Novice overclocker in need of advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Failsafe

Hi, this is my first post and I'm a novice when it comes to overclocking ....

In readiness for a new C2D rig that I intend to purchase in the new year, I thought I'd try and get to grips with overclocking on my current PC.

I have a P4 3.0E Prescott, MSI 865 NEO, 2 X 512MB 3200 Corsair Value Select RAM (dual channel), Scythe Infinity cooler, Gigabyte 6800 video card (unlocked to 16,6) and a 430watt cooler master PSU.

I'd be really grateful for some advice.

So far I have my system running stable at 3.84Ghz.
I've done this by setting a 5:4 RAM divider so that I can increase the FSB to 256 with the RAM running at 409.
I have also increased the RAM voltage to 2.9v and the CPU to 1.55v.

I can run Prime95 with no errors (well for the hour or so I ran it) and it has a load temp of 52C.

I'm not sure about memory timings yet, although I have got my head round most other aspects.
They are 2.5 4 4 8 when running at 3.84Ghz

Is this about as good as I can expect from my current rig or could I get more from it ?

Also, have I gone about things the right way?

At first I tried to overclock @ 1:1 but the PC is not stable if the RAM is higher than 410 (even with the RAM voltage increased).

To be honest, I don't really need any more from it, I just want to understand this subject a bit better.

Cheers,

Failsafe

You have done a good job so far!!:)

I would advise more case cooling if you haven't already done so already as overclocking heats more than just the processor up!!

I personally run plenty of extra fans (9 at last count) and have found it possible to squeeze a little more out of my system!!

A slot cooler close to your graphics card is a good example, but don't put one near the gpu fan as slot coolers suck air out only, i have mine on the back of my graphics card!!

I hope this info is of some use to you!!:)

[edit]

Let me know what mobo you have and i will see if i can help further!!:)

cheers for the reply.

My videocard is passively cooled ( heatpipe ) ....

http://www.bjorn3d.com/read.php?cID=719

I bought a Scythe Infinity cooler a few days ago and that is chucking out loads of air and has really helped the video card.

Idle CPU temp dropped from 40C to 26C (stock speed) and 32c @ 3.84Ghz after fitting it.
I have read that a lot of people use Arctic silver compound but I bought some OCZ Ultra 5+ as that was what was in stock in the shop at the time, is this stuff ok ?

I have no case fans fitted to this PC - The top and one of the sides are permanently removed from this PC and this room is very cool/cold ( I'd rather put on a jacket or a jumper if it gets TOO cold in here lol).
Dust is not an issue in this room either, I've only had to remove the stock HSF once in over 2 years to clean it and the dust in it was minimal (unlike some of the HSFs I've cleaned for friends that were totally clogged).

So I'm guessing the ambient temperature in the room is doing an excellent job of keeping the PC cool.

The motherboard is this .....

http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles/view.php?id=795&cid=6&pg=10

Apparently good for overclocking, but as I've said I'm a beginner !!

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back