Nu2ThisThingCalledThreading

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillAllen55

Hello,
I have used computers for a long time now. They are terrific when they do as they are supposed to. But when push comes to shove it seems the computer always wins.........

I'm new to the 'threading thing' but after contacting MSN support and discovering how little they are interested in giving competent support I thought I would give you folks a try.

I'm trying to rid my registry of uninstalled program keys. I should say this information came from a website instructing that one can rid the registry of the uninstall keys by simply going to this area of the registry and deleting these keys. After backing up my registry I did the following:
I went to the appropriate listing Hkey_local_Machine-Software-Microsoft-Windows-Current Version-uninstall.
From there I deleted the uninstall listings. Rebooted my machine. When checking my 'Add Remove Program' llisting, It would not allow me to remove a program. There was no "Remove or change Button" For that reason I went back to the back up files of the registry and now am back to square one. After restoring the uninstall keys the add remove program works fine. But now am back to have the uninstall keys back in my registry that I spent time removing.
Can anyone help?

Registry Fix

I can do it,but i bought V-Com Fix-it.Download the demo and see if
it contains Registry Fixer.
http://www.v-com.com/virusinfo/index.php3
If you do,i'd Export the current Registry.
As far as i'm concerned i leave the Registry alone.Mine is only 143 KB's.
What do you mean by Threading ?
This post is a thread.:D

To Kimsland

I'm so new to this threading process. What I'm attempting to do is to reply to Kimsland's suggestion. I purchased some time ago Registry Mechanic which from what I can tell does an 'ok' job taking care of Registry issues. It does not however, remove uninstall keys from the uninstall folder of the registry. I tried the referenced programs that Kimsland suggested which did not remove those items either. I'm beginning to wonder how critical it is to concern myself with this earlier suggestion I received from an alternate webpage suggestion. (removing the unstall keys from the uninstall registry folder)

Regards

the uninstall registry folder and the corresponding Registry entries are what make
Add/Remove work!

yes, you can toss'm all -- but then you can never uninstall anything.

I think the real issue you are after is removing JUNK registry entries that get orphaned
by bad uninstallers -- and that's far more than there should be!

kimsland said:
They exist in Registry in here: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

You can use Tweak UI: Once installed, go to Control Panel and double click on Tweak UI then select Control Panel (from LHS, inside Tweak UI) then untick any invalid entry

Thank you for your prompt replies! I have installed the Tweak UI. I did not find the program in Control Panel. I found the program under 'All Programs'. When double clicking on the listed Program I'm not finding (LHS, inside Tweak UI) or am able to find a place to untick any invalid entries? I'm sure it's Operator Error, could you provide a suggestion as to why I'm unable to find the specific direction you have provided?
Regards.

Doh! I made a boo boo

Forget tweekui thing (that uninstalls the cpl files - which you don't want to do)

Got to Start-->Run-->regedt32 (note no "i" in regedt32)

Locate (as per my post) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

You can manually remove them from there
Here's MS link on that: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314481

Note: I'm sure there was one of my programs that did this
So I just downloaded 3 and installed them, and none of them did what I wanted (well what you wanted)
So it took a few minutes to get back to you, with my original idea!

Also jobeard's post
You should be aware BillAllen55 that doing this is not ideal, unless you have one entry you just must locate and remove.

Ok so to recap, to go to the registry to remove uninstall keys as I've learned is not advisable only if there are revolting programs that will not remove themselves from the add remove program list.

So to carry this issue to adnauseum my question is this: I have thought in the past that when uninstalling a program there are parts of the program that remain throughout the OS without being removed.
Does the average 'Regsitry Mechanic' or whatever run of the mill reginstry repair program remove these 'bandit' parts of the program the original programmer chose to leave after the program is cast away?

I've learned more this week talking with you folks, than in a long time. For that Thank you. I have other questions but will save them for next week.
Thanks for the feedback!

While purusing my msconfig I discovered in the 'win.ini folder a reference to
'lktrpliorkjhkw2' This may sound like a joke, but it is listed in the folder with subfolders listing as follows: ;msconfig pnnhgh87hjhkj15=1195923584,
second subfolder reads: ;msconfig pnnhgh87hjhkj15=1195418808

These listings referenced are two specific listings under the original folder.
Can anyone explain what this folder is for? Googling the original name of the folder resulted in terminal failure. (operator frustration).

win.ini

Thanks for your prompt reply!

I followed your directions unticking the objectionable items. - downloading the Config cleaner program. The Config clean program is very interesting - and it does not clean my win.ini folders. :)

After doing a brief reading on the subject I learned that the win.ini directives have all been put out of order by XP OS. I would like to be able to remove the folders and subfolders refrenced from the win.ini but am feeling that it may not be all that necessary as I am able to untick the remarks.

I guess my basic concern is how such an unusual folder was created and for what purpose.

Thanks again for your feedback!
Regards.

msconfig cleanup should have removed the unticked entries in win.ini in msconfig
You could click on Start->Run->Sysedit and maximize the win.ini part, and manually remove the not required entries (but this way is more critical, as you should not remove the actual required win.ini lines that Windows needs to run normally with.

To update to XP-SP3 or not......

I've dutifully updated each patch that MS has recommended for my XP OS.
NOW I read in security bogs about upgrading my OS to a Service Pack 3.

I have ran my scan on the Microsoft Update page I get no mention of needing further updates. So I am now wondering based on articles I've read, how important it is to update to SP 3? Can anyone discuss the pros and cons of updating to the SP3?

Thanks in advance for your prompt reply!

Before deciding on to update to SP3, you should run a full Antivirus and even a free spyware scan like Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

It is also advised to backup all important data (just in case) and then remove (uninstall) any resident protection programs like: Antivirus; Personal Firewall; SpybotsS&D etc

Windows SP3 is mainly beneficial if you haven't done all your Security updates
(it's basically all the security updates since SP2 was released and includes a small number of new functionalities)

You can download Windows XP Service Pack 3 Overview (just some info) H E R E
You can download the ISO (to create a Windows Xp SP3 CD) H E R E
You can download the Network Installation (directly to your Desktop) H E R E
Or you can use Windows Update (to install it directly) H E R E

Why i said NO

Windows XP SP3 contains a small number of new updates and should not significantly change the Windows XP experience.
:p

Thanks BillAllen55, I believe you are now not so new to this thing called threading
If you decide to come back with more new questions, it would be advised to create a new thread, in one of the forums here.

It is always best to use each thread for only one issue at a time, so others can use that thread for searching a fix for their similar issues too.

I believe this thread to be fully completed, in making you confident in computer technical support here at TechSpot

As the title indicated I'm new to this threading thing

I understand what you are saying. I should be asking questions with different thread topics as to the introduction question as others may wish to read the question I've placed as a thread.

It didn't occur to me that anyone else would be having similar types of questions.
I will quickly comply to your suggestion. Based on your direction I'm understanding there is no way to remove this thread compliation - is this correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back