Nintendo pushes Breath of the Wild sequel to spring 2023

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In a nutshell: Zelda fans looking forward to getting their hands on the Breath of the Wild sequel this year will be sorely disappointed by Nintendo's latest announcement. Series producer Eiji Aonuma said the game, which was originally targeting a 2022 release, has been moved back to spring 2023.

This will give the team more time to finish developing the game and with any luck, avoid some of the launch day disasters we've seen from other games in recent memory.

Nintendo at E3 2019 shared a first look trailer for its untitled BotW sequel. A short gameplay sequel would follow at E3 2021 but both teasers left gamers with more questions than answers. Namely, Link appears to have some sort of control over the flow of time. Some also believe Nintendo injected hidden messages into the trailers through the use of reverse audio.

Aonuma in his latest message reiterated that the game's action will take place both on land and in the skies above. It also promises to deliver fresh encounters and new gameplay elements.

Perhaps we'll get another look at the in-development game at E3 2022. In the meantime, feel free to check out Nintendo's three-part documentary on the making of the original Breath of the Wild. There's also still time to try the fan-made native PC port of Ocarina of Time and even more time to sit around and daydream about a Legend of Zelda Maker-style game.

Permalink to story.

BOTW is one of the greatest games I've ever played, if only they'd release a 4k switch. I sold my switch when I moved last year but I'd totally buy another one just to play BoTW2

I’m happy waiting longer for a new BOTW. The first one was insanely well made. Nintendo typically don’t release unfinished games like CDPR, EA, or basically anyone making PC games these days so if we are waiting it should be worth it.

Personally hoping it’s cross gen, we desperately need a stronger switch, it doesn’t even need to be 4K. Just 1080p with anti aliasing and no resolution scaling and capable of easily producing 60fps. Right now BOTW runs at 900p 30fps in docked mode, it’s barely good enough. Any worse and it would be unplayable, much like that Hyrule warriors thing that looks like a blurry mess.

I’m happy waiting longer for a new BOTW. The first one was insanely well made. Nintendo typically don’t release unfinished games like CDPR, EA, or basically anyone making PC games these days so if we are waiting it should be worth it.

Personally hoping it’s cross gen, we desperately need a stronger switch, it doesn’t even need to be 4K. Just 1080p with anti aliasing and no resolution scaling and capable of easily producing 60fps. Right now BOTW runs at 900p 30fps in docked mode, it’s barely good enough. Any worse and it would be unplayable, much like that Hyrule warriors thing that looks like a blurry mess.
I've been gaming for 25+ years, I don't think I've ever had a game get me emotionally invested. Not only is the story and gameplay fantastic, it is an emotional rollercoaster. I used the pro controller tilt features too much to emulate it on PC. A lot of streamers choose to emulate it because of what you mentioned. People show what it could look like and it straight P*SSES ME OFF that Nintendo wont build something. It doesn't even have anti-aliasing at 900p. 900p30 is completely unacceptable in 2022. It was barely acceptable when the switch came out.

But, going back to the game itself, I say this as a grown man in his mid 30's, BoTW has brought a tear to my eye in a few places. Not only is it one of the greatest games ever made, it's one of the best stories ever told.

I may be one of the few who just thought the first game was dull, and I love open world games, but botw was just big and empty imho, fragile infuriating weapon system, and did it even have a story? I dunno, I gave it to my brother who ran straight to the boss, offed him and traded it all in a day.

I consider horizon and AC odyssey the greatest open world games I ever played, I still think botw gets its praise because its on the switch and has no competition there, its all ninty fans have.

I'm fine with that, I'm still waiting for my steam deck, will be perfect to play this game;)

BOTW is one of the greatest games I've ever played, if only they'd release a 4k switch. I sold my switch when I moved last year but I'd totally buy another one just to play BoTW2
I couldn't stand the "everything breaks after a certain amount of use" aspect of game-play. It's a dealbreaker for me. I walked away from BOTW and never looked back. It is a very mentally-lacking, time-wasting play mechanic and I actively avoid games that employ it. Very poor game design choice. If BOTW2 has it, it'll be yet another Zelda game to avoid.

I couldn't stand the "everything breaks after a certain amount of use" aspect of game-play. It's a dealbreaker for me. I walked away from BOTW and never looked back. It is a very mentally-lacking, time-wasting play mechanic and I actively avoid games that employ it. Very poor game design choice. If BOTW2 has it, it'll be yet another Zelda game to avoid.
Mild annoyance for me. Every so often you'd have to travel around to collect stuff to make food so I'd "gear farm" when I did that and it was basically a non issue. Early game it sucked, though. I do find durability a realistic game mechanic but the durability was WAY too low on everything in BoTW. They definitely could have implemented it better.

