Nintendo Switch now supports Denuvo DRM, including the ability to block PC emulation

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In a nutshell: Denuvo protection technologies are now available to Nintendo Switch developers. Irdeto, the company behind the controversial digital rights management software, said its software is now available on the Nintendo Developer Portal (NDP) as authorized Switch middleware. As the first security partner on the portal, devs will now be able to access their Switch Emulator Protection to shield launch titles from piracy.

As Irdeto highlights, even if the PC version of a game ships with piracy protection, the Switch version can be emulated from day one and played on the PC. This effectively circumvents piracy protections and works with any Switch game.

Irdeto said blocking unauthorized emulations on PC can allow studios to maximize revenue during their game's launch window, which is when a game experiences its peak earnings potential.

No doubt aware of its reputation, the company was quick to point out that its tech integrates seamlessly into build toolchains with no impact on a game's performance.

Irdeto, who purchased Denuvo in 2018, said its flagship game security product is used on over 1,000 games and has registered more than two billion unique installs.

As for controversy, there has certainly been a lot of it over the years. Hackers have been in a constant cat-and-mouse game of cracking Denuvo protection, only for its maker to release the next version with hardened security. For others, the bigger issue has to do with the alleged performance issues brought about by the software's implementation.

Just last month, Irdeto sought to prove that Denuvo doesn't impact game performance by creating a program where "trusted media" will get two copies of a game to test if there is any meaningful performance difference between the one with Denuvo and the one without.

As we highlighted at the time, independent testing would definitely help paint a better picture of Denuvo's impact on a particular game. The trusted media program is expected to be up and running later this year, but Irdeto has not yet provided a solid launch window.

Image credit: Lucas Santos, Pixabay

Permalink to story.

It'll just take longer for releasesnto come out to be available but they will figure out a workaround as DRM is not particularly seen in a good light in that scene

This is a dumb move. It is not like Nintendo hardware is very powerful to begin with. Adding DRM such as Denuvo is just going to exacerbate the problem.
I was thinking the same thing. Denuvo doesn't have a real performance impact on modern hardware but the switch was already obsolete when it came out.

And maybe if they would release a 4k switch like everyone has been asking them to then people want to emulate them to get basic features like Anti-Aliasing.

This is a dumb move. It is not like Nintendo hardware is very powerful to begin with. Adding DRM such as Denuvo is just going to exacerbate the problem.
True but that would assume rational thinking. Look at best selling game right now Baldurs Gate 3, does it have any protection? NO.
As per Denuvo logic it shall not be selling at all being a Single player game with no DRM but in reality it's selling brilliantly.
Let them destroy Switch's performance, battery life and kill the whole gaming on the move USP of the Switch.

nd maybe if they would release a 4k switch like everyone has been asking them to then people want to emulate them to get basic features like Anti-Aliasing.
Does anybody really need 2160p on a handheld Tinkertoy, or do they just want it, to the point of, "having to have it?

I was thinking the same thing. Denuvo doesn't have a real performance impact on modern hardware but the switch was already obsolete when it came out.

And maybe if they would release a 4k switch like everyone has been asking them to then people want to emulate them to get basic features like Anti-Aliasing.
A 4k Switch? PS5 and XSX cannot even run but a very small percentage of their catalogues at 4K. A 1080p Switch with native 1080p games would be nice to see. If it supported DLSS/FSR to get the image up to a 4K performance mode image reconstruction for 4K televisions, that's probably the best we can hope for in Switch 2. There is no way a handheld is going to be even RTX 2060 level of performance still. Probably looking at best XSS levels of performance on Switch 2 and that's still a stretch.

Does anybody really need 2160p on a handheld Tinkertoy, or do they just want it, to the point of, "having to have it?
I have never used my switch as handheld. I would be fine if it had AA at 720 and let my TV upscale it.
A 4k Switch? PS5 and XSX cannot even run but a very small percentage of their catalogues at 4K. A 1080p Switch with native 1080p games would be nice to see. If it supported DLSS/FSR to get the image up to a 4K performance mode image reconstruction for 4K televisions, that's probably the best we can hope for in Switch 2. There is no way a handheld is going to be even RTX 2060 level of performance still. Probably looking at best XSS levels of performance on Switch 2 and that's still a stretch.
When I say a 4k switch I'm more interested in it outputting native 4k. I game at 4k on my PC but most of what I really play is 10+ years old. I have no problem running EvE or ESO at 4k and I get between 70-90FPS on a 6700xt.

