Nvidia has reportedly canceled its 20GB RTX 3080 and 16GB RTX 3070

Polycount

Staff
In context: While some were disappointed by the VRAM capacity of Nvidia's latest RTX 30-series GPUs, particularly the 3080 and 3070, all hope was not lost. Leaks suggested the hardware maker would be planning to release higher-capacity models, such as a 20GB 3080, to satisfy those with greater VRAM needs.

Unfortunately, if you're one of those people, we might have some bad news for you today. According to a new report by Videocardz, Nvidia is sending out memos to its board partners, informing them that it will not be producing RTX 3080 20GB or RTX 3070 16GB cards as initially planned.

Assuming these rumors are true, it's unclear why Nvidia has made this decision. More VRAM across Nvidia's line-up could have helped it gain an extra edge against AMD's upcoming products and more choice is always good for consumers -- even within the same brand.

Nvidia's rumored RTX 3070 Ti, which would have had 16GB of RAM and 6144 CUDA cores, has also allegedly been canceled. It remains to be seen whether or not Nvidia will change its mind after seeing what AMD is cooking up, but it's probably not very likely.

This news might come as a disappointment to some of our readers, but it's worth pointing out that these cards' very existence was never confirmed in the first place, so nothing was really lost in the end.

Permalink to story.

"...but it's worth pointing out that these cards' very existence was never confirmed in the first place..."

You could say that's the truth for all RTX 3090/3080 cards considering no one other than a handful of tech websites have even seen - or can get one.

It's just all this wait made me think I should wait for the 4000 series and Rocket Lake xD

4000 series will be the sweet spot for 4K gaming Aww xD

Memory is CHEAP! Most of us are more than willing to pay an extra $50 to have more memory. This is especially true when you're spending over $600 on a video card, it's a tiny percentage of the overall cost.

"...but it's worth pointing out that these cards' very existence was never confirmed in the first place..."

You could say that's the truth for all RTX 3090/3080 cards considering no one other than a handful of tech websites have even seen - or can get one.
I've gotten 8 all without using anything more than following a discord for stock notifications and some other smart choices like getting a evga 1660 the week before the 3090 launched to jump on the top of their step up program the moment they launched it.

Now myself and 7 of my closest friends and a couple family members all have the cards we wanted.

It takes some work and thinking outside the box sure but it ain't impossible I bought 3 of them from discord notifications going off in the middle of the night and having walked through the checkout process so much and has it mapped out that I could almost do it in my sleep.

Maybe instead of everyone crying about their failure they figure out the best strategy to get one for themselves.

You don't have to be a hacker or botter or scalper or miner I've never done any of those things I've just been around for over 10 years of day 1 launches on these cards.

The bots did screw up my plans at the begging of day 1 but by 14 hours later I secured a card on launch day. And from there I just started planning to always be ready. I even bought one while driving through Amazon 1 click checkout (I was at a stop sign).

I didn't pay a penny more than they cost nor did I ask for any of my friends to pay anything but the cost and shipping to them. Though a few definitely through in an extra couple bucks for my hard work and time (others have promised me dinner when they come back in town). I don't really care either way I'm just happy to be helping so many of my people.

It's just all this wait made me think I should wait for the 4000 series and Rocket Lake xD

4000 series will be the sweet spot for 4K gaming Aww xD
I'll continue to use my process I've used since 2012 and upgrade to the best there is the moment it exists (while selling the old best right before its replacement comes to market).

I've been able to have the best gaming pc you could ask for (including sli from 2012 - 2017) meanwhile my out of pocket costs have only been about $300 a year.

Now with a 3090 and a 10900k which I spent a total of $575 out of pocket for this year.

I get that that's more than the $300 per year I spoke of before but again that's why I said on average there are other years like last year (2019) where I didn't buy anything.

It all averages out currently if I don't have to upgrade for 1 year my averages are at $330 and if I get 2 years it's $290.

I've gotten 8 all without using anything more than following a discord for stock notifications and some other smart choices like getting a evga 1660 the week before the 3090 launched to jump on the top of their step up program the moment they launched it.

Now myself and 7 of my closest friends and a couple family members all have the cards we wanted.

It takes some work and thinking outside the box sure but it ain't impossible I bought 3 of them from discord notifications going off in the middle of the night and having walked through the checkout process so much and has it mapped out that I could almost do it in my sleep.

Maybe instead of everyone crying about their failure they figure out the best strategy to get one for themselves.

You don't have to be a hacker or botter or scalper or miner I've never done any of those things I've just been around for over 10 years of day 1 launches on these cards.

The bots did screw up my plans at the begging of day 1 but by 14 hours later I secured a card on launch day. And from there I just started planning to always be ready. I even bought one while driving through Amazon 1 click checkout (I was at a stop sign).

I didn't pay a penny more than they cost nor did I ask for any of my friends to pay anything but the cost and shipping to them. Though a few definitely through in an extra couple bucks for my hard work and time (others have promised me dinner when they come back in town). I don't really care either way I'm just happy to be helping so many of my people.

