Nvidia GeForce GTX 1630 Review: An Insult to Gamers?

And it uses more power at idle than half the group in the batch! On another note, it won't cook your room.

So I would buy this card for... well, not even my evil sister. Because I wouldn't want to spend that much money on something Sh*tty on her.

They (both Amd, Nvidia) were hoping to sell tons of these garbage cards to unfortunate gamers that could not afford decent ones, because of mining. Now the tables are turning with the collapse of crypto and I sure hope they will shove these up their arses and take a big loss.

Yes, this card is not meant for the 1-2% top-tier/highest demanding AAA titles. But I'm also willing to bet it fairs well with most of the thousands of games in Steam's catalog.

As with anything, to each their own. Do your own research. If it runs the games you want to play at the desired performance level then it might be for you.

Thanks for the review.

I am curious - how does this card released during the mining / GPU price crash get the same score (20) as the 6500 XT that was released while a $300+ 1050Ti was the #2 selling card on Newegg ?

Not saying the 6500XT is a good card but it‘s twice as fast as the 1630 and can be had for $185 on Newegg right now.

There are still different degrees of bad.

Yes, this card is not meant for the 1-2% top-tier/highest demanding AAA titles. But I'm also willing to bet it fairs well with most of the thousands of games in Steam's catalog.

As with anything, to each their own. Do your own research. If it runs the games you want to play at the desired performance level then it might be for you.

But for whom would it be ? For gaming it seems worthless as spending just a little more will get you a much faster card.

For HTPC use, I have to quote the 6500 XT review as this was not covered here but applies to both cards:

The … also forgoes AV1 decode support, making it fairly ordinary for use in a modern home theater PC. AV1 content is already pretty widespread today, so retiring this graphics card into a HTPC in a few years' time won't be an option for most.

If Intel manages to release their Arc A310 and A350 cards these should be much, much better for HTPC / video transcoding tasks, the 6500 XT is more than twice as fast in gaming and supports the full DX12 feature set (not thinking about RT but instead VRS and sampler feedback) which should just widen the gap going forward.

This would be a great comment about a different card offering a very low price to match this very low performance. I'm sure there'd be a market for that.

The point of this review appears to be that this card is expected to offer only the very low performance, but not the very low price; and that there's likely to be much better options at the same cost or not that much more.

If true, the only "each" left who should pick this card as "their own" would be those who find all shelves empty of all other choices.

It's a bad value but some people simply want to run 3 monitors or play videos on older desktops with integrated graphics. It would in fact be a scam if it's marketed as a gaming GPU.

Don't worry, Nvidia is hoping people will use FSR 2.0 to make the card look better :)

Low-end GPU don't even benefit from FSR2.0 that much

In Deathloop, GTX 1650 Super get only 15% boost when going from native 1080p to FSR2.0 quality mode.
https://static.techspot.com/articles-info/2464/bench/20-p_1100.webp

RX570 get only 14% boost when using quality mode, and only 26% when using performance mode (performance mode looks bad specially at 1080p)
https://static.techspot.com/articles-info/2464/bench/14-p_1100.webp

Performance boost on GTX 1630 when using FSR2.0 will be small anyway. It won't be useful that much

It's a bad value but some people simply want to run 3 monitors or play videos on older desktops with integrated graphics. It would in fact be a scam if it's marketed as a gaming GPU.
I love when people make up excuses for a terrible product by inventing an audience that doesn't exist in reality. "Oh but this card is for people who can't buy used products because they live at the top of a mountain away from society and their grandmother recently passed away so they spent money on her funeral and they play only old games on quintuple monitor setup and they can't play on iGPU and they have to buy something right now in a hurry so they only have this one option. Nvidia is so smart to target all of these 3 people".

I thought RX 6500 XT was bad, and it is, but damn.

Honestly this card has no reason to exist, 6400 and 6500 XT have a possible niche to fill. Both cards being relatively "okay" at New MSRP-like market price to compared to Nvidia's counterparts which was shown in the article.

The 6400 probably the best low profile GPU (at least one that has current hardware), and the 6500 XT a "decent" (I'd have to stretch it Abit) proper entry card, you wouldn't complain too much, because honestly inflation and higher material costs has killed the sub $~100 card.

And most wouldn't complain if they got it in a prebuilt. (Especially a gaming kid or tech inept family member) Or found it at RX 6400 prices, or below. (Which might happen but only once the next gen comes out, and/or crypto is forced out of computing, but the latter is extremely unlikely)

The only reason to purchase this card is for those that want to say hey I have an Nvidia card in my computer on the cheap. Otherwise, this is Nvidia giving all gamers the middle finger.

Is it a lousy card? Yeah. Is it really an insult to gamers? Not really, it's more an insult to entry level gamers buying OEM garbage systems. Anyone serious about gaming knows to avoid these entry level cards. They're not meant for us, but OEMs so they can state their system comes with a genuine Nvidia graphics card. And both AMD and Nvidia have been pulling that **** for years, this is just one of the most egregious examples is all.

This is a huge market - not every one can afford even mid range PC .
A young person saving from odd jobs,
A parent struggling - wanting so desperately to buy their teen a PC .

Add in loyalty - look after your first customers - a starters package?

I think we all know local stores that treated us well when we had less money.
I remember a HiFi shop in my city when I first rocked up - the owner went out and looked at my car - decided I was not up to scratch - them saw him while in store fawning over someone else obsequiously. Never been back - even though they can have good prices

RX 570 $130 MSRP
RTX 1650 super $160 MSRP - better option than std at $150

These are 2019 pre-covid prices
I would be well happy with either - maybe try for 1660 super with discount when putting PC together

AMD , Nvidia - take some pride in helping the low end - plenty of fat profit at high end,

Plus keep PC alive you short sighted ..... - vs Phones vs Consoles - ie protect your future consumer base - Most of us will buy 2 of 3 anyway

What was the best starter GPU evah? - a harder google search as it defaults to 2022

Back