No audio playback on Dell with Windows XP!

Hello! I am in need of some help with my audio configuration. I was going through my Add/Remove programs and uninstalled Java and Quicktime (trying to make space because my computer was so slow!). Unfortunately, now whenever I try to play a video on Youtube or listen to iTunes, I don't get any sound.

An error message comes up saying "There is a problem with your audio configuration. Audio/video playback may not operate properly."

I then went into Control Panel > System > System Properties > Hardware > Device Manager and found a yellow '!' next to 'Multimedia Audio Controller' (in 'Other Devices'). The only option available was to reinstall the driver but this message appears:

"The hardware was not installed because the wizard cannot find the necessary software."

I went to Dell.com and looked for drivers for my model (service tag: JFQC441) and found no results. I also tried putting the Devices CD-ROM from Dell into the Tower but no luck.

I know nothing about PC's but I have a Macbook and have never dealt with anything like this before... And I want to avoid contacting Dell or the Geek Squad.

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. Thank you!!!

Reinstall Java and QuickTime. Uninstalling these will make little difference in your hard drive space. You probably mistakenly deleted your audio drivers too. Download and run free Temp File Cleaner, but make sure Java is installed first. Also download and run free SuperAntispyware. Doing this will speed up your system and if you can, increase your system memory to the max allowed. If you have more than 20GB free on the hard drive, you're okay, if you have less than 20GB left, you will need a bigger hard drive. How big is the hard drive now?

I went to Dell.com and looked for drivers for my model (service tag: JFQC441) and found no results.
That's weird. I also checked the dell site for your tag and also checked for Dimension 4600C and odd Dell shows 0 drivers! Never saw dell do that before

I then went into Control Panel > System > System Properties > Hardware > Device Manager and found a yellow '!' next to 'Multimedia Audio Controller' (in 'Other Devices'). The only option available was to reinstall the driver but this message appears:
Did you try reinstalling by right clicking on Multimedia Audio Controller and select Update Driver? Then follow prompts to let Windows search online

If problem persists do the following. Might help me find a driver for you
List any Problem Devices
  • Make sure devices are connected and powered on
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post
  • On the other hand, if no devices are listed, tell me so
Generate and attach a DirectX report
  • Click Start->Run, enter dxdiag
  • Notice progress in lower left window corner
  • When done, click Save Information button and save to your Desktop
  • In TechSpot window, use the paper clip icon to attach the report. (If you don't see icon you may need to first click Go Advanced)

Excuse the double post but to make sure you see this..

Re: Dell's website showing 0 drivers

I think it may be a problem with the Dell site. I just happened to see it again for someone else's model. So, I just checked it for my own Dell model which is also now showing 0 drivers!

Suggest you check the Dell site again over the next day or two as it looks like it's a dell web site problem so i'm sure they will fix it show the drivers again

Back