New Graphics Cards Won't Work w/DX10.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sghiznaneck

http://www.ggmania.com/#24035

Seems we've been snookered again. All of us who jumped on the Next Gen graphics card bandwagon and paid top dollar for the cards (GeForce 8800/Radeon 2900) are left by the wayside.
Even though the features in DX10.1 are negligible, the fact that Microsoft left us in the dust is a little unsettling. So, we may not download 10.1, but what happens with version 10.(a)(b)(c), and so on and so forth. Seems that we've blown our hard earned buck for hardware that can't support the software. So, I guess that I'll be sticking with XP instead of installing Vista when SP1 hits the streets.

DirectX 10 graphics cards will not be able to run DirectX 10.1 software. DirectX 10.1 will also need graphics cards to be specially made to work with it.

Exactly!! When I read this article yesterday, I just about flipped since I jumped on the "cutting edge" for the first time in preparation of DX10 and Vista (as soon as Service Pack 1 is released). Much to my chagrin, SP1 for Vista will include an upgrade to DX10.1 (software), which will undoubtedly make my XFX 8800 GTX card inoperable. Well, this was the first time I upgraded to top of the line, and it'll be my last (at least in the graphics department anyway). I find it hard to believe that this software issue wasn't known at the time Microsoft realized there was a problem with DX10 within Vista, and that the fix would NOT be compatible with the hardware that has hit the market since December 2006. So, if this is true, all of us who have jumped on the new wave of DX10 cards since that time, are SOL.

Isn't there already an article about this in the news forum? Anyways, moving to the point, this **** from MS pissed me off. First Vista and now this? WTF?! :mad:

Found the other article just a few minutes ago and posted there. Maybe they should be merged by a moderator with "The Power"!

That's how its like in when it comes to IT... things changes quickly and sometimes the change are quite overboard. Either you accept it and buy a new card or stick with old technology and be left to eat dust... your choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back