Nvidia or amd which is better now for gaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trying to find the best card for gaming pc. but struggle to find rtx 3070. is it worth it or better get amd card? and which is same performance?

I prefer nvidia over AMD, Nvidia has much better drivers and control panel. More AMD get hot and have heating issues some time. Also Nvidia gives ray tracing support.

6 one way, half a dozen the other. AMD and Nvidia are essentially equal now with both having some strengths over the other, but in the end washing out.

AMD has the advantages of slightly faster rasterization and more vram in the upper range (6800XT versus 3080). AMD Radeon 6000 cards tend to be a bit more power efficient than Nvidia cards.

Nvidia has the advantages of faster ray tracing, DLSS, and faster vram (GDDR6X versus GDDR6). Nvidia 3000 series Geforce cards support more next gen features in more gaming titles and will for the next year or so at least.

Software wise, both are essentially equal now, though both have features exclusive to their own control panels that is really user dependent which are better. The end result is you cannot go wrong either way.

Personally, I prefer the Nvidia route this time for the faster ray tracing and DLSS support. The ray tracing part was particularly important to me this upgrade cycle. RTX 3090 was my choice.

I prefer nvidia over AMD, Nvidia has much better drivers and control panel. More AMD get hot and have heating issues some time. Also Nvidia gives ray tracing support.
Welcome to year 2021. Nvidia 3000-series cards are much hotter than AMD's 6000-series cards 🤦‍♂️

Power consumption comparison there https://www.techspot.com/review/2216-amd-radeon-6700-xt/

6 one way, half a dozen the other. AMD and Nvidia are essentially equal now with both having some strengths over the other, but in the end washing out.

AMD has the advantages of slightly faster rasterization and more vram in the upper range (6800XT versus 3080). AMD Radeon 6000 cards tend to be a bit more power efficient than Nvidia cards.

Nvidia has the advantages of faster ray tracing, DLSS, and faster vram (GDDR6X versus GDDR6). Nvidia 3000 series Geforce cards support more next gen features in more gaming titles and will for the next year or so at least.

Software wise, both are essentially equal now, though both have features exclusive to their own control panels that is really user dependent which are better. The end result is you cannot go wrong either way.

Personally, I prefer the Nvidia route this time for the faster ray tracing and DLSS support. The ray tracing part was particularly important to me this upgrade cycle. RTX 3090 was my choice.
Quite good comparison, but: there is not yet proof that Nvidia has faster ray tracing support. There are just few ray tracing supported games and most of those are Nvidia optimized. Future may be very different.

Welcome to year 2021. Nvidia 3000-series cards are much hotter than AMD's 6000-series cards 🤦‍♂️

Power consumption comparison there https://www.techspot.com/review/2216-amd-radeon-6700-xt/

Quite good comparison, but: there is not yet proof that Nvidia has faster ray tracing support. There are just few ray tracing supported games and most of those are Nvidia optimized. Future may be very different.
Bullshit, out of 10 ray tracing games, it is solidly shown AMD leads 1 or 2. That is clear. If you have problems assimilating reality, that is fanboyism and not my problem. I love both companies and both products, but clearly you lean one way. That's YOUR problem, not mine. AMD is faster at rasterization, Nvidia PROVEN faster at ray tracing. I'm not bothering proving anything to you, your wording told me all I need to know.

Next gen I might lean AMD. Next gen, no matter what they make, you WILL buy AMD. We won't see eye to eye. I believe you are incapable of giving victories to your non-preferred company. Your very wording showed that clearly when SO many sites have shown without doubt that ray tracing plus DLSS wins over ray tracing without DLSS. Every. Single. Time.

I sat here and admitted AMD's leading points rightfully, but you try to take away Nvidia's fair leading points. We cannot come to middle ground when FACTS and every major web site out there back my position and you are unable to give victories where they are fairly won.

Also, bullshit to the AMD cards always running cooler. At stock my 3090 idles at room temperature or 1C higher, while full load never sees over 61C, almost EXACTLY the same as every 6900XT review out there.... Don't bullshit me, I own the bloody hardware itself and have it in hand.

And my 3090 isn't even the best cooled out there, the cooling is inferior to the Founders Edition physically and still matches it temp for temp. 3090 at stock is a very well controlled chip and not stupidly hot. If there is a 1-2C difference between my 3090 and 6900XT, it can fall either way which one is leading cooler.

Finally, I stand firmly on my assertion, the advantages each card holds over the other are definite, but not overwhelming. AMD's rasterization advantage is small, Nvidia's ray tracing advantage is small.... DLSS support in most of the games I play is NOT SMALL!!!!!!!

