Denuvo wants to prove its DRM doesn't affect game performance

nanoguy

Staff member
Why it matters: Denuvo may be one of the most hated forms of digital rights management (DRM) used by video game publishers, but the company behind it wants to prove that its technology isn't as bad as its portrayal in the media might suggest. That anti-tamper and anti-piracy software are a necessary evil is a subject that will be debated for many years to come. However, their performance impact is a side effect that might need to be measured before any meaningful discussion can take place around it.

Irdeto – the company that acquired Denuvo back in 2018 – has traditionally been quiet about any criticism thrown at its DRM software, but that's about to change. During a recent interview with Ars Technica's Kyle Orland, Irdeto Chief Operating Officer of Video Games Steve Huin explained his company is well aware that Denuvo is viewed in a negative light by both digital pirates as well as the gaming community.

Huin says he's not surprised that pirates and game crack developers hate Denuvo and points out that software technologies like Denuvo ensure game studios make money from their work and are thus able to pour those revenues into making more games. He also wants gamers to understand that Denuvo is built by gamers out of a deep love for games, "with the intent to make the industry better and stronger."

You don't have to scour the Internet for proof that most gamers don't see Denuvo as the positive force for good that Huin is describing. When Intel launched its Alder Lake CPUs, Denuvo made life hard for many a gamer for a few months. Sometimes developers struggle to make Denuvo play well with their games, which is why some like Square Enix and Capcom even choose to remove it from their titles once the initial wave of sales has passed.

The standard activation limit of Denuvo can make it harder for hardware reviewers to test CPU and GPU performance across several machines without waiting for a 24-hour timer to reset. This can also affect people with large families who are trying to share their game libraries. And let's also mention the fact that any problem with Denuvo's activation servers can prevent paying customers from playing their games. Some people trying to play games on a Steam Deck through Proton have also experienced issues when running Denuvo-protected titles.

That said, Huin is more worried about claims that Denuvo has a significant performance impact, especially in CPU-bound titles where every free CPU cycle counts. At times, developers themselves have blamed the controversial software for frame rate drops and other issues. Huin says public comparisons between games with and without Denuvo aren't possible without access to both a protected and an unprotected copy of a game, and things get complicated when games typically receive several patches after their release.

As a result, Irdeto is looking to put such claims to rest by developing a special program where "trusted media" will get both relevant copies of a game to test if there's any meaningful performance difference between the one with Denuvo and the one without. Independent testing would definitely help paint a better picture of Denuvo's impact on a particular game, so we'll have to wait and see. Huin says the company plans to launch the program later this year, but there's no date set in stone.

Performance concerns aside, it's hard to deny that Denuvo does have a good track record in protecting games against piracy. It's not a foolproof solution, but it often prevents or at least delays the release of game cracks. According to the CrackWatch subreddit, the typical Denuvo-protected title received around six months of effective DRM. And of the 127 Denuvo-protected games released since 2020, around half have yet to be cracked.

Moving forward, Irdeto is also trying its best to promote anti-cheat technology developed under the Denuvo brand. Huin says the company has a novel approach that builds upon the body of work done with the anti-tamper tech, though the anti-cheat is meant to offer code integrity protection at runtime rather than just when a game is loaded.

Interestingly, Huin notes that because of this difference in how the two technologies work, the anti-cheat will have an impact on game performance and the target is to keep that under one percent. This is great news for competitive gamers, and Irdeto hopes its anti-cheat tech will also help improve the public perception of Denuvo over time. Time will tell, but it's safe to assume that Irdeto has its work cut out for it.

Permalink to story.

Probably not a complete snowjob ( PR stunt ) - so they know it's something to factor in.
It actually is why often why we can not have nice things
Eg so many products are gimped , over labelled , restricting full or proper use - silly to ward of silly users and lawsuits - I mean industry wide

When you see a well known - product and you why do they do this silly thing to limit use - I sure 80% plus of the time it's for legal reasons

Too many times hackers proved that games without Denuvo play better with higher FPS and are more stable, so lame deflect.
First, Denuvo has to prove that it does not collect info about users and sell them without users knowledge and explicit consent.

