Nvidia or amd which is better now for gaming?

Trying to find the best card for gaming pc. but struggle to find rtx 3070. is it worth it or better get amd card? and which is same performance?

RobertEmma

I prefer nvidia over AMD, Nvidia has much better drivers and control panel. More AMD get hot and have heating issues some time. Also Nvidia gives ray tracing support.

Tyrchlis

6 one way, half a dozen the other. AMD and Nvidia are essentially equal now with both having some strengths over the other, but in the end washing out.

AMD has the advantages of slightly faster rasterization and more vram in the upper range (6800XT versus 3080). AMD Radeon 6000 cards tend to be a bit more power efficient than Nvidia cards.

Nvidia has the advantages of faster ray tracing, DLSS, and faster vram (GDDR6X versus GDDR6). Nvidia 3000 series Geforce cards support more next gen features in more gaming titles and will for the next year or so at least.

Software wise, both are essentially equal now, though both have features exclusive to their own control panels that is really user dependent which are better. The end result is you cannot go wrong either way.

Personally, I prefer the Nvidia route this time for the faster ray tracing and DLSS support. The ray tracing part was particularly important to me this upgrade cycle. RTX 3090 was my choice.

HardReset

I prefer nvidia over AMD, Nvidia has much better drivers and control panel. More AMD get hot and have heating issues some time. Also Nvidia gives ray tracing support.
Welcome to year 2021. Nvidia 3000-series cards are much hotter than AMD's 6000-series cards 🤦‍♂️

Power consumption comparison there https://www.techspot.com/review/2216-amd-radeon-6700-xt/

6 one way, half a dozen the other. AMD and Nvidia are essentially equal now with both having some strengths over the other, but in the end washing out.

AMD has the advantages of slightly faster rasterization and more vram in the upper range (6800XT versus 3080). AMD Radeon 6000 cards tend to be a bit more power efficient than Nvidia cards.

Nvidia has the advantages of faster ray tracing, DLSS, and faster vram (GDDR6X versus GDDR6). Nvidia 3000 series Geforce cards support more next gen features in more gaming titles and will for the next year or so at least.

Software wise, both are essentially equal now, though both have features exclusive to their own control panels that is really user dependent which are better. The end result is you cannot go wrong either way.

Personally, I prefer the Nvidia route this time for the faster ray tracing and DLSS support. The ray tracing part was particularly important to me this upgrade cycle. RTX 3090 was my choice.
Quite good comparison, but: there is not yet proof that Nvidia has faster ray tracing support. There are just few ray tracing supported games and most of those are Nvidia optimized. Future may be very different.

Tyrchlis

Welcome to year 2021. Nvidia 3000-series cards are much hotter than AMD's 6000-series cards 🤦‍♂️

Power consumption comparison there https://www.techspot.com/review/2216-amd-radeon-6700-xt/

Quite good comparison, but: there is not yet proof that Nvidia has faster ray tracing support. There are just few ray tracing supported games and most of those are Nvidia optimized. Future may be very different.
Bullshit, out of 10 ray tracing games, it is solidly shown AMD leads 1 or 2. That is clear. If you have problems assimilating reality, that is fanboyism and not my problem. I love both companies and both products, but clearly you lean one way. That's YOUR problem, not mine. AMD is faster at rasterization, Nvidia PROVEN faster at ray tracing. I'm not bothering proving anything to you, your wording told me all I need to know.

Next gen I might lean AMD. Next gen, no matter what they make, you WILL buy AMD. We won't see eye to eye. I believe you are incapable of giving victories to your non-preferred company. Your very wording showed that clearly when SO many sites have shown without doubt that ray tracing plus DLSS wins over ray tracing without DLSS. Every. Single. Time.

I sat here and admitted AMD's leading points rightfully, but you try to take away Nvidia's fair leading points. We cannot come to middle ground when FACTS and every major web site out there back my position and you are unable to give victories where they are fairly won.

Tyrchlis

Also, bullshit to the AMD cards always running cooler. At stock my 3090 idles at room temperature or 1C higher, while full load never sees over 61C, almost EXACTLY the same as every 6900XT review out there.... Don't bullshit me, I own the bloody hardware itself and have it in hand.

And my 3090 isn't even the best cooled out there, the cooling is inferior to the Founders Edition physically and still matches it temp for temp. 3090 at stock is a very well controlled chip and not stupidly hot. If there is a 1-2C difference between my 3090 and 6900XT, it can fall either way which one is leading cooler.

Finally, I stand firmly on my assertion, the advantages each card holds over the other are definite, but not overwhelming. AMD's rasterization advantage is small, Nvidia's ray tracing advantage is small.... DLSS support in most of the games I play is NOT SMALL!!!!!!!

