No sound on laptop and all known methods fail to fix it

Hello! I am new but I find this community to be very informative and friendly so I decided to give it a go. I tried several other forums they all fail to find a solution to my problem. First off let me fill you in on what the situation is. I bought a new HDD for my laptop because the last one got corrupted and I had to change it. So I got the new one. It was completely fresh out of the shop so I went and installed windows 7 ultimate x64 and everything was great until my sound mysteriously dissappeared. I didn't panic and I went and installed some proper drivers like I always do when this happens. I got them from my laptop's brand site and it was the exact match for my sound device, so I am 100% sure my drivers are correct. And it fixed it for like 20 minutes and then it went off again. I restarted the laptop - sound got back. 20-30 minutes later boom no sound again. A restart fixed and so on and so on. Basicly a restart fixes it but it is unbearable to have to restart your laptop every 20 minutes. I tried restarting the audio service from the "services.msc" that worked too for like 20 minutes and with every next restart it worked less and less efficient when it got to the point that when I restart the service the audio dissappears again in a few seconds. So far I tried basicly anything and nothing worked. The thing that bothers me is that a restart/service restart fixes it. Why is that? That makes me think it is not a hardware problem and it is something to do with the software. Oh yeah and I considered the OS to be a corrupted install. But it's not. I tried putting on a new one and it's the same thing. And the audio ports are fine too. The default sound device is correct too and I even see the green bar going up and down when playing music but I just don't hear any sound. That's it I think but I may be leaving some other method I tried out so please tell me your opinions.

Thank you in advance and have a nice day!

P.S. System restore does not work since this started from the very first log in the OS. There is nothing I can restore back to. And even if I did it would stop 30 minutes after that so..

Last edited by a moderator:
Go into the properties for the audio service.
  • Make sure it's set to automatic startup.
  • Go to 'Recovery' tab. Set the drop-downs to 'Restart the Service'.

Go into the properties for the audio service.
  • Make sure it's set to automatic startup.
  • Go to 'Recovery' tab. Set the drop-downs to 'Restart the Service'.

Sorry for forgetting that one. It is set to automatic and it was on automatic all the time so I didn't have to change it the first time I saw it.

Guys please I tried everything I know and nothing works... if someone knows a way to fix it please help me because I can't stand having no sound.

Sorry for forgetting that one. It is set to automatic and it was on automatic all the time so I didn't have to change it the first time I saw it.
Did you ensure the recovery tab options are set as I said?

I'd also try installing some slightly different audio drivers.

And lastly, try to find in Event Viewer where the audio stops working... I'll have to get back to you on how exactly to do that

Did you ensure the recovery tab options are set as I said?

I'd also try installing some slightly different audio drivers.

And lastly, try to find in Event Viewer where the audio stops working... I'll have to get back to you on how exactly to do that

Event Viewer states nothing. It's has no entries at the moment of the sound stopping or around it.

I tried installing a few types of drivers but the problem remains. I am positive that my drivers are correct. My audio device is Conexant cx20561 and I am using the drivers from my laptop manufacturer's site. The driver's name is Conexant High Definition Audio 4.98.9.0 and it is for the same OS as mine - Windows 7 x64.

Any sound if you plug in headphones?

Yes, there is sound however windows doesn't recognize them as headphones but rather sees them as speakers and just replaces the speakers volume control with the headphones' one.

Well that's good and takes a bit of the urgency out of the situation. You've been in Control Panel, Hardware and Sounds, Sound, Manage Audio Devices There's a good chance that takes you near to a solution. With my laptop (Windows 7) if I then select Speakers and double click there are more options. The Advanced tab looks promising.

Well that's good and takes a bit of the urgency out of the situation. You've been in Control Panel, Hardware and Sounds, Sound, Manage Audio Devices There's a good chance that takes you near to a solution. With my laptop (Windows 7) if I then select Speakers and double click there are more options. The Advanced tab looks promising.

Just noticed something strange. When I put my headphones in the sound comes out from both my laptop speakers and the headphones.

Even better. I suggest you ferret around in the subdivisions of the Sound section within Control Panel. The answers likely to lie with the settings in there. It may be a default setting that is wrong. Even within this small area there's a lot of options to explore so it's probable that you have missed something.

Even better. I suggest you ferret around in the subdivisions of the Sound section within Control Panel. The answers likely to lie with the settings in there. It may be a default setting that is wrong. Even within this small area there's a lot of options to explore so it's probable that you have missed something.

I recieved 2 blue screens today. I believe it is coming out of the sound problem but I have no idea why and what has caused it. I will look around the event viewer and see what the cause for the blue screen was but I am pretty sure the audio problem caused it.

EDIT: Every cause leads to bad drivers. My drivers should be fine but let's say I got the wrong ones. How do I FOR SURE see what exact drivers I need. Is there some safe application that will figure out which drivers I need and install them or should I go through every single one of them and somehow { no idea how } see if they need updates.

Last edited:
Sorry I cannot find the edit button I think it dissappeared. This is the error from my event log for my last restart.