Last edited:
Smart move. They may find to their surprise that reviewers who benchmark games regularly are better able to find and document performance differences than their internal team. This in turn may lead to them better understanding what they have to fix.

I want Denuvo to show conclusive, irrefutable evidence that piracy can directly impact game sales and in exactly what proportion. Because time and time again, we've seen studies that show the opposite being true despite the widespread myth that anti-piracy measures are always strictly necessary spread by companies like Denuvo that directly stand to gain from a problem only themselves seem to be able to show it exists and no other serious researcher can confirm.

I'll tell you the best way to 'stop' piracy on your games: strike a decent balance between the price tag and the value offered by your game. Once you actually launch when you're ready to instead of when a publisher forces a game out which is almost always before the game is even finished or even reasonably bug free, you'll stop piracy. Once you don't expect people to pay you for day one DLC for content or content you pretty clearly removed from the initial release to sell later, have on disc DLC content, include microtransactions in a single player game or affecting a single player experience I bet you wouldn't even need to be discussing malware like Denuvo and whenever it negatively affects performance or not.

Last edited:
Smart move. They may find to their surprise that reviewers who benchmark games regularly are better able to find and document performance differences than their internal team. This in turn may lead to them better understanding what they have to fix.
They have no interest in "fixing" anything, they only want to promote their brand and run some interference on the whole "cracked games run better then DRMed trash" thing that keeps happening.
Probably not a complete snowjob ( PR stunt )
lol. LMFAO.

Why do people trust multi million dollar companies anymore? NEVER EVER trust 1st party graphs or tests. Everyone should know this.

I see the point of denuvo but its in a no win situation, even with gamepass being pitched for a dollar, and other services to get games for cheap or on crazy sales...for some people its still to much.

sucks to be a dev, all that work and time to give people something to have fun with and they dont wanna give you dime, then flip the script and use something like denuvo to justify stealing...

no wonder pc is mostly an afterthought for some devs, its almost wasted work time.

I see the point of denuvo but its in a no win situation, even with gamepass being pitched for a dollar, and other services to get games for cheap or on crazy sales...for some people its still to much.

sucks to be a dev, all that work and time to give people something to have fun with and they dont wanna give you dime, then flip the script and use something like denuvo to justify stealing...

no wonder pc is mostly an afterthought for some devs, its almost wasted work time.
Oh no, who will think of the poor developers that create half baked items like halo infinite?!?

The gaming industry has been raking in record profits for YEARS. Excuse me if my handkerchief remains dry at the news they might only make 150 million instead of 151 million on Call of Battlefield 76.

"Denuvo is built by gamers out of a deep love for games".

Reminds me of the most downvoted Reddit comment.
Makes me really trust their intentions (not).

Drm has no reason to exist except for the fear of missing out on profits. Why don't you just say it? At least it'd be honest.

"Denuvo is built [for corporate execs] with the intent to [make our profits] stronger".
There, fixed it for you. Was that so hard?

Last edited:
They have no interest in "fixing" anything, they only want to promote their brand and run some interference on the whole "cracked games run better then DRMed trash" thing that keeps happening.
lol. LMFAO.

Why do people trust multi million dollar companies anymore? NEVER EVER trust 1st party graphs or tests. Everyone should know this.
Oh don't trust them- but they have an invested interest to do better
I had 2 Commodore 1541 floppy drives - they were not cheap for a 18/19th year old to buy . Use to do my head in listening to their heads banging trying to read deliberate write errors on the edges of the disc - given that they were surprising reliable - except that DRM could make them go out of alignment

Then you had some red cellophane junk - go to page xy in guide book and read out code in space shown there.
Or dongles - better not lose them

Or being threatened that the FBI would come to NZ fine me $1000 and jail me for life if I copied a DVD - not my fault NZ stores sold cheap chinese DVD players and some accidental key presses on the remote removed DRM

Back