Nintendo SNES Classic Review

Hmmmmm .... too small to be a good door stop or paperweight .... what was the reason we were supposed to want one ??????

For that price it's almost an scam, only 21 games? Why doesn't it have some kind of e-store to get the games at $1-2 a pop? It's a terrible model for classic games. It's just a collector's item it's not a good alternative for emulators and roms

Sold out at my nearest walmart. Lady told me I was late to the party. Went to toysrus and line was long but got a pass. Im glad I took a day from work.

For that price it's almost an scam, only 21 games? Why doesn't it have some kind of e-store to get the games at $1-2 a pop? It's a terrible model for classic games. It's just a collector's item it's not a good alternative for emulators and roms

This is an amazing console for $80. Yeah, for the tech savvy you could just emulate all these games. It would also be nice if these were on the Switch.

Still, $80 for a console + 21 games is an incredible value. There is hundreds of hours (maybe thousands) worth of play time on this console. The jump from 8-bit to 16-bit is absolutely huge from a development standpoint and most modern indie titles are basically just refining what was created during this era.

Been there, done that. Some of the games were cool for the time but I can't ever imagine myself replaying them again simply because my interest them has long since died.

When we are used to emulators

This is an amazing console for $80. Yeah, for the tech savvy you could just emulate all these games. It would also be nice if these were on the Switch.

Still, $80 for a console + 21 games is an incredible value. There is hundreds of hours (maybe thousands) worth of play time on this console. The jump from 8-bit to 16-bit is absolutely huge from a development standpoint and most modern indie titles are basically just refining what was created during this era.

That's the problem when we are too familiar with emulators, we fail to see the value in these kind of machines. But when we consider that classic games like these would probably sell for $4 or $5 in Steam, that makes it >$80. For $80 (suggested price) you get the games and on top of that you get the hardware to run them on, it actually makes for good value.

I disagree that the NES didn't have any playable games... I still occasionally plug it in to play Mike Tyson's Punch Out (the one before he lost to Buster Douglas and they switched him with "Mr. Dream"). And Super Mario is still tons of fun...

The 5 SNES Classic games that are most worth playing in their entirety:
Final Fantasy VI
Super Mario World
Super Metroid
The Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past
Earthbound

mario kart or donkey kong should be in there

Hmmmmm .... too small to be a good door stop or paperweight .... what was the reason we were supposed to want one ??????
I don't understand your need to read and post to every article. You didn't want one before reading the article and weren't going to change your mind because of the article, so why even read it. Ok, so you read it. Do you really think anyone cares that you don't want one? I don't plan to get one, but think it's a cool idea and brings back good memories of my childhood. The people buying it feel the same, only stronger. How narcissistic are you?

I don't understand your need to read and post to every article. You didn't want one before reading the article and weren't going to change your mind because of the article, so why even read it. Ok, so you read it. Do you really think anyone cares that you don't want one? I don't plan to get one, but think it's a cool idea and brings back good memories of my childhood. The people buying it feel the same, only stronger. How narcissistic are you?

LOL ...... Really? If you don't like them, don't read them! I fought for this country and the right to exercise my free speech, what did you do?

My old 4:3 monitor + Emulator + 4 dollar ebay SNES USB controller = my SNES Classic

Same here I don't care how nintendo feels about pirating or its stances right about now.
If they really can't offer better than their last mini nes console.
Then I'll keep on doing what I've been doing for years now.
The 3ds right now is worth it to me out of all the other consoles they got.
https://www.target.com/p/sega-genesis-flashback-hd-2017-console/-/A-52604747
I don't have a need for this but it looks mighty mighty tempting, half of those games not sonic is worth the money.

The NES games are too dated in graphics compared to the SNES games. Anything that does graphics in 3D (N64, any older playstation, any older xbox, any older other console) will look shocking after experiencing modern graphics. But because the SNES is mostly 2D and does it really well this is actually a really good show by Nintendo. Lets just hope they can keep stock levels up especially for Christmas if they want to make some BIG bank.

They will nintendo is doing this to build up enough money for 2018, that and paying off every other employee working for them.
Some nes games still do look good and I still play it off and on but the eshop nes titles isn't really worth a repurchase.
If they would put battle toads in it, disney games such as darkwing, ducktales, bases loaded, techmobowl.
It just really baffles me of why they are so stingy not to release those games but they cry rape about pirating it ?
If they put the games out there that I wanted, it would be like catching bass with sharp chedder cheese and peanut butter.

I'm extremely tempted to get one... the price is amazing for the games you get, I would play almost all of them just for nostalgia's sake.

I pre-ordered mine as soon as that was possible here in New Zealand and I was very happy to get my SNES mini on release. I never owned a SNES with the Wii being my first and last console of any kind. On the Wii I mostly played virtual console games anyway and homebrew makes it a nifty little emulation machine.

Anyway I'm very happy with my SNES mini. Yes, you can get a similar experience using a retropie or even just a HTPC connected to your TV with your choice of emulator front-end and whatever controller you favour.

However, the SNES mini comes with some absolute gems, is an official Ninteno product, comes with the correct SNES gamepads and the games run very well, thanks to the proprietary emulator created by Nintendo European Research and Development (NERD) . It's just a great little thing to have and once hackchi has been fully updated and tested to work with the SNES mini, I'll be able to add even more awesome games to it.

And unlike the 8-bit NES games, I find the SNES games to be still fully playable with my young kids absolutely loving Super Mario World. They literally do not care that they are playing a 27 (!!!!) year old 16-bit game. On my 40" Samsung flat screen, the game looks crisp, the colours are awesome and everyone is having a blast. I'd occasionally still the old 8-bit Super Mario Bros. on the Wii VC but my kids never really took to it and for me it's mostly nostalgia. It's absolutely fascinating to see how far Nintendo jumped ahead with the SNES and to see that those games still offer tremendous fun in 2017.

Back