New comp: starts, but nothing shows up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, this is my second computer build. For some reason, the computer won't start up a BIOS or boot menu. I'm 99% sure that the parts are securely fastened. I'm also 100% sure they're fastened correctly. The computer starts up, the fans run, mobo's LED light turns on, HD runs floppy works, cd-rom works, but all I see is a black screen. The keyboard LED's dont turn on (they always flicker or turn on or something when a computer starts up with it). I'm not completely sure if it's the motherboard that's messed up or something, or if I have something incompatible.

Simon's Rig as is:

Intel Pentium 4 531 Prescott 800MHz
Western Digital Caviar SE WD400JD 40GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache Serial ATA150
ASUS P5S800-VM Socket T (LGA 775) SIS 661FX Micro ATX
Kingston ValueRAM 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered

ati radeon 9600xt *it works, its my old one
Newegg Links for Parts:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131521

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=20-141-424&DEPA=1

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819116230

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144173

Newegg links should give you product info, lol. Save yourself time.

I'm not sure what the heck is going on with my comp, but it's just a black screen when everything's plugged in together and turned on.

I need help on this matter before I go absolutely insane.

my guess is its 3 possible things not working (that is if evrything is hooked up correctly) either

1. Motherboard isnt working
2. Ram isnt working
3. Harddrive isnt working

I checked all the parts and they seem compatible. Im guessing that its the motherboard that isnt working. It happened to me also, the led was on on the mobo, but nothing on the screen. My advice is call the company (asus) and tell them whats going on, they will probablly ask you to send yours in, then they will send it back. if you look on newegg, it says its only covered by the manufacture (again thats asus).

To save you some time heres the asus info you need to call:
ASUS: Website: http://usa.asus.com/
Support Phone Number: 502-995-0883

What is your PSU? and I notice that the motherboard yuo have does have onboard video. Do you have the monitor hooked up to the Video card adn not the onboard video port? if the monitor is hooked up to the video card. then remove the video card and connet the monitor to the onboard video. then boot and enter the bios and change the video from onboard to AGP shutdown and reinstall the card and hook up the monitor to it and boot.

it won't be your hard drive.

If you're not even seeing any screen at all then either your graphics card has failed or your motherboard (with associated components like ram and CPU.)

Check your cables again also.

My cables should be correct. The only cable I'm not completely sure of is the front USB ports, but I'm not using those so I just left those unplugged; along with the front audio. I'll try using the onboard video to double check the video card. The 9600xt came off my old computer FYI. The ram also FRESHLY came off my old build. I just took it out and put it into my new computer because I just upgraded.

My PSU is the stock one that came with the tower. I thought it would have been sufficient because my other computer also used a stock one.

I haven't touched any of the jumpers, so I'm hoping that that's not the problem. Other than that, my connections should be good.

I also have checked the hard drive. I can hear and feel it turn on.

Thank you for your inputs.

Okay now. I've just tried the onboard video card along with one of my upgraded sticks of ram. Ram and video card are off the list for defectiveness. I just double checked my cables to make sure they were connected right. I might need someone else to double check for me, but I didn't find anything wrong w/ith my connections.

I've come to a temporary conclusion that the motherboard is defected and will be calling ASUS and sending it back in.

Thank you guys once again.

CMOS Jumper?

Did you set the CMOS jumper from "clear" to "normal"?

I have heard of people not being able to boot up because their motherboard came with the jumper set to "clear", and they didn't change it.

My CMOS is definitely cleared; unless the picture's upside down :p

Yeah, Newegg tells me to go to ASUS, and then ASUS sends me back to Newegg. Great customer service.

No, no.

theaznone said:
My CMOS is definitely cleared; unless the picture's upside down :p

Yeah, Newegg tells me to go to ASUS, and then ASUS sends me back to Newegg. Great customer service.
No no, I meant is the CMOS CLR jumper on "normal" or on "clear"? Because if it's on "clear" (which is where it is most of the time when you get your motherboard) your system might not boot.

Does the computer beep at all when you turn it on. Also try unplugging everything inside your computer except CPU, Motherboard,Memory and power/reset buttons. Then see if you get a post screen.

This is quite strange I have just built a new system and I'm having the exact same problem as you. Also the motherboard is Asus aswell. Please let me no how replacing the PSU goes.

did u put the little gold pins in the case to install your mobo on? your mobo has to be elevated off the bottom of the case. Dont feel stupid if you havnt, believe me its been done before.

theaznone said:
my case has little screw stoops i rest it on. not sure if that makes a big difference or not though...

if they are raised of the back of the case, that should be sufficient.but the areas where there are no risings off the case back u need the little gold screw things.

yeah.... new psu, still nothing. either they sent me another bad mobo, or this computer is just a POS.

I'm calling newegg and getting it refunded ASAP.

This is also my second build and I about 95% sure everything is hooked up correctly. I am having the same problem, everything is hooked up but nothing shows on the screen. But when i start it there is a beep noise every 10 seconds or so. Is that bad? if so please give me some advice thanks.

well, if its a beeping noise, then your problem isnt the same as mine. the beeping means your mobo at least works... check your ram, vid card, and other hardware to make sure they're working properly.

also, my motherboard led's do light up.

Well I looked up what the beeping sequence meant, and it is saying its a DRAM problem. I have no idea what that is... problem with the ram mybe??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back