Nike unveils the Go FlyEase, its first truly hands-free shoe

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Editor's take: Nike’s original goal with the Go FlyEase was to better support adaptive athletes with disabilities but it quickly became apparent that the shoe was “really universal.” Now, it's poised to compete directly with other well-known slip-on shoes like Crocs and serves as an alternative to other gimmicky hands-free solutions.

Nike on Monday introduced a radically different shoe that utilizes a unique design to make sliding them on and off a truly hands-free experience.

The Nike Go FlyEase employs a bi-stable hinge which, along with the FlyEase tensioner, allows the shoe to be stable in fully open and closed states. You quite literally slide your foot into it then step down to lock the rear half of the shoe in place. When it comes time to remove them, simply step on the heel using your opposite foot, step up then slide your foot out.

The shoes are part of Nike’s broader FlyEase family, which consists of more than 20 easy-entry footwear styles.

The Nike Go FlyEase shoes will be available to select Nike members starting February 15 with broader consumer availability coming later this year. Pricing wasn’t mentioned but according to CNBC, they’ll go for $120 a pair.

At that price, they’d be a bit more expensive than other slip-ons like Crocs, but they’re also targeting a different audience and arguably look far more stylish than the foam clogs.

Permalink to story.

Solving problem you never thought you had. You would think that such a big company would have the intelligence to spend money on something better these days.

You are obviously not the target market. These could be a game changer for me though. I am actually disabled and the choices of shoes I can use is limited.
This doesn't surprise me at all coming from the Techspot Peanut Gallery.

Post might as well be "Who BUYs a poop knife? I whittled mine from a wooden spoon at the age of 9!"

You are obviously not the target market. These could be a game changer for me though. I am actually disabled and the choices of shoes I can use is limited.
Yeah, I saw these and immediately thought of my partner's mum who struggles with putting on shoes (though she'd struggle to afford these)

I do the same thing even with my laced shoes. I never tie them so tight that I needed to untie and tie again all the time.

And there are already so many lace-less shoes where you can simply wear while standing and keep moving.

Anyway, the maximum effort that is required to wear these type of shoes is just bend the leg from the back and pull the shoe over the heel. How lazy normal humans (without disability) want to get?

I wonder how this is news at all!

Solving problem you never thought you had. You would think that such a big company would have the intelligence to spend money on something better these days.

Yeah, Nike is clearly a dumb company when it comes to making large profits off of it's brands and ideas for footwear. They totally suck at it. They should hire you.

Back