Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 Review: Next-Gen GPU Monster

When compared to the 3090 and even the 3090 Ti the 4090 is quite the deal, if you can actually get one at $1599. Expect that price to go up significantly before it comes back down. Yes, it is definitely a worthy flagship card. The 4K benches here are amazing.

That being said, the next card in the lineup has 41% fewer cores. So, I'm definitely not expecting the 4080 16 GB to be anything like the 4090, you can probably shave 40% off the performance across the board, but only 25% off the price. That's the rub, not the price of the 4090, but the pricing of the 4080s. Even if you are just linearly scaling the pricing, the 4080 16GB should have been $960. Never mind the fact that traditionally you got better price to performance as you went down the GPU lineup. This inverted price to performance will guarantee that you won't be able to get the 4090 at $1600 long. Unless of course, no one buys them or the 4080 16GB because the price is just too high, that is a possibility too.

Also, does anyone know the going rate on a perfectly good kidney?

Last edited:
Thanks for the very nice review.

While this card is not for me - it‘s a 4k card - I am quite positively impressed, particularly by its power consumption. Raster performance - while not in the area hinted at by leakers and nVidia themselves - is also nice with +71% at 4K over a 3090.

There is one thing I am very curious about: Is the 4090 potentially CPU limited at 4K ? Before the CPU really didn‘t matter that much at this resolution but I‘d love to see a CPU scaling review for this gen at 4K and 1440p.

Is this planned Steve ?

Last edited:
Nice to see the numbers but too bad they go for the top price and top performance card right away whereas some years ago it was the more affordable xx80 xx70 cards being launched at the start instead of arriving months later.

I'm disappointed, with these results. Completely...

...because IT IS jawdropping, excellent perfomance and efficiency, 4K60 and so on, now it is completely justified for first adopter, e-peen retards and nolifers to pay 2000$ for this piece of tech - sum that is too far to reach or fathom for those of us who has more dire needs and can't spare that for a single GPU.

I'm disappointed, with these results. Completely...

...because IT IS jawdropping, excellent perfomance and efficiency, 4K60 and so on, now it is completely justified for first adopter, e-peen retards and nolifers to pay 2000$ for this piece of tech - sum that is too far to reach or fathom for those of us who has more dire needs and can't spare that for a single GPU.
I'm happy to report that you can game at 1080p and still live a full and rewarding life. :)

The performance and efficiency of the 4090 blows away my expectations. But for me I enjoy the reviews of it like I enjoyed reading about Porsche v Ferrari supercar matchups when I was a kid.

Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 Review
Next-Gen GPU Monster

I truly and sincerely hope that the title for the upcoming reviews of RDNA3 are as good and positive as this one, but I know better and some salt or pinch of negativity will be added, as usual.

That said, impressive numbers at 4k, but as I mentioned before, I feel that we need at least another generation of hardware to properly support RT at 4K@120FPS, especially for midrange GPUs, because these top of the line GPUs are priced beyond insane levels.

The review from der8auer is super interesting. He takes a closer look at performance at lower power limits. From his data, it looks like you could make a 300w card with a normal 300w cooler and 2 regular power connectors and still get awesome performance. No need for all this fancy stuff. Would be interesting to know how much money could be saved that way. Those coolers can’t be cheap and it looks like the 4090 is already well into the territory of diminishing returns at 450w, so those even more expensive top of the line AIB models that I assume will allow the full 600w probably won’t gain much from it.

Thank you for the review Steve and again for objectivity.
Regardless, to get this perfomance the compromise is too high in detriment of the power consumption considering that Nvidia moved to TSMC's 4N process.
However if RDNA3 will have comparable power consumption which may seems to be, than I do not like this direction of inneficiency. You cannot scale it too much.
But those who have the money, passion and enthuziasm for best video card can really enjoy 4090 for 4K-144Hz.

The review from der8auer is super interesting. He takes a closer look at performance at lower power limits. From his data, it looks like you could make a 300w card with a normal 300w cooler and 2 regular power connectors and still get awesome performance. No need for all this fancy stuff. Would be interesting to know how much money could be saved that way. Those coolers can’t be cheap and it looks like the 4090 is already well into the territory of diminishing returns at 450w, so those even more expensive top of the line AIB models that I assume will allow the full 600w probably won’t gain much from it.
300W Ada = 4080 16 GB

We saw this with Ampere - limiting the power of a faster card to that of a slower card (I.e. 3080 vs 3070) gave the same performance.

Nvidia could dodge a lot of criticism by just calling the XX90 cards Titans again. $1600 for a Titan card is not historically out of line. $1200 for an XX80 card is, though. Way out of line.

So, is the next AMD card gonna skunk this? Isn't the rumor of over 100 TF? I hope so! But then jen will just drop his $2500, 48GB RAM, 4090 Ti

I'm surprised California, Europe and the environmentalist nuts (many of who write for techspot obviously given all the constant EV promoting) havent banned these massive power hog GPU's yet. Just goes to show Nvidia's power, you know if it was any other company any GPU over like 100 watts would have been banned by now. That's environmentalism for you, it makes you poor and keeps society from advancing intrinsically. The same environmental nuts who write for Techspot wont say a peep about the massive amount of energy these GPU's use, nor advocate for banning them as they should if they were not hypocrites, simply because they are from Nvidia.

Also card size, I had a RX 480 stashed in my closet recently, still a viable card today, I pulled it out to run Destiny, it's like the size of a soundcard. Go google pics of a 4200 TI or something, and marvel. Maybe 1/20th the size of this?

Also I'm jaded and old, dont care about any of this. Theres no fun games anyway. Who cares about any of these same 3 tired PC games they benchmark over and over. Noone plays these. They run at all over 200 FPS on this card. On a forum recently they asked what games are you running with your high end PC GPU? It was mostly crickets. Cyberpunk was the only consistent answer I guess, and thats what 2 years old. There's no PC games let alone any fun ones.