Since the vast majority of ray tracing games also use DLSS 2.0 or 2.1 now, there is no question which card is better for me... The one that promises ray tracing ALWAYS USABLE, unlike 6900XT that sucks at ray tracing in Cyberpunk, the FIRST ray tracing game of consideration to me and the entire reason I even upgraded GPU at all this round.

If somebody plays a bunch of competitive online stuff, AMD is the better choice overall right now. DLSS and ray tracing are meaningless to those gamers. To those like me who want the latest rendering features NOW, Nvidia is the clear choice. Nvidia, even with Reflex, is not the best competitive choice. AMD, even with Fidelity FX falls far short of the beauty of Cyberpunk with an RTX 3090 or 3080 in hand. These are facts.

Last edited:

HardReset

Bullshit, out of 10 ray tracing games, it is solidly shown AMD leads 1 or 2. That is clear. If you have problems assimilating reality, that is fanboyism and not my problem. I love both companies and both products, but clearly you lean one way. That's YOUR problem, not mine. AMD is faster at rasterization, Nvidia PROVEN faster at ray tracing. I'm not bothering proving anything to you, your wording told me all I need to know.
10 games!!! Add two zeros and come back then. You do realize that on article linked above Techspot tested with just 14 games and that is not much. Still it's more than 10 (RT games). To proof something you'll need much more games.

Because out of those 10 games around 8 are Nvidia optimized, there is no proof that Nvidia is faster on RT. Also there is no definite proof that AMD is faster for rasterization, because just like with RT, Infinity Cache may or may not make big difference. One way or another.

Next gen I might lean AMD. Next gen, no matter what they make, you WILL buy AMD. We won't see eye to eye. I believe you are incapable of giving victories to your non-preferred company. Your very wording showed that clearly when SO many sites have shown without doubt that ray tracing plus DLSS wins over ray tracing without DLSS. Every. Single. Time.

I sat here and admitted AMD's leading points rightfully, but you try to take away Nvidia's fair leading points. We cannot come to middle ground when FACTS and every major web site out there back my position and you are unable to give victories where they are fairly won.
DLSS lowers image quality that is essentially same as cheating. You can find countless examples of this. Quite strange that cheating with image quality suddenly is acceptable when it comes to DLSS 🤔 DLSS vs native is like comparing 1080p vs 4K.

Facts? Few Nvidia optimized RT titles = Nvidia is faster on RT? Good luck with that.

Also, bullshit to the AMD cards always running cooler. At stock my 3090 idles at room temperature or 1C higher, while full load never sees over 61C, almost EXACTLY the same as every 6900XT review out there.... Don't bullshit me, I own the bloody hardware itself and have it in hand.

And my 3090 isn't even the best cooled out there, the cooling is inferior to the Founders Edition physically and still matches it temp for temp. 3090 at stock is a very well controlled chip and not stupidly hot. If there is a 1-2C difference between my 3090 and 6900XT, it can fall either way which one is leading cooler.
First, comparing temperatures between AMD and Nvidia cards is not valid, especially when those temperatures are software based. Secondly, of course cooling solution matters. 10W GPU could run hotter than 200W GPU if 10W GPU has poor enough cooling.

But, since AMD consumes so much less energy, we can fairly say AMD runs cooler with "same level" of cooling.

Finally, I stand firmly on my assertion, the advantages each card holds over the other are definite, but not overwhelming. AMD's rasterization advantage is small, Nvidia's ray tracing advantage is small.... DLSS support in most of the games I play is NOT SMALL!!!!!!!

Since the vast majority of ray tracing games also use DLSS 2.0 or 2.1 now, there is no question which card is better for me... The one that promises ray tracing ALWAYS USABLE, unlike 6900XT that sucks at ray tracing in Cyberpunk, the FIRST ray tracing game of consideration to me and the entire reason I even upgraded GPU at all this round.
DLSS uses rendering resolution lower than native. That's why DLSS image quality is always worse than rendering on native resolution. I won't give any credit for DLSS because of that. And no, I won't give any credit for "whatever AMD similar solution will be" unless that somehow manages to keep image quality intact while giving more speed.

Cyberpunk is Nvidia optimized game and runs like **** with RT.
If somebody plays a bunch of competitive online stuff, AMD is the better choice overall right now. DLSS and ray tracing are meaningless to those gamers. To those like me who want the latest rendering features NOW, Nvidia is the clear choice. Nvidia, even with Reflex, is not the best competitive choice. AMD, even with Fidelity FX falls far short of the beauty of Cyberpunk with an RTX 3090 or 3080 in hand. These are facts.
Of course since, once again, Cyberpunk is Nvidia optimized title. Still buggy and runs like crap. I wouldn't give Nvidia much credit about Cyberpunk. They wanted to make game that runs poorly on AMD stuff but ended up with game that runs like crap on their cards too. Have seen same with Crysis 2 for example...

fadingfool

I think the definitive answer at the moment is whatever GPU you can find (looks like I'll be sticking with my 1080Ti for quite some time).