NTLDR is missing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spider209999

so, i have a 500 gig hard drive. i got a brand new 1 tb hard drive for free from my sister. i hooked it up ran the wd diagnostic tool. it said it formatted it and the copied the old hard drive files to the new one. things were running a little weird so i was reinstalling windows and after it formatted the new hard drive it wouldnt boot from it, i get NTLDR is missing press ctrl alt delete to restart. now i had already changed the boot sequence to boot from the new hd. i can go to the boot menue and boot from it and windows finished installing on it. but yet i can only boot normally ( all the way to the login screen) if i go back and change the boot sequence back to the old hard drive, and i get a windows screen that will let me boot from either hd. weird i know but im lost and judt want it to boot from the new hd and the other as secondary storage. please hekp me mark

One of these, usually, centering on the fact that your computer is attempting to boot from a non-bootable source.
This can mean that your hard drive is not setup properly, perhaps from the copying of files that were done by the Western Digital... and that hard drive is not found correctly in the BIOS
It could mean that the NTLDR has become corrupted or the NTDetect.com file has been corrupted, again possibly by the Western Digital copy over... or it is not identified correctly in the BIOS
Else, you have created in misconfiguration with your Boot.INI file... or in some way your boot sector or master boot record has been damaged.
Upgrading from an earlier version can do this, or upgrading from FAT32 to NTFS.
Finally, but not lastly, you could have a badly corrupted version of Windows XP from the earlier work...
But it could be as simple as a defective or loose EIDE ribbon cable, or a 40 wire, 40 connector ribbon cable instead of an 80 wire, 40 connector cable, or simply...
Other possible causes can result from improperly setting up USB support, such as a keyboard or mouse, in the BIOS... or with an extra set of USB sockets on a VIA card in a PCI slot.

Your Windows has perhaps been overwritten improperly in the first eight sectors of the drive.
Reboot to your windows disk, and run a recovery (Not Recovery Set p) and you should find that it fixes it easily.
WD Diagnostics can copy over the old hard drive files to the new one, but if files are added to it, or it is writing over other files and folders, the result is an incorrect setup that confuses the BIOS.
Of course a corrupted formatting of the drive can cause it as well.

sorry, i haven't replied back. i believe it is fixed. i paid a friend of mine 25 bucks to fix it. it was not booting from the right drive. thanks for all your help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back