SpaceX sued by wife of employee who has been in a coma since workplace accident 2 years...

midian182

Staff member
In brief: Elon Musk's SpaceX is being sued by the wife of a company technician whose skull was fractured during a rocket engine malfunction in 2022. More than two years after the incident, Francisco Cabada remains in a coma.

Cabada was performing pressure testing checks on the Raptor V2 engine at SpaceX's Hawthorne, California site on January 18, 2022, when a fuel-controller assembly cover broke off. The part struck Cabada on the head, fracturing his skull.

An accident investigation summary from the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) confirms that during the incident, the final step in the pressure check operation, venting, was done for the first time using an automated program as opposed to the normal manual method that had been used in previous operations.

The report adds that the controller cover had sheared at the vertical to horizontal beveled seam, detaching the cover face from the assembly.

Cabada's wife, Ydy, filed a negligence lawsuit in a state court in Los Angeles, California, last week on behalf of her husband, writes Reuters. He remains in a coma.

Much like Musk's other big company, Tesla, SpaceX has faced accusations of making its work environment an unsafe one as its race to colonize Mars picks up pace.

A Reuters investigation that was published last year found that there had been at least 600 previously unreported injuries at SpaceX since 2014. Many of these were serious or disabling. They included crushed limbs, amputations, electrocutions, head and eye wounds, and even one death.

Many current and former employees said the injuries were often the result of under-trained and overtired staff skipping basic training as they rush to meet Musk's time demands, part of the "hardcore" work culture he promotes at his firms, including his former Twitter site, X. SpaceX workers also claimed that Musk discouraged them from wearing safety yellow because he dislikes bright colors.

The average injury rate for SpaceX's California site was 1.8 per 100 workers. Three of its facilities have a higher rate than the space industry's standard of 0.8.

Musk's demanding expectations were evident last week when he told Tesla workers they would be sleeping on the factory floor when work starts on the new $25,000 EV next year. There have been numerous reports of accidents at the Texas Gigafactory, including one engineer who suffered serious injuries when an autonomous machine at the plant sank its metal claws into his back and arm.

Permalink to story.

Its about time someone sued the King of Mars.
If the work environment is danger, I can't help but imagine how "safe" Space-X spaceships woul be for humans...
And to think that NASA is relying on them. https://www.nasa.gov/news-release/a...-picks-spacex-to-land-next-americans-on-moon/ IMO, its ironic to think that NASA is relying on SpaceX's "Starship" to get back to the Moon when "Starship" has yet to successfully fly.

IMO, NASA is taking a big gamble on this.

I have to wonder whether NASA will come to a point where they are asking Why TF did we gamble on SpaceX and Musk's big mouth.

Musk seems to be like the industrial "Barons" of the early 1900's that did not GAF about workers or worker safety. IMO, we've taken two steps forward and more than a dozen back - especially when it comes to Musk and his "my workers are my slaves" attitude.

Last edited:
Its about time someone sued the King of Mars.

And to think that NASA is relying on them. https://www.nasa.gov/news-release/a...-picks-spacex-to-land-next-americans-on-moon/ IMO, its ironic to think that NASA is relying on SpaceX's "Starship" to get back to the Moon when "Starship" has yet to successfully fly.

IMO, NASA is taking a big gamble on this.

I have to wonder whether NASA will come to a point where they are asking Why TF did we gamble on SpaceX and Musk's big mouth.

Musk seems to be like the industrial "Barons" of the early 1900's that did not GAF about workers or worker safety. IMO, we've taken two steps forward and more than a dozen back - especially when it comes to Musk and his "my workers are my slaves" attitude.
Remind me, wasnt NASA the one that had a shuttle fail due to an O-ring, one they were warned about many times by multiple people and just ignored?
If the work environment is danger, I can't help but imagine how "safe" Space-X spaceships woul be for humans...
Who ever thought rocket science was safe?

Everything has risk, driving a car, eating a meal, and yes, riding a continuous explosion into space.

Every company that psycho Musk is involved is as shonky as all hell. There's a world of difference between risk and not taking safety seriously. There is nothing defensible about SpaceX's attitude to worker safety.

Who ever thought rocket science was safe?
Everything has risk, driving a car, eating a meal, and yes, riding a continuous explosion into space.

Well that's why there's regulations in place... So your meal won't kill you, there's also labor laws and guidances and safe practices... When we are talking about someone that seems to not care how their employees are exploited, not complying to safety regulations would'nt be a surprise.

The article doesn't present enough data to form an opinion about how safe these companies are to work for. There would have to be inspections by OSHA and data to back up any safety issues.

And to think that NASA is relying on them.
NASA in its heyday was lucky to manage 3 launches per year. SpaceX is performing 3 launches per week ... on a tiny fraction of the budget NASA had. So far, NASA has killed 14 astronauts and a couple dozen workers in various fueling procedures, tests, and actual launches, not to mention hundreds of non-fatal injuries. SpaceX has a good long while before they top that record.

Back