NSA e-mail surveillance program has been under the watchful eye of the FBI for years

Shawn Knight

Staff member

fbi nsa spying surveillance justice department prism edward snowden michael e. horowitz

A declassified Justice Department report has revealed that the NSA’s controversial e-mail surveillance program has been under the watchful eye of the FBI for several years.

The 231-page report, completed and classified in September 2012 by Justice Department’s inspector general Michael E. Horowitz, was recently made public in a semi-redacted form in response to a Freedom of Information Act request by The New York Times.

The report notes that the FBI became involved in 2008, gaining the ability to review e-mail accounts that the NSA wanted to target via its Prism program in an effort to make sure none of the accounts belonged to Americans.

A year later, in October 2009, the bureau began retaining copies of communications to analyze on its own time. And in April 2012, the FBI started nominating e-mail accounts and phone numbers of foreign individuals they wanted to keep tabs on.

Horowitz concluded that the bureau had done a good job in making sure that those targeted for surveillance weren’t American citizens.

It’s worth reiterating that some parts of the report are heavily redacted. For example, there was only a single mention of the NSA’s Prism program despite the fact that the program and many of its details were ultimately declassified following leaks from former government contractor and whistleblower Edward Snowden.

Permalink to story.

And who's watching the FBI? :)

I'll take a wild guess here, but I think FBI is getting paid for watching NSA, and the payee is,...ta-da, NSA! :) Because NSA got too much dirty cash stashed into every hole they could find.

Last edited:
Basically what I'm getting out of this is, "the FBI was reading our Emails over the NSA's shoulder".......:D

I'll take a wild guess here, but I think FBI is getting paid for watching NSA, and the payee is,...ta-da, NSA! :) Because NSA got too much dirty cash stashed into every hole they could find.

So much for the different agencies keeping each other in check

Ever since we found out the NSA was overstepping their bounds we called for someone to reign them in. Now we find out they're already being watched, and we complain?

The different agencies don't team up against the American public, in fact, they have such a terrible reputation for working against each other that our president has even had to put into speeches things like 'we are working together internally and sharing information blah blah blah' You've never heard of that 'get out of my jurisdiction' thing? I'd bet the FBI thinks the NSA is unnecessary and vice versa.
The only thing the NSA and FBI probably have in common is that they hate the CIA.

So much for the different agencies keeping each other in check

Ever since we found out the NSA was overstepping their bounds we called for someone to reign them in. Now we find out they're already being watched, and we complain?

No, we found out that the FBI was already watching them and choose to do nothing about it. So the idea we've been fed that these agencies keep each other in check is complete foobar.

Do any of you guys really think that anything in your life is interesting enough for either of these agencies to give a crap about? When no one is threatening physically taking lives everyone is worried about these agencies not looking at anything anyone does - but when all hell is breaking loose and people are shooting other people in the streets everyone wants to know why these agencies dropped the ball on keeping track of those folks. Seems like all young Americans have so much self-loathing or general hatred for anything big in America - be it government or police or any established governing body. I don't understand it and I can't figure out why everyone has such short memories.

This does not make me feel more comfortablel, as I trust the Holder FBI about as much as I trust the rest of his organizations, I.e. very little.

The issue is not whether or not anyone's life is that interesting, or whether or not anyone has something to hide.

Figuring out why this is the case is your homework assignment.

Do any of you guys really think that anything in your life is interesting enough for either of these agencies to give a crap about? When no one is threatening physically taking lives everyone is worried about these agencies not looking at anything anyone does - but when all hell is breaking loose and people are shooting other people in the streets everyone wants to know why these agencies dropped the ball on keeping track of those folks. Seems like all young Americans have so much self-loathing or general hatred for anything big in America - be it government or police or any established governing body. I don't understand it and I can't figure out why everyone has such short memories.

The old "if you aren't doing anything you have nothing to worry about" argument. Complete BS, However, I want to ask you a similar question but from a different perspective. If so many Americans are doing nothing wrong, then why are we spending billions of dollars spying on them?

We are in a period where we are trillions of dollars in debt with an education system in decline and population that does not have adequate access to health care and we're worried about spying on people who aren't doing anything?

Where are all the politicians screaming "smaller government" and "decrease spending" when it comes to the NSA, FBI and CIA? Oh, wait, we're all so afraid of terrorists that we're willing to give up our rights as citizens to protect ourselves against something that will most likely never hurt you.

Last edited:
The government is here for the good the bad and the ugly. While I may not like some of my freedoms being violated it's not about me it's about the country as a whole and people should know this when they use the Internet or going out in public ... you're going to be watched welcome to the digital era. if you don't want people going through your **** then don't put it on the internet

As evidenced by events in France last week or by the Boston Marathon bombing, even being on a watch list does not mean that those planning attacks will get caught.

I have no problems with the NSA program as long as it is under the oversight of a court that grants warrants to surveil based on evidence warranting such surveillance. The FBI watching the NSA seems yet another ruse by the government to make us citizens feel as if there is true oversight of the program. Personally, what I object to is that the NSA has been surveilling at their slightest whim without court oversight. It seems to me that this is unreasonable search and seizure which is unconstitutional in the US. For the NSA, this implies the US Constitution is essentially toilet paper. What I fail to understand is why so many seem not to get that and what it means for "the rule of law" in the US.

I agree with most of what you're saying wiyosaya and the LOVEINT reference is definitely a punishable offense as it should be.

Last edited:
And Eric Holder's justice dept has been under the watchful eye of the Presidential Office. God, this makes me feel good. It's the only way I can sleep so peacefully at night.

