Not sure what is wrong, PSU, Mobo or graphics card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just built my computer about three days ago and I have had troubles with it since then. First I had a stick of bad ram, easily fixed because of warranty on it. After fighting with a bad OS I have my current problem. The computer was working perfectly but I needed to format and install WinXP Pro on it. So before I had the chance to exit my game the computer shut down. I restarted it hoping everything was ok, and it seemed so. It shutdown on its own again (random screen flickering has been occuring as well before and after the ram). Now when I start it up, the fans are all on, cpu, case and gfx card fans all running. Mobo light is on as well. Now the problem...there is no power or signal to my Monitor, keyboard and mouse. At first I thought it was just the graphics card was bad from when it was shipped in, but now I'm thinking it might be the power supply? I'm not sure.

Abit K8N 939pin Mobo
AMD 64 3500+ 939
Liteon CD-RW/DVD
2gb ddr400
Sapphire x1600 128mb ddr3

When I bought my case the guy told me the PSU was 350W, now that I have it taken out of the case I noticed it says 115V/230V and 300W without PFC. I'm guessing the power supply is actually 300W? Do you think that is my problem or do you think something else is bad in the system?

It very well may be your problem. Even if it ISN'T the problem, I'd recommend replacing it. No name PSUs are a nightmare and cause hard-to-diagnose system failures (as it sounds you are learning).

Sounds like the psu is overloaded. For that system you should have at least 400w and 500 wouldn't be a bad idea. remember even good powersupplys (like Enermax)are usually only 75-80% eficent so a good 300 w psu actually puts out about 225-240w and a cheap one (generic) may put out less than 200w

Thanks guys, that's what I thought was the problem. This is the only store near me that I partially trust for buying PC parts so...would you guys mind taking a look at the PSU's on the site and telling me what one you would suggest? $80-120 would be nice.

Check the link I gave above and get back to us with how many watts it says you need.

I checked the website you linked. I'd recommend staying with either the Antec or Enermax PSUs.

It gave me a result of near 280w, but thats with me trying to maximize the potential for my computer as well (extra cards basically, or overclock slightly)

Alright. Go for at least a 350w PSU then. But personally, I'd probably go for at least 400-450w just to play it safe (future upgrades etc).

Any of the Antec or Enermax PSUs in that site you linked will work for you, just pick the watts you want, and your done.

Good luck!

Thanks a lot :D I'll get back to you guys now in a while to let you know if it fixed my problem, I'm quite short on cash at the moment so I have to wait until I get paid to buy it haha.

Well...I just bought the new PSU and it's still comming up blank. Mouse, Keyboard and Monitor are getting no power it seems. Nice 450W PSU. The mobo light is on as well by the way. Any Ideas?

Hello! Welcome Back to TechSpot!

You've ruled out the psu.
My suggestion is a bare bones setup.
cpu/heatsinkfan
1x stick of ram
videocard/monitor
psu
keyboard
un-hook all else.
Clear cmos.
This is just to get you past the post.
If this fails to boot now we've narrowed it down a bit to
cpu
ram
video
keyboard

Do you have another system to test these further?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back