No sound from websites

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghoulz

my sound has stopped working on videos on websites and headphones wont work either, i ran dxdiag and my sounds shows up and works when i run it but not with anything else any idea whats causing this?

Can be a driver issue with your sound card (Make and model and Windows version, on computer ?)

But it sounds as though you are missing the codecs online.
There are many free codec packages.

Here's one for Xp: http://www.free-codecs.com/download/XP_Codec_Pack.htm
Here's one for Vista: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=5326

To avoid myself and others, supplying extra links, you may want to put your System Specs in your Profile

If you have a proprietory computer like Dell; HP; Acer etc, please manually write this in the mobo field (ie Dell Dimension 3100 - as an example)

it's not my computer it's a friends so not sure of the specs all i know is it's a HP Pavilion, and the strange thing is i found a audio file and it plays with no problem, just cant get any sound at all on streaming video,and i downloaded the codecs and still nothing

Buy a cheap PCI sound card like the Creative Audigy SE and install it, remembering to turn off the on-board sound

the sound card is fine, it played sound from the computer just not streaming video and for some reason the device itself is gone now after messing with HP's homepage

Boy are you looking in the wrong place. You will have to know the model number of the Pavilion, and go to HP.com Support, under drivers and downloads

ok i got the driver reinstalled but still no sound from streaming videos but i can hear sound when i play music thats on the comp and it's a HP Pavilion 503n desktop PC

everything is updated and the strange thing is, i checked to see if the radio would work and music started playing with no problems at all but i still get no sound from sites like yahoo and youtube when i play video

not really sure, the comp i used sorta got a little to old and shorted out (i know whats wrong with it) but i tried watching a movie on his and got video but no sound at all, and he never watched anything so cant really say

how about instaling firefox as your web browser?

i fixed this kind of issue installing firefox,when done,
Internet Explorer is as well already working.

EDIT: sorry Kimsland,you got in first before i clicked post quick reply.

tired them both, prefer firefox to IE since in my opinion using IE is akin to putting your hand in a blender.

Firewall off ? Then test

Actually you could have a bug/virus (I'd even temporarily turn this off too)

Have you done a full scan (using the normal free Ad-Aware and Spybots etc)
Plus a full AntiVirus?

Another option is setting all security zones to defaut in your browser.

Actually I wonder what starts with your computer (ie spam control or something)
You can try Startup control panel for that (deselect everything on every tab - for a test) then restart and test
I'd be interested if that one worked.

Lastly you could try sfc /scannow (Start-Run) this checks all Windows files are intact (without hurting anything) Network should be out, and firewall off, also you may require your Windows CD, and it takes about an hour to do

Please try each of those (actually in order) but I do like the startup one.

i tired to turn off the firewall and got a error message saying "Due to a unidentified problem, Windows can not display Windows Firewall settings"
so a chance that might be the problem, which in turn gives me a new problem lol.
i checked and it says security center isnt even enabled

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back