new to this

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a amd athlon 64 x2 dual core processor 3800 1.0gb ram,geforce 7600 gt, sata hdd and winxp. i want to transfer my old hp harddrive to my new cpu i took the hard drive out, i hooked the ribbon from the cd drive to the old hdd and it worked but i cant get to my owner documents it says "access denied" i can get to every other program and other user's documents except for mine the owner, is it because i have a password when i used to log into my old cpu. can i make the old hp harddrive os work in my new system

Ok, lets say the hard drive in question is drive letter F ...

Type this line in a command prompt (Start - Run - type "cmd" & hit Enter):

cacls F:\*.* /c /p everyone:F

Answer yes to the question "are you sure?" when prompted.

Post back with how you go.

tell me more

its 2 or 3 paragraph's long cant copy and paste but here's some of it thanks. it says /D user Deny specified user access. Wildcards can be used to specify more that one file in a command. You can specify more than one user in a command.Do you want me to write the whole thing out? when typed in what you said a cacls filename [/t] [/e] [/c] [/g user:perm] [/r user [...]] [/p user:perm [...]] [/d user [...]]. the d: drive is where i hooked my samsung harddrive at. thanks for helpin me mike p.s. whatever you need to no on my end i will explain best i can thanx

The cacls command should work, provided you specified the correct drive letter for your hard drive.
I tested it before I wrote it and again just now, seems to work ok.

What is the drive letter of your hard drive? Are there many folders within this drive? What is the main folder or folders you want access to?

The *.* covers all files, folders and sub-folders within the drive, so it really should have worked. But if it didn't, tell me the paths to the files and folders you want access to and we'll tweak the cacls command.

Cheers

If mikescorpio81's suggestion doesn't work than you can try booting on your old hdd by setting that harddrive as the boot device in your bios. However as the drive is now in a different enviroment it might have difficulties booting and will first have to recognise all the new hardware. It will be easier to reinstall the hdd to the old computer and boot it from there. You can then either copy all your files to the shared documents folder which should be accessable from your new pc, or you can allow sharing files by rightclicking the folder you want to make available, click properties go to the sharing tab and click on "if you understand the security ... click here"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back