Since the vast majority of ray tracing games also use DLSS 2.0 or 2.1 now, there is no question which card is better for me... The one that promises ray tracing ALWAYS USABLE, unlike 6900XT that sucks at ray tracing in Cyberpunk, the FIRST ray tracing game of consideration to me and the entire reason I even upgraded GPU at all this round.

If somebody plays a bunch of competitive online stuff, AMD is the better choice overall right now. DLSS and ray tracing are meaningless to those gamers. To those like me who want the latest rendering features NOW, Nvidia is the clear choice. Nvidia, even with Reflex, is not the best competitive choice. AMD, even with Fidelity FX falls far short of the beauty of Cyberpunk with an RTX 3090 or 3080 in hand. These are facts.

Last edited:
Bullshit, out of 10 ray tracing games, it is solidly shown AMD leads 1 or 2. That is clear. If you have problems assimilating reality, that is fanboyism and not my problem. I love both companies and both products, but clearly you lean one way. That's YOUR problem, not mine. AMD is faster at rasterization, Nvidia PROVEN faster at ray tracing. I'm not bothering proving anything to you, your wording told me all I need to know.
10 games!!! Add two zeros and come back then. You do realize that on article linked above Techspot tested with just 14 games and that is not much. Still it's more than 10 (RT games). To proof something you'll need much more games.

Because out of those 10 games around 8 are Nvidia optimized, there is no proof that Nvidia is faster on RT. Also there is no definite proof that AMD is faster for rasterization, because just like with RT, Infinity Cache may or may not make big difference. One way or another.

Next gen I might lean AMD. Next gen, no matter what they make, you WILL buy AMD. We won't see eye to eye. I believe you are incapable of giving victories to your non-preferred company. Your very wording showed that clearly when SO many sites have shown without doubt that ray tracing plus DLSS wins over ray tracing without DLSS. Every. Single. Time.

I sat here and admitted AMD's leading points rightfully, but you try to take away Nvidia's fair leading points. We cannot come to middle ground when FACTS and every major web site out there back my position and you are unable to give victories where they are fairly won.
DLSS lowers image quality that is essentially same as cheating. You can find countless examples of this. Quite strange that cheating with image quality suddenly is acceptable when it comes to DLSS 🤔 DLSS vs native is like comparing 1080p vs 4K.

Facts? Few Nvidia optimized RT titles = Nvidia is faster on RT? Good luck with that.

Also, bullshit to the AMD cards always running cooler. At stock my 3090 idles at room temperature or 1C higher, while full load never sees over 61C, almost EXACTLY the same as every 6900XT review out there.... Don't bullshit me, I own the bloody hardware itself and have it in hand.

And my 3090 isn't even the best cooled out there, the cooling is inferior to the Founders Edition physically and still matches it temp for temp. 3090 at stock is a very well controlled chip and not stupidly hot. If there is a 1-2C difference between my 3090 and 6900XT, it can fall either way which one is leading cooler.
First, comparing temperatures between AMD and Nvidia cards is not valid, especially when those temperatures are software based. Secondly, of course cooling solution matters. 10W GPU could run hotter than 200W GPU if 10W GPU has poor enough cooling.

But, since AMD consumes so much less energy, we can fairly say AMD runs cooler with "same level" of cooling.

Finally, I stand firmly on my assertion, the advantages each card holds over the other are definite, but not overwhelming. AMD's rasterization advantage is small, Nvidia's ray tracing advantage is small.... DLSS support in most of the games I play is NOT SMALL!!!!!!!

Since the vast majority of ray tracing games also use DLSS 2.0 or 2.1 now, there is no question which card is better for me... The one that promises ray tracing ALWAYS USABLE, unlike 6900XT that sucks at ray tracing in Cyberpunk, the FIRST ray tracing game of consideration to me and the entire reason I even upgraded GPU at all this round.
DLSS uses rendering resolution lower than native. That's why DLSS image quality is always worse than rendering on native resolution. I won't give any credit for DLSS because of that. And no, I won't give any credit for "whatever AMD similar solution will be" unless that somehow manages to keep image quality intact while giving more speed.

Cyberpunk is Nvidia optimized game and runs like **** with RT.
If somebody plays a bunch of competitive online stuff, AMD is the better choice overall right now. DLSS and ray tracing are meaningless to those gamers. To those like me who want the latest rendering features NOW, Nvidia is the clear choice. Nvidia, even with Reflex, is not the best competitive choice. AMD, even with Fidelity FX falls far short of the beauty of Cyberpunk with an RTX 3090 or 3080 in hand. These are facts.
Of course since, once again, Cyberpunk is Nvidia optimized title. Still buggy and runs like crap. I wouldn't give Nvidia much credit about Cyberpunk. They wanted to make game that runs poorly on AMD stuff but ended up with game that runs like crap on their cards too. Have seen same with Crysis 2 for example...