I may be one of the few who just thought the first game was dull, and I love open world games, but botw was just big and empty imho, fragile infuriating weapon system, and did it even have a story? I dunno, I gave it to my brother who ran straight to the boss, offed him and traded it all in a day.

I consider horizon and AC odyssey the greatest open world games I ever played, I still think botw gets its praise because its on the switch and has no competition there, its all ninty fans have.

Huh coincidence, I just finished HZD and absolutely loved it, best gaming experience in many years. Aaand I just got AC Odyssey on sale and am very much enjoying that as well...

I do find durability a realistic game mechanic but the durability was WAY too low on everything in BoTW.
I play games to escape reality, not embrace it further. When a game starts feeling like a job, it ceases to be fun. There is a big difference between challenge and tedium. I refuse to reward such flawed & poor design with money.
They definitely could have implemented it better.
On this we agree.

I play games to escape reality, not embrace it further. When a game starts feeling like a job, it ceases to be fun. There is a big difference between challenge and tedium. I refuse to reward such flawed & poor design with money.

On this we agree.
well I liked the basic crafting system they had, if you could repair it or make new weapons from broken parts I think that would actually be really cool. It could have been put in a lot better and they didn't explain at any point in the game how to gear farm. Once you figure out how to gear farm it's a non-issue, but I probably was at the 5-6 hour mark before I figured it out and that's just unacceptable. Your complaint was the number 1 complaint I've heard from BoTW.

Going back to the durability and realistic, the durability on weapons was unrealistically broken. In other games where I could have a great weapon and use it for a few hours before I had to have it repaired, that'd be fine. In other games you have to go into towns to get supplies and you can stop by a smith or something and repair your gear before it even breaks.

In BOTW it's "I have to go here to collect these supplies, these weapons spawn here here and here so I'll grab them while In in that area"

the only positive to that system and I will say THE ONLY POSITIVE, is that you couldn't just get max gear and power your way through the game. You actually had to think about your gear and save your better stuff for harder bosses. This kept the difficultly consistent without leveling enemies to you.

Huh coincidence, I just finished HZD and absolutely loved it, best gaming experience in many years. Aaand I just got AC Odyssey on sale and am very much enjoying that as well...
odyssey is just awesome in so many ways, I have valhalla sitting in my library but wont start it until I get a new gpu.

As an open world connoisseur I’m with you in HZD, outstanding game and really underrated generally. But AC Odyssey and Valhalla I am not so into, they are too big and the games feel like they are made by a corporate committee.

I don’t think any of them achieve the highs of BOTW though, that game is excellently made, it’s genuinely rewards experimentation more than any game outside of minecraft.

P.S. those on here complaining about BOTW weapons breaking haven’t played the game enough. Early weapons break easily, better weapons don’t and the master sword doesn’t break at all. BOTW isn’t easy and it tells you nothing so it’s possible that after a few hours you might get fed up of yet another weapon breaking and give up. You have to go and find good weapons but often they sit behind challenges. If you want a 5 shot bow you have to kill a lynel that’s got one, this is far from easy but once you’ve done it you will appreciate the weapon and use it frugally. It’s no game for casuals, you need to think outside the box, preserve your weapons. Personally
I think the game would be more broken if weapons didn’t break, you’d get a good sword and the game would lose its challenge, enemies wouldn’t intimidate you and you’d never bother trying out other weapon styles.

As an open world connoisseur I’m with you in HZD, outstanding game and really underrated generally. But AC Odyssey and Valhalla I am not so into, they are too big and the games feel like they are made by a corporate committee.

I don’t think any of them achieve the highs of BOTW though, that game is excellently made, it’s genuinely rewards experimentation more than any game outside of minecraft.

