1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Nvidia boss Jensen Huang calls Radeon VII "underwhelming" and "lousy"

By midian182 · 56 replies
Jan 10, 2019
Post New Reply
  1. Su showed off the Radeon VII’s power on stage with a series of benchmark tests and a 4K demo of Devil May Cry 5, which mostly ran at between 70 – 120 fps. Huang, however, was far from impressed. “The performance is lousy and there’s nothing new,” he said during a roundtable interview published by PC World.

“[There’s] no ray tracing, no AI. It’s 7nm with HBM memory that barely keeps up with a 2080. And if we turn on DLSS we’ll crush it. And if we turn on ray tracing we’ll crush it.”

Radeon VII uses 16GB of HBM2 (second-generation high bandwidth memory), whereas the RTX 2080 features 8GB of GDDR6.

Huang also noted that forty laptops with RTX 2060, 2070, and 2080 cards are on their way, and pointed out that the RTX 2080 is sold by every-in card vendor.

“It’s a weird launch, maybe they thought of it this morning,” he quipped.

Responding to Huang’s comments about Radeon VII, AMD’s Su said: “What I would say is that we’re very excited about Radeon VII, and I would probably suggest that he hasn’t seen it yet.”

Su is right in that we should wait until we see the real-world performance of Radeon VII before passing judgment. At $699, it’s cheaper than what most RTX 2080s sell for, and while Huang lauded ray tracing and DLSS, few games support these features. Moreover, Su has said AMD is working on ray tracing "both on the hardware side and the software side."

Elsewhere in the interview, Huang said consumers on a budget were right to be angry at the RTX cards’ high prices, adding that the company now catered for this market with the $350 RTX 2060, which has “twice the performance of a PlayStation 4.” He also took a dig at Intel when asked about its move into graphics.

“Intel’s graphics team is basically AMD, right?” Huang asked. “I’m trying to figure out AMD’s graphics team.”

Permalink to story.

2. Steve

Steve TechSpot Editor Posts: 2,975   +2,369

"And if we turn on ray tracing we’ll crush it.", I think he's talking about his RTX GPUs there :D

wildrage, Fabbkk, pencea and 18 others like this.
  3. Mikymjr

Mikymjr TS Booster Posts: 124   +17

Seems more like he is afraid. Welp, when AMD's new cards get released we will get the true answer

Fabbkk, pencea, Clamyboy74 and 5 others like this.
  4. dj2017

dj2017 TS Addict Posts: 141   +122

I don't know if Huang is trolling AMD because he is happy with what AMD IS and IS NOT showing, or because he is worried.

Clamyboy74 and xxLCxx like this.
  5. Nobina

Nobina TS Evangelist Posts: 1,696   +1,186

He's more impressed with 2080 Ti doing 30 FPS at 1080p with ray tracing turned on and no visible visual improvement.

Humza, Clamyboy74, wiyosaya and 9 others like this.
  6. DanUK

DanUK TS Booster Posts: 216   +11

Huang firing all the shots. <supa_hot_fire.gif>

7. Bubbajim

Bubbajim TS Evangelist Posts: 530   +522

The "it" in that sentence refers to in-game performance, right?

/s

Clamyboy74, FF222, wiyosaya and 7 others like this.
  8. CrazyDave

CrazyDave TS Enthusiast Posts: 40   +32

I believe the summary at the top of your article mentions "Ryzen VII".
    Shouldn't that be "Radeon VII"?

Had me confused for a few moments.

Manuel Diego likes this.
  9. QuantumPhysics

QuantumPhysics TS Maniac Posts: 358   +230

Don't just defeat your competition, DESTROY THEM.

If you want to crush AMD then you've got to underprice them and outperform them at every turn.

Drop the price of the 2080Ti, the 2080, the 2070 and the 2060 to just below the price of their whatever cards.

Clamyboy74, wiyosaya and psycros like this.
  10. cunoda

cunoda TS Rookie

"Underwhelming" and "lousy" are the RTX 2070 and 2060.
    Those cards have the same price and performance than existing cards. I already had an older GPU at that price and performance.

Whoever had or had not bought a card a t that price and performance in the past, will NOT buy a card a that price and performance.

Also the RTX have not enough power for raytracing to be usable.

That's "underwhelming" and "lousy".

11. stewi0001

stewi0001 TS Evangelist Posts: 2,031   +1,432

I think he was intimidated by Lisa Su's jacket.

12. Raytrace3D

Raytrace3D TS Booster Posts: 80   +73

Or probably wonder how she stole it from his closet? They're like twins. lol

13. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 11,040   +4,764

Must be worried, else he wouldn't have said anything. I've always heard "a hurt dog always yelps".

14. trparky

trparky TS Evangelist Posts: 395   +282

He's sounding desperate.

Nightfire and Odium like this.
  15. StupidPeopleSuk

StupidPeopleSuk TS Rookie

He's the head of the competition, what else is he supposed to say ???????

To me it sounds like a publicity stunt to cover up the fact that he is very concerned that they will be getting their asses handed to them in the near future if they don't get their **** together and make some cards that offer a revolutionary step forward AND that **normal** people can actually afford to buy....

psycros and trparky like this.
  16. trparky

trparky TS Evangelist Posts: 395   +282

THIS!!!

wiyosaya likes this.
  17. godrilla

godrilla TS Enthusiast Posts: 42   +8

Rumors was that it would be on par with the rtx 2070 or gtx 1080. So far the dlss seems like a gimmick. Most gamers currently aren't willing to pay for the raytracing or ai dedicated hardware at the premium charged especially at the supported titles that have it now. Rumors are that Nvidia is launching a gtx 1180 too!

Not every developer is willing to give up code to nvidia especially at the AMD camp to enhance for dlss.

18. gigantor21

gigantor21 TS Maniac Posts: 136   +190

But he ain't a rapper...

OT: Getting something with 1080ti performance for 100$ less (hopefully) with twice the memory sounds decent, but probably won't move the needle for the market. It would have to be much cheaper and/or more powerful to do that.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    Odium and DanUK like this.
  19. ShObiT

ShObiT TS Maniac Posts: 138   +151

*Mic Drops* everyone sheers!

Odium and DanUK like this.
  20. urbanman2004

urbanman2004 TS Enthusiast Posts: 28   +10

Asian nerd CEO's dissing each other is entertainment at its finest

JaredTheDragon and SalaSSin like this.
  21. Nightfire

Nightfire TS Booster Posts: 156   +98

He should be more worried about the class action law suit against his company than a little healthy competition.

wiyosaya likes this.
  22. BigMack70

BigMack70 TS Booster Posts: 35   +25

It is underwhelming and lousy. It looks like it will barely match Nvidia's 2 year old GTX 1080 Ti.

It's the exact same underwhelming and lousy that the RTX 2080 is.

23. ZackL04

ZackL04 TS Maniac Posts: 423   +215

While I agree with him, Id say the same about the current Nvidia stack outside of the new technologies it is capable of.

24. Sausagemeat

Sausagemeat TS Maniac Posts: 342   +153

He sounds arrogant not desperate! And he should do, if all AMD can muster is a 2080 competitor with no ray tracing or DLSS for the same money then they aren’t going to sell many cards.

25. meric

meric TS Addict Posts: 170   +90

I have a feeling AMD didn't show everything they have at hand. Both CPU and GPU sides.