AMD also has ray tracing, not sure why people think only nvidia does RT. Also the Radeon 6000 cards are faster at rasterization performance at 1080p, and 1440p, and are equal in performance at 4k. Radeon 6000 consumes less power. Radeon's ray tracing performance is about 30 to 40% slower than GeFroce 3000 cards. AMD has FSR now. Not to mention Unreal Engine 5 was heavily optimized for Radeon 6000 cards.

Last edited:

Both cards suck at RTX in cyberpunk, becuase cyberpunk sucks at doing anything.

Getting an Ampere card is much easier. I had my hands on like 10+ different Ampere cards so far but only two Radeon 6000, a 6800 non-XT and a 6700XT.

This probably explains it.

AMDs Ray Tracing performance is terrible, if you care. I don't really.

DLSS (2.x) is better and more widespread than FSR, plus FSR supports Nvidia cards too. I love this feature, especially in demanding AAA games, a lifesaver.

DLSS on Quality Mode actually boost performance and image quality. Google Outriders DLSS if you want proof. It looks BETTER THAN NATIVE when enabled (on Quality preset). FSR does not look better than native, regardless of preset and Nvidia soon launches Ultra Quality preset, so it will look even better (performance drops slightly but 25-40% performance on top of better image quality than native? SIGN ME UP).

I have 3080 as a daily driver and a 3070 in my HTPC/TV RIG. Both are awesome.

3080 excels at 4K/UHD gaming, at 1080p-1440p they are not much different in terms of perofrmance, 3070 / GA104 consumes way less power than GA102 (3080, 3080 Ti and 3090) and GDDR6X uses alot more power than GDDR6 too. My 3080 consumes almost twice as many watts as my 3070. Like 200-225 watts vs 380-420 watts. 3070 has MUCH BETTER performance per watt, obviously. A perfect 1440p card if you ask me, 8GB is plenty for this res.

3070 Ti uses like 80-90 watts more than 3070 but only performs 5% better at 1440p overall. The extra bandwidth of GDDR6X does pretty much nothing at 1440p and 8GB is not something that will age well for 4K/UHD gaming (right now tho, it not a problem in 99.9% of games even on max settings).

If you play at 1440p even 3060 Ti and 6700XT will do you fine, even for high fps/refresh rate gaming. If you play at 4K/UHD @ 120-144 Hz you need 3080 or 6800XT IMO! Or better yet 3080 Ti or 6900XT - 3090 has insanely bad price/perf, worse than 2080 Ti which sucked in terms of price/perf, so it's not worth considering at all over 3080 Ti and 6900XT.

Last edited:
Ampere outsold RDNA2 bigtime;

If people don't trust Steam HW Survey (most AMD fanboys don't - lol), then take a look at 3DMark database, which shows the same thing.

All top retailers in EU have AMPERE CARDS as most popular sellers too. It is a fact that Ampere sold way better. No matter how you look at it, Nvidia Ampere dominates the charts.

Very few people are going to choose an AMD GPU unless price/performance is much better than what Nvidia offers, and this is not the case right now. Sadly. On top of this, TSMC can't deliver, so AMD pretty much sells nothing.

Nvidia have better Ray Tracing and DLSS on top which can be used alone for a big perf boost.

AMD priced their GPUs way too high this time, but they are struggling with delivery from TSMC, so they probably don't care much. Lower prices would just mean out of stock instead.

Nvidia went Samsung for good reason this time. Nvidia predicted this and got a good deal with Samsung.

I guess AMD prioritize console APUs and CPUs over GPU's. TSMC can't keep up.

Ampere outsold RDNA2 bigtime;

If people don't trust Steam HW Survey (most AMD fanboys don't - lol), then take a look at 3DMark database, which shows the same thing.

All top retailers in EU have AMPERE CARDS as most popular sellers too. It is a fact that Ampere sold way better. No matter how you look at it, Nvidia Ampere dominates the charts.
Steam survey is not ANY kind of indication about products sold. Author of that article is troll or *****.

Care to explain why AMD's most sold card (according to Steam) is 9 year old OEM card? Good luck.
Very few people are going to choose an AMD GPU unless price/performance is much better than what Nvidia offers, and this is not the case right now. Sadly. On top of this, TSMC can't deliver, so AMD pretty much sells nothing.
AMD cards availability right now is much better than Nvidia cards. So much about that.
Nvidia have better Ray Tracing and DLSS on top which can be used alone for a big perf boost.