P.S. those on here complaining about BOTW weapons breaking haven’t played the game enough. Early weapons break easily, better weapons don’t and the master sword doesn’t break at all. BOTW isn’t easy and it tells you nothing so it’s possible that after a few hours you might get fed up of yet another weapon breaking and give up. You have to go and find good weapons but often they sit behind challenges. If you want a 5 shot bow you have to kill a lynel that’s got one, this is far from easy but once you’ve done it you will appreciate the weapon and use it frugally. It’s no game for casuals, you need to think outside the box, preserve your weapons. Personally
I think the game would be more broken if weapons didn’t break, you’d get a good sword and the game would lose its challenge, enemies wouldn’t intimidate you and you’d never bother trying out other weapon styles.
The huge worlds of the new ac games(and other games) are why I like them so much, I feel like I got my moneys worth from ac origins and odyssey, botw was just simple and bland and thats fine for those who like it but I dont buy games to find fun, odyseey gave me an army of things to do and it was all great.

the mount was able to sprint to places by itself letting me fight, so many ways to tackle quests, so many small details to see and hear, so many vistas to view from either walking around, on horseback or from your ship, small fights, big battles, hidden places and secrets.

As someone who loves to see how much devs can push tech, systems and art in games, AC, horizon, watchdogs, GTA, Mafia, mad max etc etc etc, curbstomp botw.

I downloaded Valhalla during a free week recently and kinda didn't like it so much but had heard that Odyssey was worth it. So far so good.

We have a Switch and have pretty much all the popular games except BOTW. I see BOTW as the gem that's waiting for us when the time's right. I'm sure I won't be disappointed.

When a game starts feeling like a job, it ceases to be fun.
Take away all grind and there isn't a game left — only a passive film-watching experience.

As for Nintendo, the company has its hands full tracking down ROM sites and manuals from the 80s in Japanese. Bigger more important priorities.

I downloaded Valhalla during a free week recently and kinda didn't like it so much but had heard that Odyssey was worth it. So far so good.

We have a Switch and have pretty much all the popular games except BOTW. I see BOTW as the gem that's waiting for us when the time's right. I'm sure I won't be disappointed.
I preferred Odyssey to Valhalla but neither really do it for me, they are both games where all the ingredients are perfect, great graphics, massive world, epic soundtrack, responsive combat etc but the finished product lacks character and gets boring. For me the last good AC games were Black flag and Rogue. They could have done so much with the pirate ship mechanic but we haven’t really seen much since those games came out.

You’re in for a treat with botw, just stick with it, it takes longer than most to get into I would say. It’s such a well balanced game. Also I’d deffo recommend a pro controller, it can be quite a hard game, especially with joy cons.

Take away all grind and there isn't a game left — only a passive film-watching experience.
Sorry, that would be incorrect. Even most of the rest of the Zelda series lacks that kind of game mechanic and they are no less great without it, to say nothing of the rest of games in history. "Grinding" is not a needed game mechanic for fun and challenge.

Sorry, that would be incorrect. Even most of the rest of the Zelda series lacks that kind of game mechanic and they are no less great without it, to say nothing of the rest of games in history. "Grinding" is not a needed game mechanic for fun and challenge.
It is correct. Work is what makes a video game not a movie.

Sitting passively doing nothing other than watching and listening is a movie.

Doing something, like using a controller, is work. That's a video game. That is grind and is needed to make a game a game.

It is correct. Work is what makes a video game not a movie.
That statement shows both your age and your experience level. MOST games that are fun and challenging have NO grinding element.
Sitting passively doing nothing other than watching and listening is a movie.

Doing something, like using a controller, is work. That's a video game. That is grind and is needed to make a game a game.
You seem to be missing the context of my earlier point.

That statement shows both your age and your experience level. MOST games that are fun and challenging have NO grinding element.

You seem to be missing the context of my earlier point.
The logic I presented is watertight.

Games are interactive. Films are passive.

Interaction is work. Work = grind.

Context has nothing to do with these assertions.

What you're objecting to are specific examples/types of grind, not grind itself. You're speaking to your individual taste in games, not universal fact.

Interaction is work. Work = grind.
Thank you for proving my point about context.
Context has nothing to do with these assertions.
Reading comprehension also seems to be a problem.
What you're objecting to are specific examples/types of grind, not grind itself.
You are using "grind" in a different way than most people. Performing a task is NOT a synonym for "grinding"
You're speaking to your individual taste in games, not universal fact.
True! At least you understood THAT. Some people enjoy tedium and monotonous repetition. Some do not. Some like different forms of same, others do not. In a video game, when I acquire an item, I expect it to be useful so long as I possess it. I do NOT expect it to break or become non-functional requiring replacement. For me(and I am FAR from alone in this opinion) such game mechanics are irritating, frustrating and completely break the immersion.

If you disagree with these points, good for you. I don't care. Move along and quit trying(and failing) to tell me how to think and talk.

Back