Nlhook.exe - Entry Point Not Found

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klytus

I'm getting an error on a Windows XP SP2 Dell D505 laptop with BIOS A11. The blue-bar on the error window is "nlnhook.exe - Entry Point Not Found" The text of the error is: "The procedure entry point JSJ_ConnectToJavaVM could not be located in the dynamic link library js32.dll."

Once I uninstalled Symantec AntiVirus 10.1.5 (the version our company uses) the error went away. After a few reboots to install all the Windows. I even uninstalled and re-installed Have 6.1 All was well so long as SAV 10.1.5 was not installed. Then, I re-installed SAV 10.1.5 and just before it gets to being "finished", the error appears.

I have never had this problem before. Now this machine also has JInitiator 1.3.1.22 - do I need to uninstall/re-install that as well? Or this a problem of a different sort altogether?

I can find no info on nlhook.exe, so it`s possibly some kind of malware.

Go and read this thread HERE and post a HJT log as an attachment into this thread.

Regards Howard :)

As per your request...

And thank you.

Actually, its nlnhook.exe - my fault, I had a typo in my original entry.

Ah, that makes all the difference lol. Your HJT log is clean BTW.

Your problem is caused by Symantec/Norton. I can`t say I`m surprised as we see all to many problems caused by that resource hogging crapware.

Taken from HERE.

Application error against NLNHook.exe
Fix ID: 631405
Symptom: After installing Symantec AntiVirus, then logging on as a restricted user, an application error is generated against NLNHook.exe.
Solution: Added a check of the return code from the NotesInitExtended call. If Notes has not yet been configured for this user, do not try to add the hook to Notes.ini.

The best advice I can give you, is to get rid of Symantec/Norton and use another security programme.

howard_hopkinso said:
Ah, that makes all the difference lol. Your HJT log is clean BTW.

Your problem is caused by Symantec/Norton. I can`t say I`m surprised as we see all to many problems caused by that resource hogging crapware.

Taken from HERE.

The best advise I can give you, is to get rid of Symantec/Norton and use another security programme.

Two problems: 1) I'm not in a position to get our company to switch away from SAV and 2) I'm logged in as the Administrator, not a restricted user.

BTW - which AntiVirus application *do* you recommend?

I recommend either Kaspersky or AVG pro as an antivirus programme, though there are plenty of others, but stay away from McAfee.

Gah! The mere *mention* of McAffe makes me shudder. I'll give Kaspersky and AVG a look for my home systems.

Thanks for the feedback, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back