* Says it ain't hard to get 30xx series cards

* proceeds to detail bank heist level of steps taken to get a card

Yields yields yields? Guessing they're not getting anywhere near the numbers they need for the base card offerings which will remain in short supply through the holiday season. That and there is likely little headroom little to no headroom for higher OC's on more expensive offerings.

7 friends plus some family members all interested in buying an overpriced top-end gaming card at launch?

Cool story bro.

.....and some other smart choices like getting a evga 1660 the week before the 3090 launched to jump on the top of their step up program the moment they launched it.

It takes some work and thinking outside the box sure but it ain't impossible
Ok, so you did all this to buy a product at regular price ? Reminds me of Indiana Jones‘ quest to find the Ark of the Covenant.

I am curious: what did you do with the 1660 ?

Memory is CHEAP! Most of us are more than willing to pay an extra $50 to have more memory. This is especially true when you're spending over $600 on a video card, it's a tiny percentage of the overall cost.
It's not when there's only one manufacturing source for it, and out of the two listed products currently being made, the less capable dies end up in the 3080 and the better ones in the 3090. Given that there is a shortage of both cards at the moment, demand is going to be rather high for both of them. Any AIB vendors hoping to double up their DRAM orders for a 20 GB 3080 model aren't going to find a wealth of parts on the shelves for them.

I remember the time when it was cool to offer the very low end video cards with more memory than middle end. I guess it worked, at least for people who dont know a thing about hardware. "Hey look, this is the cheapest video card, and yet it has plenty of memory to play all the games I want to."
I assume people who really want more memory are those who use it for work and memory hungry processes. The rest? I doubt it.

I wonder what are the advantages of having more memory than what's already available in these 3xxx cards for current gamers. Can current games make use of more than what's currently available?

"Future-proofing" usually is a bad idea, since it requires higher capital investment, and when later games come out that will need the unused features, newer cards by then, will be able to deliver even more at lower prices, because, by then, the tech will have become more accessible.

Only the 3090 is geared for working environment. I wonder if it's replacing the Quadro cards too? Who actually need the 3090 that can make use of the extra features?

I wouldn't say 3090 is a wise choice for gamers though, since the 3080 does everything for much, much less. It trounces 3090 real deep when it comes to the value.

Someone bragged above about getting 8 of the 3080s. For what reason? Care to give us the pic shoot? Hard to gauge the truth about anything in social media nowadays.

I would't call wasteful, obsessive and mindless purchasing, a good trait of a wise earner who had worked worked hard for the money.

I wonder what are the advantages of having more memory than what's already available in these 3xxx cards for current gamers. Can current games make use of more than what's currently available?
Nope, members on here will tell you that modern games eat 8GB for breakfast but it's rubbish, you'll find modern games eat 5-6GB at most at 4k. The memory they observed being eaten on their machines is to do with shader caching, if the entire VRAM was maxed out you get massive fps drops and major frame pacing issues.

Any AIB vendors hoping to double up their DRAM orders for a 20 GB 3080 model aren't going to find a wealth of parts on the shelves for them.
Do you happen to know if NVidia's board partners are contractually barred from offering higher-ram models?

Nothing was confirmed or canceled and anything might happen.

A whole set of TI or Super cards will be released only if AMD beats any of their cards in their respected price segment.

Do you happen to know if NVidia's board partners are contractually barred from offering higher-ram models?
Don't know for certain, but I doubt they are, as Nvidia only makes money from selling trays of GPUs to AIB vendors. They don't make money off the card sales themselves, thus vendors are free to make whatever versions they like - this is why one often sees the occasional oddity for crypto mining or SFF models.

There may well be a general agreement to not do so until there are more 30 series models available, but the biggest issue is just the availability of GDDR6X modules. Nvidia has definitely taken a gamble on developing a RAM technology exclusively with Micron. JEDEC may never standardise the RAM, which would put other vendors off manufacturing it - but there again, given the popularity of the 30s, I should imagine other suppliers will want a slice of that market.

Ok, so you did all this to buy a product at regular price ? Reminds me of Indiana Jones‘ quest to find the Ark of the Covenant.

I am curious: what did you do with the 1660 ?
I sent it back to evga and they sent me a 3090 ftw3 ultra (oh and I had to send the 1700 bucks along with it) lol

* Says it ain't hard to get 30xx series cards

* proceeds to detail bank heist level of steps taken to get a card
Lol I know it's a bit excessive but that was to get 8 cards not 1 thr first card I basically got day 1 even after the cray bot waves by just checking out fast and paying attention.

I never said it's as easy as buying a things that's fully stocked and available everyday. But it ain't like trying to win the lottery. A little hard work can easily pay off. (and a lot of it can pay off 8x)

You don't have friends or family who game? I'm sorry your life as a gamer must get pretty boring.

I think very few people in this world have so many friends and family who are all part of some hardcore PC master race enthusiast gaming club like your story.

On the slim chance you're not bshitting or stretching reality, you definitely should film a documentary about this. In fact, it could even be material for one of those reality show tv series...

Last edited:
Back