Nintendo confirms there will be no new Switch models this year

midian182

Staff member
Why it matters: Nintendo fans anticipating the launch of a Nintendo Switch Pro this year have been disappointed after the company's President and CEO said it wasn’t going to happen. In a call with investors, Shuntaro Furukawa said: "Please note that we have no plans to launch a new Nintendo Switch model during 2020."

Earlier this month, DigiTimes claimed that Nintendo had started volume production for a new Switch that would launch mid-2020. We also heard from an industry analyst who was convinced a Nintendo Switch Pro, which supported 4K resolutions, came with bigger cartridges, and featured more powerful components, would arrive in the next 12 months. But Furukawa has confirmed we won’t see a Pro version, at least not this year.

“Regarding Nintendo Switch, we believe that it is important to continue to communicate the appeal of both Nintendo Switch systems and expand the installed base,” reads the corporate management policy briefing.

With Microsoft and Sony releasing new consoles this holiday season, some thought Nintendo might follow in its rivals’ footsteps by launching an upgraded Switch. But the original hybrid machine only arrived in 2017, and we got both the refreshed model with the longer battery life and the Switch Lite last year.

Furukawa isn’t ruling out a future Switch Pro; it probably will happen, just not in 2020.

Before the investor call, Nintendo released its financial results. The biggest takeaway was that the Nintendo Switch had sold 52 million units, surpassing the lifetime sales of the SNES, which sold around 49.79 million units during its lifetime.

Permalink to story.

There does not need to be a Switch Pro.
I'm playing our Switch on a 75" Samsung 4K Q60R QLED (with freesync) and the picture is absolutely stunning, although the only games we have our Mario Odyssey, Breath of the Wild and Luigi's Mansion 3.
Zelda is soooooo good, most fun I've had in years, and its gorgeous.
It's amazing what that little Tegra can do.

Last edited:
Nintendo have never really been that interested in chasing the cutting edge. I would be much more interested in them throwing out some 7nm version. Easily capable of docked performance on battery, with a 1080p screen on board.

The Lite model is super conservative and doesn't use the latest process advances. The move from 20nm to 16nm is just a small step when there were much larger possibilities on the table if they were ambitious about performance. Clearly they aren't that bothered.

They know best where their market resides, cheaper handhelds and big sales. A 'Pro' version probably isn't worth the R&D for the sales it would generate.

Nintendo have never really been that interested in chasing the cutting edge. I would be much more interested in them throwing out some 7nm version.
Sure, they'll release a 7nm version when everyone else is already on 3nm. Long ago Nintendo decided that they would only sell hardware that can bring a profit instead of taking a loss on the hardware and make up the difference on software sale. Nintendo was my favorite while growing up, but they're just the Disney of the console world. As an adult, nothing from Nintendo has interested me in the past 15-20 years.

On my 65" 4k Samsung, the switch looks just fine. You have to make sure it's set to 1080p from 720, but it looks great. That said, a more powerful switch with a better view distance? I could go for that.

A switch that could do 60fps at 1080p with a larger view distance would be amazing. That said, I'm not really wanting for anything more powerful. I don't sit down and think ,"geez, these graphics need updated". The fact they're doing what they are with the hardware they have is amazing. Breath of the wild looks amazing

And no one with any real interest in it is surprised.
Some analysts will be, but most of them don't truly have any interest in what they analyse.

with a 1080p screen on board.

I don't really see any benefit on such a small screen, and in return, it would require more CPU/GPU power and use more power, in such a small device also making it hotter.

Last edited:
There does not need to be a Switch Pro.
I'm playing our Switch on a 75" Samsung 4K Q60R QLED (with freesync) and the picture is absolutely stunning, although the only games we have our Mario Odyssey, Breath of the Wild and Luigi's Mansion 3.
Zelda is soooooo good, most fun I've had in years, and its gorgeous.
It's amazing what that little Tegra can do.

Just image how good it would look on a high end 1080p TV not a 4k TV trying to fill in all the missing pixels. Per pixel native res always looks more crispy

I am of the opinion that the Switch sales surpassed SNES is because it's more affordable now with current earnings....or people becoming more richer and/or the kids are more spoilt nowadays with more rich parents buying the Switch?

Back