No Plug n' Play Monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

captaincranky

I have an Emachine T-5026 with an Intel 915GAG board. Ubuntu 7.10 is installed. I currently have a SOYO 24" LCD monitor in the system, (1920 X 1200 native resoution).
Ubuntu will not pick this monitor up at more than 640 X 480 resolution. I couldn't find a video driver for the Linux at Intel's support page. What now?

The previous monitor was a Westinghouse 22" at 1680 X 1050 resolution. Ubuntu picked this up at a maximum of 1280 X 1024.

The Intel XP video drivers for this chipset will provide all native resolutions.

Perhaps install an inexpensive graphics card which does have driver support for Linux.

I've Been Punked By Emachines....

Emachines thoughtfully omitted the PCI-E x16 socket from this board. I'm guessing they figured, if you can't install a video card, then you can't blow up the PSU. The Bestec 300 blew up anyway.

Elegant solution though, I should probably scrub Linux on this box, and try it on my other Emachine which has a PCI-E socket.

Yes, I have 2 Emachines, don't say a word.

Thanks for the idea.

Actually, Emachine #2 is probably a good candidate for Linux anyway, since it has IDE HDDs, and I've run into problems in later boards, where Linux wouldn't pick up the HAL to run SATA as IDE. (When XP would).

I'm not sure you'd want to do it but you could still install a plain jane PCI graphics card in Emachine #1 provided it will support Linux.

Time Out.........

Mailpup, I just downloaded the new Ubuntu 8.04LTS and Wubi installer, to try on Emachine #2 (64 bit Celeron 346). Any thoughts about that?

Meanwhile I'm going to drag Emachines #2's 19", 1280 X 1024 monitor downstairs to try on Emachine #1. (32 bit P4 519) I realize that this is not reverse engineering's finest hour, but I'm trying to humor the old T-5026 so it won't think I'm taking it for granted. Sort of, "look, at least I'm trying. See if you like this monitor". That's silly, I know.

I'll get back to you as soon as I have the results of the "scientific" testing.

The plain PCI card's a pretty good idea, BTW.

captaincranky said:
I have an Emachine T-5026 with an Intel 915GAG board. Ubuntu 7.10 is installed. I currently have a SOYO 24" LCD monitor in the system, (1920 X 1200 native resoution).
Ubuntu will not pick this monitor up at more than 640 X 480 resolution. I couldn't find a video driver for the Linux at Intel's support page. What now?

The previous monitor was a Westinghouse 22" at 1680 X 1050 resolution. Ubuntu picked this up at a maximum of 1280 X 1024.
Can you attach the Xorg log? ( /var/log/Xorg.0.log or something like that)

Yes Plug and Play Monitor.....

I dredged up this old thread to recount my latest experience. I uninstalled Ubuntu 7.10 a couple of weeks ago. Then last night, I tried running a live session of Ubuntu 8.04. My monitor was picked up at it's native resolution of 1920 X 1200 with no muss, no fuss, and no intervention by me of any kind whatsoever. Go figure. ! or ?, you make the call.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back