No sound from PC at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcfell27

Hi

I'm trying to work out why a IBM thinkcentre has no sound from the onboard sound card. Searched posts with no avail.

It's a realtek AC'97. (soundmax digital)

I've located and installed the latest drivers ' wdm_a387.exe ' and still nothing.

Also I've done all the other troubleshooting I could think of, including swaping the speakers for ones I know work and checking basic connections etc. wiggling the jack does make a static sound through the speakers, but that's the only sound I can get through them.

Below is some sysinfo, hope it's enough for you to help me.

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name ASHLAR
System Manufacturer IBM
System Model 819552M
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9 GenuineIntel ~3192 Mhz
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9 GenuineIntel ~3192 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date IBM 2AKT39AUS, 5/20/2004
SMBIOS Version 2.31
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180
(xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
User Name ASHLAR\David
Time Zone AUS Eastern Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 1,024.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 737.73 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.95 GB
Page File Space 2.40 GB

BTW the owner of the machine tells me that he bought the machine new from IBM (his daughter used to work there) and dosen't think the speakers have ever worked.

Thanks for any advice you can give...

Cheers

Is it showing up in the Sounds & Audio bit of the control panel?

if so, click on the Audio TAB, Sound Playback, advanced, and make sure some form of speakers are selected - there is a provision for None!

Then go to the Volume bit of Sound Playback, and ensure nothing is muted or turned right down.

Tell us how you go

Thanks for you reply,

Yes, 'soundmax integrated digital' is showing up under default device in the audio tab, desktop speakers are selected and nothing is muted or turned down.

Any other suggestions??

have you check your DM (Device Manager) or something conflict or question mark on any other devices? have you tried to uninstalled the drivers and installed it again?..will see if gonna works.

-Lancelot

personally I would just put a sound card in if you can.Integrated audo can be prioblamatic and dificult to troubleshoot. Even the cheapest sound cards produce higher quality sound than integrated audio will.A sound card will also free processer resources for other uses.

I forgot to mention... Check in the BIOS that Onboard Audio isn't disabled.

May be called AC97 audio, etc etc

If thats not it, then it's time for a soundcard...

Thanks again,

No problem in the device manager (tried uninstall and re., ) and the bios is enabled for audio.

New sound card is the sounds like the go.

Cheers

Depending on your wallet, you can probably pick up a 2nd hand soundblaster or similar for next to nothing, or Audigy 2 Values are going cheap these days, I have one and it works a treat - EAX sounds great in Farcry, UT2004 etc
{I have 5.1 speakers}

Make sure you Disable the onboard in the BIOS when using a soundcard, or you'll be in exactly the same boat.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back