AMD priced their GPUs way too high this time, but they are struggling with delivery from TSMC, so they probably don't care much. Lower prices would just mean out of stock instead.

Nvidia went Samsung for good reason this time. Nvidia predicted this and got a good deal with Samsung.
DLSs is useless for most and Ray Tracing is way too slow.

Shops set prices for cards, not AMD.

Yeah, Nvidia cards run so hot they were banned https://www.techspot.com/news/90575-dell-cant-ship-alienware-pcs-certain-us-states.html

Also one game destroys RTX 3090 cards https://www.techspot.com/news/90503-amazon-new-world-reportedly-destroying-rtx-3090-cards.html

AMD cards work, and work cool (y) (Y)

Steam survey is not ANY kind of indication about products sold. Author of that article is troll or *****.

Care to explain why AMD's most sold card (according to Steam) is 9 year old OEM card? Good luck.

AMD cards availability right now is much better than Nvidia cards. So much about that.

DLSs is useless for most and Ray Tracing is way too slow.

Shops set prices for cards, not AMD.

Yeah, Nvidia cards run so hot they were banned https://www.techspot.com/news/90575-dell-cant-ship-alienware-pcs-certain-us-states.html

Also one game destroys RTX 3090 cards https://www.techspot.com/news/90503-amazon-new-world-reportedly-destroying-rtx-3090-cards.html

AMD cards work, and work cool (y) (Y)

DLSS is in tons of games and the most popular game engines have native support by now. I have used DLSS in tons of games on all my Ampere cards; 3080 Ti, 3080 and 3070.

And nah, like I said, 3Dmark database shows Ampere dominates too. The same with big retailers (most popular products and bestsellers, Ampere dominates all over).

AMDs GPU availablity is worse than Nvidia's by far. AMD was not able to deliver back in Q1-Q2 where demand was on it's high peak. AMD has been prioritizing console APUs (They have to fulfill contract with MS and Sony) + CPU's.

AMD cards work yeah .. but Nvidia dominates, no matter how you look at it.

AMD FSR is worse than DLSS and work with Nvidia cards too. However FSR have insanely low support in games. A handful of games has FSR. 100+ have DLSS by now and pretty much all new AAA Games gets it.

Techspot tested FSR vs DLSS and DLSS won easily. Other sites tested too, DLSS won. FSR is just a spacial upscaler with a sharpening filter. DLSS is far more advanced. DLSS can improve on native visuals, FSR can't.

BF 2042 gets DLSS. Biggest PC release in years.

Sigh .. New World broke all kinds of GPUs including AMD..

Last edited:
DLSS is in tons of games and the most popular game engines have native support by now. I have used DLSS in tons of games on all my Ampere cards; 3080 Ti, 3080 and 3070.
Tons of games = around 70 :joy:

I predict that FSR has much wider support end of this year than DLSS. Wanna bet?
And nah, like I said, 3Dmark database shows Ampere dominates too. The same with big retailers (most popular products and bestsellers, Ampere dominates all over).
At 11:1 ratio? Strange that total ratio is 4:1 and AMD's previous generation (5000 series) uses same manufacturing tech that 6000 series uses. So what are those cards AMD delivers? Something older than 5000-series? Oh yes, OEM cards from 2012 :D
AMDs GPU availablity is worse than Nvidia's by far. AMD was not able to deliver back in Q1-Q2 where demand was on it's high peak. AMD has been prioritizing console APUs (They have to fulfill contract with MS and Sony) + CPU's.
AMD released cards later so that is expected, nothing special there.

There is no console priorization, AMD agreed to sell certain amount of wafers (decided years ago), not certain amout of chips.
AMD cards work yeah .. but Nvidia dominates, no matter how you look at it.

AMD FSR is worse than DLSS and work with Nvidia cards too. However FSR have insanely low support in games. A handful of games has FSR. 100+ have DLSS by now and pretty much all new AAA Games gets it.

Techspot tested FSR vs DLSS and DLSS won easily. Other sites tested too, DLSS won. FSR is just a spacial upscaler with a sharpening filter. DLSS is far more advanced. DLSS can improve on native visuals, FSR can't.

BF 2042 gets DLSS. Biggest PC release in years.
FSR just released under two months ago. DLSS relased 2 years ago. DLSS adoption rate is simply super slow. Around 70 games have DLSS. Pathetic result.

DLSS cannot improve native visuals unless native is crapped somehow. BF2042, another game that cheaters will ruin.

