15. Footlong

Footlong TS Addict Posts: 149   +79

They are adapting the books. CD Projekt Red took liberties with the property to make their game feels like a different product from the books. Like Geralt having a beard and caring two swords on his back. Aging Ciri and the looks of Geralt. Making Triss hotter. Many changes that lead to a troubled relationship with the author, also he wanted more money for a bad contract that he signed with them. Another story though.

OptimumSlinky, neeyik and Capaill like this.
  16. gamerk2

gamerk2 TS Maniac Posts: 270   +165

In the books (as well as the first two games) he is explicitly clean shaven, so the lack of a beard makes perfect sense in context.

17. Capaill

Capaill TS Evangelist Posts: 917   +505

Exactly.
    So comments like this are incorrect:
    "Ciri is described as having a “sheltered upbringing” and that’s not exactly how I’d describe her in The Witcher 3."

18. bexwhitt

bexwhitt TS Evangelist Posts: 414   +128

https://I.imgur.com/elNvzN7.jpg

neeyik likes this.
  19. Nobina

Nobina TS Evangelist Posts: 2,000   +1,535

20. Capaill

Capaill TS Evangelist Posts: 917   +505

Sure it does. In the first book in chapter 2, page 27:
    "And see, here comes our rugged champion, to battle the evil witches. How like Legolas he looks, yet nary an uruk-hai in sight."

OptimumSlinky likes this.

Add your comment to this article

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...