Nvidia and AMD Price Cut Battle, Great GPUs Discontinued - GPU Pricing Update

No sale = lower prices. Good to see this after all this time. But still single digit discount.
I only afraid this situation won't turn into buyers trouble. They have more than great sales in other fields. Moreover, they could turn that death of mass market or shrinkage down to few of enthusiasts in total abandon of DIY.

And no way I'm buying >1000$ GPUs ever, I've got mine 3080Ti at 700$ brand new, it was purest luck and dubious reseller, but still...can imagine rtx 5000 being the latest gpu gen ever, or starting from 1100$ for a most primitive 5050Ti

So glad I got my 6800 in November for less then $400 ($390 - $50 = $340) with sale price just before Black Friday. It looks as though I wont be buying a new GPU in the future as the prices are still too high for me - I'm one of those who normally buys >300 cards since I don't have much need for high FPS due to not being an Competitive Gamer. So Long as I'm hitting 60fps in my games, I'm happy as that's the refresh rate of my monitor.

I reckon a survey of Techspot and HUB visitors isn't necessarily representative of the wider market.
Just look at the comment section under any article and you might notice the unusual level of sense of entitlement that's prevalent.

Any card with less than 12gb of ram is garbage

The cheapest you can find a 12GB card is the 3060 at $285. So everyone is just buying a garbage 6600 at $190 with only 8GB. Must be nice being able to toss $285+ around to barely avoid GARBAGE.

Still ridiculously overpriced; top end shouldn't be more than $700 MSRP.

So the 4070 Ti/Super, 4080/Super, 4090 and 7900 XTX shouldn't exist? And the 7900 XT should just barely have popped into existence this month? Wait, the 4070 Ti should exist now too!

If people want a better product and are willing to pay for it, why shouldn't a company give them what they want? Nvidia and AMD don't seem to be having problems selling any of these.

Last edited:
the common sense one; this nonsense went into full swint with nvidia 20 series to see how much they could rip off for marginal gains.
Common sense says if they're selling a product like hotcakes at current prices, why should they feel obligated to reduce them? And given NVidia's current margins on gaming GPUs, even if they reduced their profit margin to zero, a $700 card would only drop in price by about $80 or so. Or do you believe they should sell products at a loss, to demonstrate their loyalty to you, the gamer?

Everyone of them is still a total rip-off. Imagine paying $430US for the garbage class 4050 Ti. 7600XT shouldn't be more than $250 as it's a garbage class 7500XT in reality. This trend continues all the way up the food chain: all cards with naming changed a tier higher than they should be and priced accordingly.

Skipping this gen entirely unless I can get a second hand 7900XTX for say $750AU. I'm sure next will be worse but I only upgrade every 5-8 years and can wait for second hand next gens to become available.

Any card with less than 12gb of ram is garbage
Like Steve say " It depends"...
on the price you pay
on the games and resolution
expectations
A 256 Bit 8GB card like 3060Ti, 3070 and 3070Ti for a good price still beat the curent gen at performance per dolar.
performance-per-dollar-1920-1080.png

dollars-per-frame-1920-1080.png

Still ridiculously overpriced; top end shouldn't be more than $700 MSRP.
Why would top end video cards be the same price they were back in the 1080ti days? $750 in 2017, the year the 1080ti launched, is around $950 today. Why would graphics cards defy inflation? Especially when people have shown they would pay 50-100% more for a GPU during the previous two crypto currency crisis's.

Like Steve say " It depends"...
on the price you pay
on the games and resolution
expectations
A 256 Bit 8GB card like 3060Ti, 3070 and 3070Ti for a good price still beat the curent gen at performance per dolar.
performance-per-dollar-1920-1080.png

dollars-per-frame-1920-1080.png
Cost per frame only matters when the minimum frame rate is acceptable.

Cost per frame only matters when the minimum frame rate is acceptable.
I got an 3070 one year ago for $300, the single player games I play all are over 60fps at 1440p.
This includes 2023 titles and cyberjunk 2077.

P.S. no RT used here

Common sense says if they're selling a product like hotcakes at current prices, why should they feel obligated to reduce them? And given NVidia's current margins on gaming GPUs, even if they reduced their profit margin to zero, a $700 card would only drop in price by about $80 or so. Or do you believe they should sell products at a loss, to demonstrate their loyalty to you, the gamer?
I paid CAD750 (around $575 back then) for a 1080 card at the end of 2017. The Ti version was around 200 more. The cheapest 4080 card I can find around nowadays is CAD1420. That is 189.33% more. If that’s not greed, I don’t know what greed is.

I paid CAD750 (around $575 back then) for a 1080 card at the end of 2017. The Ti version was around 200 more. The cheapest 4080 card I can find around nowadays is CAD1420. That is 189.33% more. If that’s not greed, I don’t know what greed is.
You don't know what greed is. The 1080 has 7 billion transistors. The 4080 has 46 billion. In constant 2017 dollars per transistor, the 1080 costs 380% **more** than the 4080. My home -- which certainly doesn't have 7 times as many rooms as it did in 2017, has risen in price about 220% over the same period.

The differential is even more stark when one realizes those 1080 transistors are built on a 16nm node -- a facility that costs about one quarter as much as the 5nm foundry necessary to build a 4080. And it isn't simply the foundry costs. Design costs for a 5nm wafer are about 5 times higher than for 16nm.

You don't know what greed is. The 1080 has 7 billion transistors. The 4080 has 46 billion. In constant 2017 dollars per transistor, the 1080 costs 380% **more** than the 4080. My home -- which certainly doesn't have 7 times as many rooms as it did in 2017, has risen in price about 220% over the same period.

The differential is even more stark when one realizes those 1080 transistors are built on a 16nm node -- a facility that costs about one quarter as much as the 5nm foundry necessary to build a 4080. And it isn't simply the foundry costs. Design costs for a 5nm wafer are about 5 times higher than for 16nm.
If your process argument is to be believed please clarify why it doesn’t work for say Zen1 vs Zen4 CPUs.

I’m glad you’re bringing real estate into this argument, surely the insane spike in housing prices is really helping my argument here, not yours.

Back