New CPU Fan Installed Now System won't boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fiery_WA

Gday

My old CPU fan was getting really noisy, so I rang my local PC Repair Shop, and said come and replace it please (I would have taken the tower down to the shop but currently have a broken leg and am unable to go anywhere).

Anyways I said I am running an AMD Athlon XP 1600 please bring a suitable CPU fan.

This is where it gets tricky, because I wasn't standing over his shoulder I am unsure as to whether or not he applied the thermal paste to the CPU. (He did it that quickly I suspect he didn't)

So once the fan was in the system was restarted (win2k), it hung at the ram stage. I don;t know quite how else to explain it. The system started then just stopped dead.

So he has now taken my Tower away (grrrrrrr), and I believe has tried swapping out the ram and graphics card.

I am at a loss, one minute I have a working (albeit) noisy PC, now there is nothing.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Susan

Let your fingers do the walking......

Call the Better Business Bureau. Call the police. Your call. Next time call here first. I thought it was only auto mechanics that tried to take advantage of women that badly.

since your PC is in the shop, there's not much anybody here can do for you now.

the problem could be overheating as you suspected or it could be something as simple as a dirty RAM contact (turning the tower on its side may have caused the case/motherboard to flex, allowing dust to fall into the slot... just a theory ;))

cleaning and applying new thermal compound only take a few seconds for somebody experienced in computer hardware. I'm not saying the tech did or didn't apply it, but don't assume he didn't just because it didn't take long.

you seem to know your stuff (at least with regards to changing a CPU fan) so I'm curious as to why did you not just change it yourself?

:rolleyes:

Guilty Until Proven Innocent.... No Wait, That Doesn't sound Right .....?

It seems to me that a competent tech should probably have come to these conclusions as well, while he was there. I mean I'm fairly sure these things just came to mind, you probably didn't have to go home and sleep on it.

Many CPU fans simply snap or screw onto the heatsink. No need to remove the heatsink and apply thermal paste. Since we don't know what system you have, it's just a guess.

It does require a paste, because the one he removed was pasted on. And as for installing the CPU Fan myself, I probally would have, except at the moment I have a broken leg and am housebound. So I had to call someone in.

It is a Socket A with an exposed die.

I am now thinking its either

A) A physically damaged CPU
B) The motherboard is damaged

Of the two evils I am hoping its the former not the latter :eek:

However I am one mightly pissed off redhead at the moment. Who went from having a working (noisy) tower, to no tower at all:(

Just to let you guys know, the company SMBT Computing, ended up putting in a second motherboard, after the first one failed, after they broke my original motherboard.

Now they are they are trying to charge me $350 parts and labour!!!!!!!!

it seems to me that you owe them money for making them come to your house and change your heatsink/fan. but anything after that was their fault, so they should have fixed it at their expense.

I doubt they will agree to that, but maybe you can negotiate a little... pay for the actual cost of the new motherboard but make them eat the labor costs.

whatever you decide, it's certainly not worth spending $350 on an old socket-A system. you could upgrade to a Core2Duo or an Athlon64 for that price.

:rolleyes:

they should have been straight forward with you to begin with. If I were you I wouldn't pay them a dime, except the amount that would have been paid if they had installed the fan correctly the first time. Also report them to the BBB like was suggested earlier.

1 beep then nothing

Gday

My old CPU fan was getting really noisy, so I rang my local PC Repair Shop, and said come and replace it please (I would have taken the tower down to the shop but currently have a broken leg and am unable to go anywhere).

Anyways I said I am running an AMD Athlon XP 1600 please bring a suitable CPU fan.

This is where it gets tricky, because I wasn't standing over his shoulder I am unsure as to whether or not he applied the thermal paste to the CPU. (He did it that quickly I suspect he didn't)

So once the fan was in the system was restarted (win2k), it hung at the ram stage. I don;t know quite how else to explain it. The system started then just stopped dead.

Now Just to let you guys know, the company SMBT Computing, ended up putting in a third second hand motherboard, after the first one failed, after they broke my original motherboard.

I loaded the OS on it, all was well for about a week, I rebooted the PC and got nothing.

Not even the BIOS would show up.

This third mobo is an MSI, so I went to there website, it said remove CMOS Battery for 15 minutes, and remove the JBAT1 for 15 seconds, so I did.

I unplugged the harddrive, DVD Rom, swapped out 1 of the 2 sticks of RAM, changed my new Graphics card for an old one that I knew worked (just in case it was the Graphics Card).

Plugged it back in minus everything, except for RAM and Graphics Card. Restarted it, heard 1 beep, and then looked a lovely black screen.

In the meantime they have sent me an Invoice for $250.00 for a "new (albeit a 2nd hand mobo) and an upgraded CPU.

In the meantime I have stripped the PC right down, removed the mobo and am planning on returning it to SMBT Computing, with the message of "Here's your mobo CPU back, jam your bill where the sun don't shine"

On the bright side my new dual core tower is working like a charm.

I had planned on keeping the tower as a backup PC just in case my new tower died on me. I am still looking into buying a brand new mobo and CPU, and putting it together myself.

I am pretty sure this mobo is DEAD, however there maybe something I have overlooked.

please howard don't merge and bump!!

Now Just to let you guys know, the company SMBT Computing, ended up putting in a third second hand motherboard, after the first one failed, after they broke my original motherboard.

I loaded the OS on it, all was well for about a week, I rebooted the PC and got nothing.

Not even the BIOS would show up.

This third mobo is an MSI, so I went to there website, it said remove CMOS Battery for 15 minutes, and remove the JBAT1 for 15 seconds, so I did.

I unplugged the harddrive, DVD Rom, swapped out 1 of the 2 sticks of RAM, changed my new Graphics card for an old one that I knew worked (just in case it was the Graphics Card).

Plugged it back in minus everything, except for RAM and Graphics Card. Restarted it, heard 1 beep, and then looked a lovely black screen.

In the meantime they have sent me an Invoice for $250.00 for a "new (albeit a 2nd hand mobo) and an upgraded CPU.

In the meantime I have stripped the PC right down, removed the mobo and am planning on returning it to SMBT Computing, with the message of "Here's your mobo CPU back, jam your bill where the sun don't shine"

On the bright side my new dual core tower is working like a charm.

I had planned on keeping the tower as a backup PC just in case my new tower died on me. I am still looking into buying a brand new mobo and CPU, and putting it together myself.

I am pretty sure this mobo is DEAD, however there maybe something I have overlooked

I'm sorry but you only said Howard.

No, but seriously. I'm sorry you are having trouble and I more than encourage you to visit TechSpot and use our forums, however you MUST follow posting guidelines.

I won't bother you with the lecture of why we must enforce these rules. If you want to remain in good standing please do not double post, and always use descriptive subjects in your threads, full list here:
https://www.techspot.com/extras/forum_guidelines/index.shtml

I didn't read all the posts above this but I read your situation. Once someone (who is getting paid) to repair your machine, works on it, it sort of becomes his responsibility to fix. You don't know what he has really done or not. Advise him thet even if he needs to take it somewhere himself...you want ir repaired. Don't forget that he is claiming to be the professional here. This should have been a very simple thing for the repair guy. Just remember that it's his problem now, until it's fixed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back