NVIDIA denies FX chips shortage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Franco

Staff member
Despite an earlier market rumor that output of its NV30 chips may be limited, Nvidia’s total cumulative shipments of its GeForce FX series, including NV30, NV31 and NV34 chips, will reach 1.5 million units by the end of April, KB Ng, Nvidia’s marketing director for the Asia-Pacific region, stressed on March 12 at the company’s launch conference for GeForce FX products.

Nvidia’s GeForce FX family includes the GeForce FX 5800 (NV30), GeForce FX 5600 (NV31) and GeForce FX 5200 (NV34) chips, and each chip is released in two versions. Through these six products, with card prices ranging from US$399 to as low as US$79, Nvidia is hoping to cover all market segments.

Source: Digitimes.

Maybe there's no shortage, but I have 2 Best Buy's, 2 Curcuit City's and a CompUSA near my home and they haven't seen an FX5800 Ultra yet and don't know when they'll get one. Last time I looked they didn't have them listed on there web site's either.

They don't have any 9700 Pro's either, but I think they are getting ready for the 9800 Pro release and day now.

to my knowledge no one ever claimed there was a shortage of the FX SERIES cards. there was however reliable info that the 5800 Ultra would be a limited edition card.

Nvidia sidesteps that issue by saying it will ship 1.5 million of the FX SERIES which includes even NV31 and NV 34 cards which havent even shipped yet. Nvidia may no longer be the king of the graphics cards but it is still master of the B.S. PR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back