You must live in Europe LOL. Noone cares about electricity cost for a PC in USA, granted even here prices have skyrocketed.

It's interesting the actual real cost of electricity/energy is very very, VERY cheap, just environmental regulations and taxes make it otherwise. No long ago I was paying 7c Kwh, and thats heavily heavily increased by coal bans, environmental regulations, massive taxation etc. In a free market the price of electricity would be 1 or 2c a kwh probably. In EU it's 15-30 times that. 1500-3000% inefficiency caused by leftists, environmentalists and the govt, making us all poor every day.

Truly impressive performance - and better than most of the rumours / 'leaks'.

I can't imagine the market for such an expensive card is high given the price and impending recession in many countries - however, I fully expect it to sell out at launch as those who need to be on the 'bleeding edge' will pay anything.

I'm more concerned with the performance of the lower tier products - given the specifications announced to date for the 4080 16Gb and 4080 12Gb (really should be called a 4070), there's is going to be a huge decrease in performance

Faster and slightly more power efficient than expected. It's too expensive, to be sure, but annoyingly, this performance gap makes everything in the Ampere/RDNA2 $800+ segments look like very poor value (which they are). I would have serious buyers remorse if I'd have picked up a $1000 3090TI in the last couple months.

You must live in Europe LOL. Noone cares about electricity cost for a PC in USA, granted even here prices have skyrocketed.

It's interesting the actual real cost of electricity/energy is very very, VERY cheap, just environmental regulations and taxes make it otherwise. No long ago I was paying 7c Kwh, and thats heavily heavily increased by coal bans, environmental regulations, massive taxation etc. In a free market the price of electricity would be 1 or 2c a kwh probably. In EU it's 15-30 times that. 1500-3000% inefficiency caused by leftists, environmentalists and the govt, making us all poor every day.

In a free market we'd happy turn the planet into Venus, but hey, USA! Yee Haar!

Faster and slightly more power efficient than expected. It's too expensive, to be sure, but annoyingly, this performance gap makes everything in the Ampere/RDNA2 $800+ segments look like very poor value (which they are). I would have serious buyers remorse if I'd have picked up a $1000 3090TI in the last couple months.
The 3080 10GB is still the best buy from RTX 30. Back to selling at MSRP, roughly 1/2 the performance of the 4090 and only 44% of the cost. I was lucky enough to pick up a 3080 10GB at MSRP in November 2020. The 4080 16GB is going to be the worse deal imaginable, and the 12 GB won't be much better. At $1200 it will be 40% less powerful, but only 25% less cost than the 4090, and < 60% faster than the 3080, but 71% price increase. The 3080 is a two-year-old GPU and it will probably be equivalent to a 4070 or 4060 Ti, but at the current pricing, those GPUs would likely be $700 and $600 respectively. Nvidia must really consider the 3080 10GB pricing to have been a mistake.

Last edited:
So, is the next AMD card gonna skunk this? Isn't the rumor of over 100 TF? I hope so! But then jen will just drop his $2500, 48GB RAM, 4090 Ti

I'm surprised California, Europe and the environmentalist nuts (many of who write for techspot obviously given all the constant EV promoting) havent banned these massive power hog GPU's yet. Just goes to show Nvidia's power, you know if it was any other company any GPU over like 100 watts would have been banned by now. That's environmentalism for you, it makes you poor and keeps society from advancing intrinsically. The same environmental nuts who write for Techspot wont say a peep about the massive amount of energy these GPU's use, nor advocate for banning them as they should if they were not hypocrites, simply because they are from Nvidia.
Enviromentalists LOVE wasting electricity, look how much power an EV car takes to travel just a single mile, or how much chinese made garbage they consooom. Oil bad, magic electricity good.

The reason techspot whines about power usage is likely the same reason the rest of us do: excessive heat production is a royal PITA if you dont live in the arctic circle. (and techspot being run by environmental nuts? Huh? What on earth are you talking about, have you ever MET an ecomentalist?)

Also card size, I had a RX 480 stashed in my closet recently, still a viable card today, I pulled it out to run Destiny, it's like the size of a soundcard. Go google pics of a 4200 TI or something, and marvel. Maybe 1/20th the size of this?
And such cards have not gone away. Look how small 3060s are. The 4200ti wasnt even the high end, that belonged to the 4600/4800, which were substantially longer, that was the era of IBM sized cards (and very loud annoying fans).

Also I'm jaded and old, dont care about any of this. Theres no fun games anyway. Who cares about any of these same 3 tired PC games they benchmark over and over. Noone plays these. They run at all over 200 FPS on this card. On a forum recently they asked what games are you running with your high end PC GPU? It was mostly crickets. Cyberpunk was the only consistent answer I guess, and thats what 2 years old. There's no PC games let alone any fun ones.
There's plenty of good games on PC from previous generations. From the current gen, Instruments of Destruction has been amazingly addictive. Enlisted has scratched that multiplayer itch, Destroy all humans 2 looks to be quite fun, We got Spiderman on PC this year too.

Gaming has always been full of detritus and greedy humans. There's still good games out there, and they're still fun to play. Just ignore the AAA trash.
In a free market we'd happy turn the planet into Venus, but hey, USA! Yee Haar!
In a free market we'd be free to pursue nuclear power instead of using natural gas. But hey, atoms bad, better to spend hundreds of millions on solar panels and legislate homeowners not being able to charge their new cars during the day.

Europe just made their entire grid reliant on fossil fuels from their neighbor and claimed it was "green", and were utterly SHOCKED to find out that this was a bad idea.

If only somebody had told them that....but hey, at least there are no more mean tweets, right?

Back