Tons of games = around 70 :joy:

I predict that FSR has much wider support end of this year than DLSS. Wanna bet?

At 11:1 ratio? Strange that total ratio is 4:1 and AMD's previous generation (5000 series) uses same manufacturing tech that 6000 series uses. So what are those cards AMD delivers? Something older than 5000-series? Oh yes, OEM cards from 2012 :D

AMD released cards later so that is expected, nothing special there.

There is no console priorization, AMD agreed to sell certain amount of wafers (decided years ago), not certain amout of chips.

FSR just released under two months ago. DLSS relased 2 years ago. DLSS adoption rate is simply super slow. Around 70 games have DLSS. Pathetic result.

DLSS cannot improve native visuals unless native is crapped somehow. BF2042, another game that cheaters will ruin.
DLSS will dominate by the end of the year, just like it did so far. All big AAA games will get it, already official.

Yep, improves on native image quality PLUS improves performance.

Do you even have experience with DLSS? I have. Several hundred hours of gaming with DLSS enabled since I recieved my first Ampere card back in Sep 2020, a RTX 3080.

You have no clue about what you are saying. LOL. Ampere dominates all over, including MINING, which you don't see or hear about. Millions and millions Ampere GPU's are used for mining. They are simply much better than RNDA2 / Radeon 6000 for mining and STILL BEATS AMD on GAMING SALES.

Imagine that Nvidia Ampere cards are SUPERIOR for miners, yet Ampere still DOMINATE on GAMING SEGMENT. Nvidia have been shipping WAY MORE GPU's than AMD and still does. Radeon 6000 was a huge paper launch. Biggest paperlaunch ever made pretty much.

FSR support have been shitty and most games are complete garbage, non-AAA top tier. DLSS is features in top-rated AAA games and this will continue. Why? Because Nvidia have power and money to get it implemented.

FSR won't dominate anything, because it's simply a spacial upscaler with sharpening applied. Nothing new. Consoles used this for years + dynamic res.

FSR and DLSS is nothing alike. DLSS is far more advanced and DLSS wins in every single comparison.

FSR can't be improved, DLSS can be improved further.

Why? Because FSR is nothing new and based on a modified Lanczos upscaler. THERE IS NOTHING TO IMPROVE ON. Do you even know how FSR and DLSS work in depth!? Like seriously? I does not sound like it :joy:

Last edited:
DLSS will dominate by the end of the year, just like it did so far. All big AAA games will get it, already official.

Yep, improves on native image quality PLUS improves performance.
Now tell me how using DLSS gives picture information that is missing using native resolution?

Equally you could claim that lowering resolution gives better image quality. Also those are screenshots, not video. I doubt anyone plays screenshots.
You have no clue about what you are saying. LOL. Ampere dominates all over, including MINING, which you don't see or hear about. Millions and millions Ampere GPU's are used for mining. They are simply much better than RNDA2 / Radeon 6000 for mining and STILL BEATS AMD on GAMING SALES.

Imagine that Nvidia Ampere cards are SUPERIOR for miners, yet Ampere still DOMINATE on GAMING SEGMENT. Nvidia have been shipping WAY MORE GPU's than AMD and still does. Radeon 6000 was a huge paper launch. Biggest paperlaunch ever made pretty much.
Because most Amperes go to mining, that's 100% proof that Steam data is invalid.
FSR support have been shitty and most games are complete garbage, non-AAA top tier. DLSS is features in top-rated AAA games and this will continue. Why? Because Nvidia have power and money to get it implemented.
Top rated games like Cyberpunk? Yeah, DLSS have been around two years and it's still niche.
FSR won't dominate anything, because it's simply a spacial upscaler with sharpening applied. Nothing new. Consoles used this for years + dynamic res.

FSR and DLSS is nothing alike. DLSS is far more advanced and DLSS wins in every single comparison.

FSR can't be improved, DLSS can be improved further.
FSR perhaps cannot be improved a lot but FSR successor could be. Again, FSR is 100 times easier to use and it will get much wider support. That's the point of FSR. Good enough for most and virtually every game could support it.

Just like Freesync vs G-Sync. G-Sync may have been "better" but Freesync was much cheaper and eventually Nvidia has basically abandoned G-Sync. It's just not worth it.
Why? Because FSR is nothing new and based on a modified Lanczos upscaler. THERE IS NOTHING TO IMPROVE ON. Do you even know how FSR and DLSS work in depth!? Like seriously? I does not sound like it :joy:
Yeah? That means there won't ever be successor for FSR? While Nvidia is stuck with DLSS, Microsoft is building something better. Something AMD will very probably use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back