Switch games are less demanding than either EvE or ESO. For people like me who never asked for a handheld but still want to play the games, give us a "4k switch."

I have never used my switch as handheld. I would be fine if it had AA at 720 and let my TV upscale it.

When I say a 4k switch I'm more interested in it outputting native 4k. I game at 4k on my PC but most of what I really play is 10+ years old. I have no problem running EvE or ESO at 4k and I get between 70-90FPS on a 6700xt.

Switch games are less demanding than either EvE or ESO. For people like me who never asked for a handheld but still want to play the games, give us a "4k switch."
I don't see Nintendo releasing two different sets of specs for the same console generation. At best you would get a TV only version of the console with the same configuration, but a little less money due to having no screen/battery etc, but probably not worth the downgrade. I think it is unlikely that there will be a dock with an eGPU either. None of those things would make Nintendo money or increase their market size.

I don't see Nintendo releasing two different sets of specs for the same console generation. At best you would get a TV only version of the console with the same configuration, but a little less money due to having no screen/battery etc, but probably not worth the downgrade. I think it is unlikely that there will be a dock with an eGPU either. None of those things would make Nintendo money or increase their market size.
It wouldn't be that hard, it uses a Tegra chip made on the 20nm process. But Nintendo had to go amd choose basically a dead platform. Tegra was exciting for its time but now we have AMD APUs more powerful. No one asked for the Switch. The WiiU's most controversial was the controller. Further, the number one complaint I hear about the switch is that it's not a dedicated console. Considering how many multiplayer games it has, im really surprised Nintendo didn't do more to address this.

So now Nintendo is implementing DRM into its games because they won't address the reason people are pirating it. I own a switch and the Zelda games, but I download them and emulate them on my PC so I can have basic features like AntiAlaisng and gaming above 30FPS.

People arent pirating switch games because rhey don't want to pay for them, they're pirating because Nintendo won't give people basic features that have been expected for nearly 15 years now

It wouldn't be that hard, it uses a Tegra chip made on the 20nm process. But Nintendo had to go amd choose basically a dead platform. Tegra was exciting for its time but now we have AMD APUs more powerful. No one asked for the Switch. The WiiU's most controversial was the controller. Further, the number one complaint I hear about the switch is that it's not a dedicated console. Considering how many multiplayer games it has, im really surprised Nintendo didn't do more to address this.

So now Nintendo is implementing DRM into its games because they won't address the reason people are pirating it. I own a switch and the Zelda games, but I download them and emulate them on my PC so I can have basic features like AntiAlaisng and gaming above 30FPS.

People arent pirating switch games because rhey don't want to pay for them, they're pirating because Nintendo won't give people basic features that have been expected for nearly 15 years now
Switch was a compromise, Nintendo was making more money off its handheld systems. Even though the Wii sold very well, software sales were pathetic. Wii U, was Nintendo's worst selling home console. The DS and 3DS both had high software attachment rates and system sales. The Switch was a genius marketing move. You still bring over your console fans, but you keep the handheld market (mostly younger kids). Considering that Switch is on track to surpass the PS2 in lifetime sales, it's really hard to say, "no one asked for it". No one asked for the iPhone 1 either, btw. I really thought the Switch would fail because of its lack of power, it was barely faster than the Wii U. But, I was wrong, it has been extremely successful for Nintendo.
Yes, I realize that those wanting a powerful console are disappointed in the Switch's performance. But, it still paid off for Nintendo. I would like to see something more powerful from Nintendo as well, but I'm being realistic about it. Nintendo hasn't released a graphics competitive console since GameCube. They have very little reason to with the Switch 2 either. I am hoping that it's at least competitive with XSS in terms of performance, but chances are it won't be.

Denuvo is garbage, created by a garbage company. Nintendo needs to stop doing things like this.

Back