As evidenced by events in France last week or by the Boston Marathon bombing, even being on a watch list does not mean that those planning attacks will get caught.

I have no problems with the NSA program as long as it is under the oversight of a court that grants warrants to surveil based on evidence warranting such surveillance. The FBI watching the NSA seems yet another ruse by the government to make us citizens feel as if there is true oversight of the program. Personally, what I object to is that the NSA has been surveilling at their slightest whim without court oversight. It seems to me that this is unreasonable search and seizure which is unconstitutional in the US. For the NSA, this implies the US Constitution is essentially toilet paper. What I fail to understand is why so many seem not to get that and what it means for "the rule of law" in the US.

Rule of Law under the Obama administration? LOL. They make them up on demand as they need them by way of Executive Orders. Rule of Law in the US? LOL.

Rule of Law under the Obama administration? LOL. They make them up on demand as they need them by way of Executive Orders. Rule of Law in the US? LOL.
That's funny, seeing as how the Obama administration has issued some of the lowest numbers of executive orders in the last 100 years.
http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/data/orders.php

That's funny, seeing as how the Obama administration has issued some of the lowest numbers of executive orders in the last 100 years.
http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/data/orders.php

But he makes em count. He's gone around Congress a bunch of times, almost none of it legal.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/12/25/10-ways-obama-bypassed-congress-in-2014/

And why this week of all weeks are we having this argument again? The current headlines in the news are all about how France can't keep track of all it's radical muslims, which basically means that the US won't know about them either, since we rely on France to keep us informed. These radicals all have French passports, and that's a big problem since they can enter the US anytime they want.
At least wait until the next news cycle before going off about surveillance because right now there are 12 dead people who are proving again that terrorism is alive and well.

But he makes em count. He's gone around Congress a bunch of times, almost none of it legal.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/12/25/10-ways-obama-bypassed-congress-in-2014/

And why this week of all weeks are we having this argument again? The current headlines in the news are all about how France can't keep track of all it's radical muslims, which basically means that the US won't know about them either, since we rely on France to keep us informed. These radicals all have French passports, and that's a big problem since they can enter the US anytime they want.
At least wait until the next news cycle before going off about surveillance because right now there are 12 dead people who are proving again that terrorism is alive and well.

That wouldn't have anything to do with congress refusing to cooperate. Obama has to bypass congress because congress is absolutely failing to act on anything at all. Hell, congress just insured wall streets illegal trading with tax payer money and you're worried about Obama's executive orders? And I don't think you understand what exactly an executive order is, or what it means when one is signed. They are, in the vast majority of cases, legal. Hell, executive orders are by definition legal requiring a super majority in both the house and senate to repeal. Do you have any orders you'd like to point out as illegal? Or are you just rehashing what you hear on faux?

But above all, what I took way from your post is that you would willingly give up your rights to fight terrorists that might, in the future attack us. However, what happened in France was racially motivated and really has nothing to do with Americans.

I will put this terrorism thing in perspective for you. There will be more Americans killed in car accidents this month than will be killed by terrorists in the next 10 years. Another fun fact is that Americans are 9 times more likely to be killed by a police officer in their own community than a terrorist.

Last edited:
That wouldn't have anything to do with congress refusing to cooperate. Obama has to bypass congress because congress is absolutely failing to act on anything at all. Hell, congress just insured wall streets illegal trading with tax payer money and you're worried about Obama's executive orders? And I don't think you understand what exactly an executive order is, or what it means when one is signed. They are, in the vast majority of cases, legal. Hell, executive orders are by definition legal requiring a super majority in both the house and senate to repeal. Do you have an orders you'd like to point out as illegal? Or are you just rehashing what you hear on faux?

But above all, what I took way from your post is that you would willingly give up your rights to fight terrorists that might, in the future attack us. However, what happened in France was racially motivated and really has nothing to do with Americans.

I will put this terrorism thing in perspective for you. There will be more Americans killed in car accidents this month than will be killed by terrorists in the next 10 years. Another fun fact is that Americans are 9 times more likely to be killed by a police officer in their own community than a terrorist.

I understand perfectly that what you take away from my posts is exactly what you want to take away from my posts. Evidenced by your calling Fox 'Faux' - if you don't like it you call it fake.
Here's another illegal act by Obama (from a left leaning source even)
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...w-with-guantanamo-transfer-for-bowe-bergdahl/

However, what happened in France was racially motivated and really has nothing to do with Americans.
The attack on the Charlie Hebdo newspaper was an attack on free speech. We have that in America. The attack on the grocery store (which I assume is what you're talking about) was against Jews, we have them in America too.

I don't think the NSA should be spying on us, but until I read a story about that spying ending up in court as evidence against someone, I'm going to weigh fighting terrorism as more important that my grocery list texts being on a server somewhere.
To date, the only real govt spying news story has been against a Fox news reporter. You'd think you'd be more in favor of spying considering all it's really been used for is silencing conservatives. http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/obama-admin-spied-fox-news-reporter-james-rosen-134204299.html

So here's my challenge to you... if you're really against spying, call out Obama on it, say it was wrong, and acknowledge that this Fox reporter was a victim of it.

So here's my challenge to you... if you're really against spying, call out Obama on it, say it was wrong, and acknowledge that this Fox reporter was a victim of it.
There has been millions of people state that what Obama has done is wrong. I guess the challenge is actually making progress and getting something done about your statement.

So... aren't Cubans or Canadians Americans? Or were they referring to 'muricans??

I freaking hate that distinction, they are not "America", they are United States and they should be refered like that. I'm American by definition but I'm not from the States.

Back