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000116 (0xfffffa8006d964e0, 0xfffff8800f76f530, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000002). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 071914-28782-01.

There is software to check and install drivers but I've kept well away. The laptop manufacturer's website together with your model number should be enough to find the drivers. You could try uninstalling the audio drivers and reboot so that Windows installs default drivers.

There is software to check and install drivers but I've kept well away. The laptop manufacturer's website together with your model number should be enough to find the drivers. You could try uninstalling the audio drivers and reboot so that Windows installs default drivers.

Tried that. Windows installed the new ones. Same story. The sound keeps stopping all the time. I have also installed all the drivers from my manufacturer's website and it seems to me that it's the first time I have a problem with my drivers... and that's why I have no idea why this is hapenning and how can I stop it.

I'm running out of ideas. How about running CCleaner to tidy things up and possibly help with the blue screening? Try downloading a different media player. Check System Properties, Hardware and see if there's any problem showing with your audio devices - but you've probably checked that already. Hopefully it isn't a hardware issue.

I'm running out of ideas. How about running CCleaner to tidy things up and possibly help with the blue screening? Try downloading a different media player. Check System Properties, Hardware and see if there's any problem showing with your audio devices - but you've probably checked that already. Hopefully it isn't a hardware issue.

No need for CCleaner - the harddrive is brand new. I used it for like a week or something. Media player is not a problem because all the sound stops it's not a media player problem. All the more famous methods as I said in the topic's title are checked and that includes checking all the control panel and device manager properties.

CCleaner (free) includes a registry cleaner and that will tidy up any problems from trying out different drivers. It may therefore eliminate the blue screens. Sorry that I can't solve the sound issue. I'd concentrate on looking for something missed in Control Panel until someone else makes suggestions. Best of luck with this one.

I googled and found laptops which seem to have similar problems to yours. For example, the Toshiba Satellite L755D has plenty of frustrated users. Research whether other owners of your make and model laptop are struggling with this sound issue.

Just noticed this in the first 10 seconds of my video. What does this mean and could it be connected to my audio problem -.-

tcvG9w2.png

It's worth installing something like GPU Temp to get a reading for the graphics chip on the motherboard. If that's overheating and on the way out you've got major problems. You haven't said what sort of laptop you have or how hard you have been working it.

It's worth installing something like GPU Temp to get a reading for the graphics chip on the motherboard. If that's overheating and on the way out you've got major problems. You haven't said what sort of laptop you have or how hard you have been working it.

The temperature on the laptop was really low when this occured. It occure a few times more and now I can see it almost every video no matter what the temperature of my laptop/gpu is atm.

And the drivers for it are downloaded directly from Nvidia's scan for drivers.

I’ve gone back to your initial post where you mention buying a new hard drive because the old one was “corrupted”. You’ve had ongoing problems with the laptop. “I didn't panic and I went and installed some proper drivers like I always do when this happens.” Well sound disappearing isn’t something that you’d expect to happen even once but it must have been a fairly regular occurrence. If you are an avid gamer I’d guess the laptop’s days may be numbered. You still haven’t identified the laptop or given any temperatures.

I’ve gone back to your initial post where you mention buying a new hard drive because the old one was “corrupted”. You’ve had ongoing problems with the laptop. “I didn't panic and I went and installed some proper drivers like I always do when this happens.” Well sound disappearing isn’t something that you’d expect to happen even once but it must have been a fairly regular occurrence. If you are an avid gamer I’d guess the laptop’s days may be numbered. You still haven’t identified the laptop or given any temperatures.

I gave no temperatures because my laptop doesn't overheat and that's that. I see you deducted that this sound dissappearing is a common occurance in my laptop. That's wrong. I just used those words "like I always do when this happens" because they seemed good and I now see I missed a word "something *like* this" . So what I meant was that I discovered a sound problem and thought drivers might be the cause. About being an avid gamer the games I play are far under my laptop's specs and they don't overwhelm it. And what does playing games have to do with my sound anyways..

EDIT: laptop is Packard Bell Easynote NJ65 if that makes any difference.

Last edited:
Thanks for naming it. I've had a look at reviews and it was well received as a budget 14" notebook. It must be quite old as Packard Bell were bought by Acer. When it was sold it originally had Vista installed. I wouldn't have thought Windows 7 would have any problem with your hardware as the two OS's are built on the same platform. However, reviewers do say that the NJ65 is not suitable for playing games. Interestingly in the light of your problem there was an attempt to improve audio performance with it.

"Much the same can be said of the speakers, which are good enough for the occasional online video or TV episode, but are left wanting with anything more taxing. This is where the Dolby Sound Room processing comes in, offering its Dolby Headphone technology for particularly effective virtual surround sound effects when wearing headphones."

Read more at http://www.trustedreviews.com/Packa...14in-Laptop_Laptop_review#y0EbcL153kUMfvXf.99

I didn't see anything from owners suggesting that the notebook had a problem with the audio which is good.

Back